Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD11Ultra 2408 random freezes
Cyberwulf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2011 20:35 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
After updating to patch 2408, PowerDVD11Ultra now freezes for 5-10 seconds at a time during random intervals whilst watching blu ray movies.

My specs:-

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Sony Optiarc 5300 blu ray player (also tried my old LG Super Multi Blu player and got same freezes)
24GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz
3x Nvidia GTX580 graphics cards in 3-way SLI (latest drivers 290.53)
1200w PSU
Core i7 980X @ 3.3ghz (stock speed)
Direct X is up to date and all windows updates are installed too.

Blu Ray movies tested:-

Daybreakers - random 5-10 second freezes every so often
Horrible Bosses - random 5-10 second freezes every so often
Thor - random 5-10 second freezes every so often
Cowboys and Aliens - random 5-10 second freezes every so often

I think you get the picture... please fix it, Cyberlink. I paid good money for those movies and for your software.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
366 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2011 19:58

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20554.page

See my post in this thread too. Now having the same problem.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

please disable SLI and try again and let me know if it still shows the jitter issue.

Please also let me know if this happens with all titles or only some specific.

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Michael when you guys test your software at your labs, do you guys get problems with freezes??? It seems like this is an on going problem for some users including my self for a couple of years.
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Manroid

no we do not face freeze issue - it would be an serious issue.

From my experience freeze issue are mostly caused by HW issue, like faulty RAM or overheating.

For Video playback freeze the issue can be even more complicate to narrow down:
- codec packs that overwrite CyberLink original codecs with cracked ones
- Antivirus solution disturbing PowerDVD when scan
- ODD drive Firmware malfunction
- Drivers not up-to-date
- other third party Software interfering with PDVD

Please do not misundestand me - I believe that you have the issue. But to narrow down to the root cause is some kind of impossible because it is maybe only related to your platform and SW environment.

If you can provide as many info about your platform as possible it would be great.

greetings
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
There are two things left on the machine that may interfere with Cyberlink product(s), Windows Defender and Windows Fire Wall. I will disable those and report back.

Unlikely it's hardware related since Total Media Theatre works (Beta Version).

Computer has a fresh install of W7 with no security updates and no anti virus software. I also found that security up date KB2567680 caused frame drops with both Cyberlink and TMT5.

Right now I am running an old version of Media Smart DVD which in the past worked well or at least I don't remember the freezing issues with it. the "Dolphin Tale" seems to give the most trouble. It plays really well and then stops for a good 10 to 20 seconds 10 minutes in while the audio continues. DVD10 and DVD11 behave in a different way with jerky play back through out.

I am starting with MS DVD because I have to remove all the variables, ounce I get that to work, I will start with DVD11 Ultra.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Michael, Well I went into the task manager and permanently disabled Windows Firewall and Windows Defender and the problem is better, but far from cured.
At the beginning of Cowboy's and Aliens there is a long slow pan of the desert brush and it makes it through that just fine. About five or ten minutes into the movie it starts to get a little jerky and jumpy. If I hop all over the movie from scene to scene every thing seems fine until I let it play a bit and it starts the same thing.

I did a memory and hard drive test and nothing wrong was found.

Changing the refresh rate from 23 (23.976) to 24 Hz, makes very little difference, it's symptoms just reveal themselves at different intervals and frequencies.

I have been at this for so long that I am convinced that any Cyberlink Blu-ray player is incompatible with the frame interpolation feature on my projector.

I was running the free version from HP of Power DVD10 and I did not think of testing it or DVD11 Ultra.

I pretty much just wasted my 60.00 dollars.

Unless you have something else to suggest, I am fresh out of ideas.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I did a little experiment, I turned off the frame interpolation feature, set the video card back to 60Hz and put all the settings back to what they were when Power DVD was first installed. ( de-interlaced mode enabled)
The frame judder returned of course and if I turned it back on, the frame judder would stop, but intermittently return. So what I thought were dropped frames or jerky play back if you like was actually the inability for the frame creation to work with Power DVD.
Do you have a monitor or LCD TV with a frame interpolation feature that you can try with Power DVD ? I bet you it wouldn't work.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 05. 2012 02:45

TheDudeiswatching [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2010 00:20 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff,
Try at 60 Hz refresh rate. All 3 graphics companies are having problems getting 24 Hz to work right in their drivers. Some drivers look OK wiht some software, but none are working well with everything. Let you PC do the pull-down rather than your projector. I drive an Epson 8350 and find it behaves smoothly being driven at 60 Hz from my ATI/AMD graphics.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the response, it's really appreciated, I don't think I am going to get a response from Cyberlink. None at all is the answer and it leaves me to assume they don't have the equipment to duplicate my problem or they can't be bothered.

I am satisfied that it's Cyberlink's software since Total Media Theater works well well at 23 Hz (23.976). I don't think Cyberlink has the recipe correct to work with frame interpolation.

I also found that ArcSoft forums are more of a videofile environment then here and much more helpful. Keep in mind it has lots of complaints too about their product and many comments that "Power DVD 11 works, what's the matter with Arcsoft". Most of the complaints over there are from the inability of the Start Wars discs not playing.

The problem with Cyberlinks software is that it's applying 3:2 pull down to a progressive disc. I think I am correct in saying that 99.9% of all Blu-rays are recorded at 23.976 fps progressive. Cyberlink applies the 3:2 pull down or makes use of the computers graphics card to do it so you can watch Blu-ray on a computer who's only refresh rate 60 Hz Progressive.

When I try to change this it doesn't work very well with Power DVD11.

I can play a Blu-ray with the settings you suggested and it works fine, but when I turn on my frame interpolation feature on my Panasonic PT-AE4000 projector, everything goes to hell. Setting my video card to refresh at 23 hz works better then applying 3:2 pull down and letting the Frame Creation feature deal with that mess.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2012 00:00

Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Manroid

no we do not face freeze issue - it would be an serious issue.

From my experience freeze issue are mostly caused by HW issue, like faulty RAM or overheating.

For Video playback freeze the issue can be even more complicate to narrow down:
- codec packs that overwrite CyberLink original codecs with cracked ones
- Antivirus solution disturbing PowerDVD when scan
- ODD drive Firmware malfunction
- Drivers not up-to-date
- other third party Software interfering with PDVD

Please do not misundestand me - I believe that you have the issue. But to narrow down to the root cause is some kind of impossible because it is maybe only related to your platform and SW environment.

If you can provide as many info about your platform as possible it would be great.

greetings
Michael

Michael I do understand what you're saying but just to say all the posts I've ever read about this problem, people have never fixed there issue.

Can this problem exist with a problem being a bluray drive, Sata ports connected to the bluray drive? This is the last thing I can think of. I am working on attaching the diag files soon on the next post.
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here ya go Michael. thank you.
 Filename
DxDiag32.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
348 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
482 time(s)
Manoroid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Random is right. Freezes more in the night time. Wth!
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After a number of months I think I managed to find what is causing the random jerky play-back and it has very little to do with Cyberlink. Notice I didn't say nothing to do withe Cyberlink.

Power DVD11 (and possibly any other Blu-ray playing software) is affected by background tasks, whether it be from any given anti virus program, Windows update (security or otherwise).

Trying to find what application that is affecting playback is impossible since it's so random and in my case very short, only lasting a few seconds. Even when I have the task manager open it shows nothing when the "jerkiness" happens. The processor is barley working even when a Blu-ray is playing, showing less the .01% to 1% for Power DVD11 and even less for Windows.

So even though this is not really a solution, it's not totally Cyberlink's fault. The question is, why can't Cyberlink (Digital River) design a player that is not so easily effected by back ground tasks ???

@ Manoroid, if your problem is more prevalent at night, look for a program that is set to check and/or run updates at night.

I am running W7 right now with as many Windows applications shut off as possible. The problem with that is, that even when they appear to be disabled in the task manager under "Services" Windows still keeps throwing messages in the background that these things are disabled. These massages also appear to affect playback.

With me specifically Power DVD10 which is free for HP owners installs a Microsoft Visual package, when I install my upgrade to Power DVD11 and it's updates, another Visual package is installed. The first Visual package that was installed for the proper operation of DV10 interferes with the playback of DVD11. The jerky play back was quite severe, simply uninstalling the first Visual package solved this problem.

I am at the point now where it plays rather well with about 5 seconds of jerkiness every 10 to 20 minutes.

I am still tracking down what is causing this and when I reinstall the OS with all Updates I am hoping that Windows will stay quiet as to not affect DVD11.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2012 00:32

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I need to make a correction first, the Microsoft Visual package that is installed when Power DVD10 is run, is the one that needs to stay. The other Visual package that comes in with Power DVD 11's final update {2408} is what needs to be uninstalled. With me it causes jerky play back right from the start.

I reinstalled the OS and ran all Microsoft updates as well as the optional ones, I am also running Microsoft Security Essentials, which I found had to be disabled. MSE caused jerky playback when it was running.

The problem with the jerky playback still persists, although it's very little, only happening about every ten minutes or so and each duration is very short. If it wasn't for my frame interpolation feature, I probably wouldn't notice it.

Here is the interesting part, when I change the refresh rate from 23.976 Hz to 24 Hz, the jerkiness changes its intervals. It happens more frequently at 24 Hz, but the duration is even shorter.

I believe that this is the best I can expect as I have exhausted all the possibilities that I think can cause this problem. The CPU is barely working at 1% or less and if there is something in the background that us causing this problem, I can't find it. Also note that I disconnected from the internet while all this is going on.

I would expect a computer based Blu-ray player to at least perform as well as my stand-alone player and changing the refresh rate that effects the jerkiness proves that there still needs to be some work done on Power DVD 11.

Hopefully DVD 12 will work perfectly...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2012 01:50

Tyomni [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 12, 2011 12:31 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Have You checked with disabled SLIs? It Should help.
[Post New]
@cyberwulf

any update on my posting to disable the SLI?

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan