Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Recording date information of the video scene
Fred Le Crocky
Newbie Location: France Joined: Oct 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Once a SD file has been loaded in the media library, I proceed with the scene detection based on image changes. Now how can I get the date at which the scene has been recorded by the camcorder ? I tried right-click on the scene on the timeline but can't get the date of recording.

Any help somewhere ? Thanks in advance Fred Le Crocky
Fred Le Crocky
[Post New]
Up ... Any help ? Fred Le Crocky
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Fred,

Forgive me if I misunderstand you -
did you record the date when recording?

To my knowledge, PD does not read recordings in the way I think you mean.
(similar to what some photoeditors do)

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
nayan007 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 22:50 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Are you telling about the book mark index ? !! Love Cyber-Link !!
Fred Le Crocky
[Post New]
Well, I going to be more clear in my explanations. I have one SD AVI file where I recorded lifetime scenes of my 2 grand-children for now 4 years since 2007. I downloaded the file on my computer and proceeded with the scenne detection. Now I would like to know the exact date at which scenes have been recorded.
Just tell me how to proceed.
If I understand Nina, it's not possible because PD doesn't display the information.
Correct ? Fred Le Crocky
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Fred,

take my answer with a little pinch of salt.
There might be ways in PD that I don't know of !
However,
in the first left picture here you see a photo's metadata in a photo-/file browser.
On the right you have the metadata for a videoclip.
Bottom shows the metadata in another NLE than PD.
On all occations, I did not record the dates/(metadata) in camera/camcorder.

Nina

Edit: a lot of typos today. My oldest and dearest dog had to leave this life.....

[Thumb - forum_svar.png]
 Filename
forum_svar.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
565 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
242 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 27. 2011 10:43

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
You got me curious, so I spent some time on Google.

It's really remarkable that I couldn't find any software whatsoever that would read the metadata from an image file and burn it onto the image somehow. You'd think that one at least one of the photo editors would be able to do that. I even tried to record a script that would do it, to no avail. Perhaps there are too many variables (text positioning, sizing, etc.) to make it practical.

All I learned is that the date on my wife's camera is set wrong.

I can conceive of a round-about way of creating subtitles to do this, but it would be clumsy at best:

• Run a program that will walk through a directory tree and print the metadata for each image file.
  • Direct the output of that program to a text file.
  • Run another program (probably custom) that would turn the previously-created text file into an SRT file.
  • Import the SRT file.

• Even if you had the two programs needed, you'd have to make some assumptions about the video. Primarily, you'd have to have the stills evenly spaced so that you could synchronize the subtitles with them. If you didn't do that, you'd have to mark the subtitle times and then import the date information from a text file. I suppose that might save you some time, but any way you slice it this would all be a pain in the neck.

Sorry, I didn't catch that you were working with video, not stills. Even so...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 27. 2011 13:08

Jerry Schwartz
    Dafydd B [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
    [Post New]
    For DV capture to avi software, the one I used before I had PD was called SCLive. Most editors (at that time) swore by this cheap little prog, I still think it is a super tool. The software segmented and timecode named each clip recorded and you could select which clip to keep.

PD does capture clips but doesn't timecode the file name to the date, hour, minute, second it was taped/recorded as does SCLive.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2011 12:32

Fred Le Crocky
    [Post New]
    Many thanks to all the contributors that tried to find an answer. In fact I used to build videos using Pinnacle Studio V9, a very old version, It displays the recording date for each scene that I have dowloaded.

I bought a new video cam last year, obviously an HD camcorder so that now I have SD avi (both 4/3 and 16/9) and HD mts. I would like to mix all that stuff into a unique file to produce a DVD.
    Pinnacle Studio V9 is not able to do that but Adobe Premiere Elements 9 do that as well as Cyberlink PD but they both lack the recording date information that Studio V9 can display.
    Big problem to solve, I want to give up with Pinnacle but cannot find any software that deal with my specific needs.

Again many thanks to you all. Fred Le Crocky
    JL_JL [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: I can conceive of a round-about way of creating subtitles to do this, but it would be clumsy at best:

• Run a program that will walk through a directory tree and print the metadata for each image file.
  • Direct the output of that program to a text file.
  • Run another program (probably custom) that would turn the previously-created text file into an SRT file.
  • Import the SRT file.

• That is essentially what avchd2srt does. http://avchd2srt.webs.com/ a thread on it at http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/316229-Export-AVCHD-frame-specific-metadata-to-subtitles

I have used the Linux version as when avchd2srt started that's all there was. One really needs a little cshell experience to make things work so everyone’s mileage will vary. I’ve never tried to get the later released windows version functional.

Jeff