Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shortening clips/titles messes up entire timeline
Slinden [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2012 01:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hey folks, I had a quick question.

Let's say I have a great video going, one with many titles in it. Now, let's say I want to add one in the middle of all these. I insert it, which is fine. But then I want that title to be shorter. If I shorten it on the right side, then all the titles on that track move back the same amount I shortened. I'm not sure who's idea this was, since it messes up the entire timeline. The only ways I've found to get around this are to either create a new track for every title, or to go into the options and make the titles the exact length you want them (which is incredibly tedious).

My question is, is there any way around this problem?
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Slinden,

A solution I see is changing the title block size by adjusting its LEFT side and than moving the block back to its desired position. It's still two operations but you might be able to place each title's right side to the desired position when adding it to avoid the latter operation.

Perhaps someone knows of a better, semantically cleaner way. I do agree it should be possible to switch between "insert" and "overwrite" modes for this but I couldn't find such a feature...
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You need to start working with a "junk" track. If you need to make an adjustment such as you describe, drag the title to an empty track, I keep my top-track empty. Adjust the file, replace to position. This is also good practice for deleting. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
This may or may not help. I had posted a question about the timeline moving in response to editing and
this solution helped me:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20439.page Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
That is a good practice for deletion, but duration changes are a different animal. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Slinden [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2012 01:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Alright, both of your solutions (shortening left side and the junk track) work. It's not as precise as I'd like it to be, but it's a lot better than what I was doing.

Thanks.