Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 10 64bit Ultra - Audio increasingly out-of-sync when previewing or burning
Scott H. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 15, 2009 09:39 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I start with one or more VOB files. To verify them, I open any one of them with Windows Classic Player from the KLite package. They all look and sound good throughout their duration.

Start a new project in PD 10 and add one or all of the VOBs. When I click on one and view it in the preview window, again everything is good. In particular, I can move to the end of the video and the audio is in sync with the video. However, when I drag one of the VOBs onto the timeline and preview it, the audio starts in sync but, as the video plays, it becomes increasingly out of sync with the video. This behavior is entirely reproducible with the same VOB and across all VOBs. If I string the VOBs together on the timeline, the audio is really out of sync by the end of the video. If I produce the project, the audio/video behavior is the same as the preview behavior.

I started with the original version of PD 10, and applied to two updates supplied to date. I've updated to the latest set of KLite 32 and 64 bit codecs. Updated the ATI drivers for my Radeon 5670 card. I've also systematically turned off any hardware decoding/encoding options in various combinations. My AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core processor is still respectable and my SATA disk array has terabytes of free space. I uninstalled PD 10, cleaned the registry (CCleaner), installed PD 10 and applied only the last patch. Same behavior. I've attached the DxDiag file if anyone is interested.

Since finding that the preview of the content matches what I am producing, I've ruled out any influences of the production process. So, it's not related to choosing MP2 over MP4, or any selection of audio/video parameters related to production. There appears to be an intrinsic problem with handling VOB files.

I am now attempting to revert back to PD 9 as I didn't have these issues until I want to PD 10. I did change to the Ultra edition when I went from 9 to 10 so maybe I wouldn't have the problem with the 32 bit edition. I've been slowly dealing with this issue over the last couple of months hoping that the problem would be identified and fixed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can try things until I figure out how to get back to PD 9.

Windows 7 Pro. Athlon AMD 64 x2 dual core. Terabytes of storage. 4 GB memory.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
287 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2011 14:06

Scott H. [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found a workaround. Transcode the VOB into an MP4 before bringing it into the project. The sound track is then correctly synced and the clip can be edited with PD 10 U.

I found a really simple, fast and free VOB -> MP4 transcoder at: http://www.winxdvd.com/vob-to-mp4/

Now I can stay with PD 10 U. I did submit the problem to tech support so, hopefully, CL will squish that bug soon.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
PD (7,8,9,10) has never really handled VOB files very well, not even the ones created by PD. Most have found the best solution is to put the VOB in the timeline and do nothing, just produce to a desired end product format, say MPEG2, and then bring that in the timeline to edit. At times I've had issues with that approach as well and need to use a third party conversion code, similar to your path.

Jeff
Scott H. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the confirmation regarding poor handling of the VOB files. I was concerned about my system's ability to run PD 10 U but once the problem was found to be limited to that container type, things are rosy again.