Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering times with a new setup.
leeroyzzz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2011 20:04 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. Can someone tell me difference in rendering if I upgrade to a quad core I5 or I7?
I currently have a Core2 Duo E6400 with 8GRAM, Windows 7.

I just got a new vid card Nvidia GTC550ti with 1Gram and when I produce a video my processors are pegged at 100% but my video card is only at around 25% so I assume that my CPUs are bottleneck?

What kind of improvements would a new processor setup make? 10%,50%,2x, 3x??
An hr of video took about 5hrs to create a BD to the harddrive.

Thanks
leeroyzzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh and just to add it's all HD video that I'm working with.
Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2012 12:38

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi. Can someone tell me difference in rendering if I upgrade to a quad core I5 or I7?
I currently have a Core2 Duo E6400 with 8GRAM, Windows 7.

I just got a new vid card Nvidia GTC550ti with 1Gram and when I produce a video my processors are pegged at 100% but my video card is only at around 25% so I assume that my CPUs are bottleneck?

What kind of improvements would a new processor setup make? 10%,50%,2x, 3x??
An hr of video took about 5hrs to create a BD to the harddrive.

Thanks

It takes more that just a processor upgrade to make a great improvement in rendering speed.

There are many factors that go into how fast your computer can render a video, CPU, GPU, Memory and space on the Hard drive. C: drive must have plenty of free space (about 100 GB) for the temp files that Powerdirector needs. The 100 GB of free space is really important if you are working with HD files.

The OS you have makes a big difference also. Windows 7 64 bit is the fastest now.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Part A and Part B will tell us more about your current computer setup, therefore we can give better advice on what you might need to upgrade.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

leeroyzzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry should have provided more info.
OS is Windows 7, 64bit. Powerdirector 9,64bit.
8GigRam, 500G HD space.
VC is Nvidia GTC550ti with 1GRAM

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You did not provide the requested information We need to see the whole Dxdiag.txt file.

There is a great deal more information in that file than what you posted.

Please attach the Dxdiag.txt file to the fourm. Use the Post Reply button not the Quick Reply button.

The Post Reply button provides a blue Attachments button.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

leeroyzzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry about that. Attached is the dxdiag.txt information.

Thanks so much for the help!.
I love the program and want to see what I can do to speed things up!
If there's anything else you need please let me know.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
302 time(s)
Carl312
[Post New]
Your Video driver is dated 10/15/2011. Not old but looks like a new driver has been released.

The one on the web site is a little bit newer 10/24/2011
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.62-whql-driver.html

Your CPU could be upgraded if your motherboard will support a 4 core, faster CPU in the 3+ GHz range.

leeroyzzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
You think 7 days matter? Maybe they did some improvements.

Also do you have any answers, or comments, about my original question. Thanks!
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: You think 7 days matter? Maybe they did some improvements.

Also do you have any answers, or comments, about my original question. Thanks!

Sometimes they build another driver to solve some body's problem, so it is very possible it might make a difference if you have the problem that they fixed.

No, I do not have any direct answer to the question if a CPU upgrade will improve your rendering time.

I do know that a faster CPU does improve the time. But so many factors determine the time.

I have a pretty fast computer, but it still takes 2-3 hours to render a one hour 45 minute Bluray disk. I used Hardware to reduce the time. I do not usually use Hardware acceleration, I sometime get artifacts in HD video.

Here is a site that has benchmarks for both CPU and GPU (video cards).
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Look at the high end CPU and high end Video cards.

It just takes time to do HD video.
At least rendering time has gotten shorter, it used to take a day or two to render a Movie.

That is because of Video Cards (GPU) that can help and faster CPU, 64 bit Operating system and 8-16 GB of Memory. Hard drive space is important. You must have over 100 GB of free space to do HD video and Bluray disks.