Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Ultra 3516 fix and issue
Gianluca_Rigotti [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2007 15:14 Messages: 75 Offline
[Post New]
This new patch seems to works well on my system. The "second monitor" bug is bypassed using the workaround described early.

But the new "feature" that disable the harddisk playback of hd content is really infamous. I think that this is a total wrong way to move for Cyberlink. I read the requests of refund of the users in this and other forums. I don't use rips, I play directly from discs every time. My interest is in see the movie and I don't make any rip in my whole life except with the Spiderman trilogy using with the old PDVD (the only way to see it). The idea that the company remove features from a paid software because it don't trust on my honestly make me sad. It's offensive.
I'll continue to use PowerDVD until a real alternative software will be available. I think that it will be the new DigitalTheatre from ArcSoft. Then I'll ask for a refund to leave PowerDVD.
Corey [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 09, 2007 15:50 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
Whether your a friend of DRM or hate it....whether you choose HD DVD or Blu Ray....with these descisions made for us on how we choose to watch movies we all loose. I'm happy to pay to play but let me choose from where.

I certainly will no longer support Cyberlink or upgrade to newer versions of the software. Like AACS encryption it's only making it profitable now to the underground software devs that will eventually crack this limitation as well.
David [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2007 15:49 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Let me get this straight...
The newest PowerDVD Ultra will not play ripped movies any more?

This thread has been here for a few days now and no Official comment on what gives?

Playback from HDD was one of the things that made PowerDVD pull away from WinDVD.

What a shame...

Daisuke [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Oct 03, 2006 06:25 Messages: 354 Offline
[Post New]
Please see the link.
It's the content protection issue of Blu-ray disc/HDDVD.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2106.page
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Please see the link.
It's the content protection issue of Blu-ray disc/HDDVD.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2106.page

Like I said, this basic PowerDVD function is what set PowerDVD apart from WinDVD.

Since your player no longer supports playback from harddisk, you are going to lose customers - alot!
My WinDVD BD Fro VAIO will playback from the disc... it will also take commands from the remote control... you know, like Play/Pause/FFW/RW/Skip/Menu/etc...

So, inform me, inform all of us - what is the reason we should buy/use PowerDVD?

Gianluca_Rigotti [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2007 15:14 Messages: 75 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: So, inform me, inform all of us - what is the reason we should buy/use PowerDVD?
In my opinion the reasons are the fear of piracy, and a strong reaction to Slysoft AnyDVD HD software. With the newest protection technologies failure the only way to contrast the backups is to make impossible to play any HD movie witout a protected disc.
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: So, inform me, inform all of us - what is the reason we should buy/use PowerDVD?
In my opinion the reasons are the fear of piracy, and a strong reaction to Slysoft AnyDVD HD software. With the newest protection technologies failure the only way to contrast the backups is to make impossible to play any HD movie witout a protected disc.

Think about this laptop.
*IF* I were to update, I would have to carry several Blu-ray Discs when I travel.
Who is going to cover my Blu-ray Discs if they get damaged? No one!
If the BDs are ripped to the HDD and play from there, my investment(in the BDs *AND* Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra) makes sense.

If people cannot use PowerDVD Ultra as it was originally designed, why would they want to buy a copy/upgrade?

Cyberlink, you are shooting yourself in the foot! Repeatedly!
I can no longer recommend PowerDVD Ultra to any of the people I know/meet with Blu-ray Disc enabled computers.

Adam [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 29, 2006 10:38 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
What content protection issue? If you play a Blu-ray BDMV structure disc from your hard drive it has no protection and therefore there is no issue. I make my own films using Adobe Encore which make BDMV structure discs, also DVDitPro HD which also does the same and now I am unable to play them back to test them before wasting a disc due to this backwards step. Other people have Sony cameras that record direct as a BDMV folder and they are also now dumped by Cyberlink over this. If it was purely down to content protection then others like Nero would have had to pull there's too.
David [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nero?
I'm there dude!
Adam [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 29, 2006 10:38 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
I've now asked for a refund as this is unacceptable
potnoodles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2007 11:50 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This is really annoying. I didnt mind paying for PDVD but I do object to this hobbling of my software by supposed upgrade.

Imagine taking your car for a service and they remove your ability to get into fifth gear. - you would sue!! Someone amongst the US customers should begin a 'Class action' against Cyberlink. They took money for providing a service which they subsequently removed.

I have 2 main machines 1 of which is triple boot Vista, Xp and Ubuntu.
Having installed the patch on all windows OS's I then re-installed the older version to regain rip capability on 1 vista OS and XP but kept the upgrade on my other vista OS. (Luckily I still had access to my previous Install/Upgrade)

Like others in the forum I am actively looking at alternatives both free and paid for.

Alternatives I have looked at

XP and vista

Nero 7 premium with BR HDDVD plugin.
This plays rips but performance is not so great (not utilising Nvidia hardware capabilitiesI think)

Ubuntu
Latest SVN of Mplayer
Almost there - plays video .evo files just fine (rips) but I have no sound as yet.

regards