Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SD video - Wrong format read by PD
Fred Le Crocky
Newbie Location: France Joined: Oct 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I have an SD video recorded by a Canon MVX 250i in a 16/9 format. When I read the video using MS Windows Media it is correct, right formart displayed 16/9.
Now, using PD10 Free trial version, those videos are displayed 4/3 in a 16/9 project. When I try to open the video PD told me that it has detected a 4/3 video. PD properties displayed DV-AVi - 4/3 - 720x576 - 25 fps.
It looks like there is something wrong somewhere.

May I say that Pinnacle and PE displayed that videos correctly. Bug in PD10 ?

Please help me, I'm in the process of testing PD10 before buying it and I really need to mix 4/3 and 16/9 videos as well as SD and HD.

Thanks for your help Fred Le Crocky
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Since you are using the Trial version, there are a few things that do not work the same way as the full retail version.

First make sure you have the correct aspect ratio selected for the project.
That said, if you right click the video in the timeline, you can set the aspect ratio of that video.

It is one way of fitting a 4:3 video into a 16:9 frame.
If you fit a 16:9 video into a 4:3 frame you may get cropping or letter box.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fred Le Crocky
Newbie Location: France Joined: Oct 23, 2009 09:30 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Works fine now. I changed the aspect ratio using your tip. Thanks very much.

I go on my exploration, obviously I'll get back in a new thread sooner or later. Fred Le Crocky
mlpaiva
Newbie Location: Espinho, Portugal Joined: Jan 27, 2012 16:58 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Same problem here.

I've been using a Sony DCR HC42E camcorder for years and collected several mini-dv cartridges in avi 16:9 format.
Always used Pinnacle Studio since version 8 SE till 11 Ultimate and the 16:9 aspect ratio has always been respected. Windows Media Player recognises this format too.

I can't understand why PD10 - full retail version, with these settings:

Preferences: PAL (25 frames)
Edit: Aspect Ratio (16:9)
Set Project Aspect Ratio (16:9)

informs these Properties of the imported files:

Type: DV-AVI
Resolution: 720x576
Frame Rate: 25 fps
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Frame Type: Interlaced

and warns:

"The aspect ratio of the clip you are dragging to the workspace is (4:3). Your project is (16:9). It is highly recommended that you change your aspect ratio setting (4:3)"

when dragging to the timeline.

The image is streched and I don't know what else can I do.

I don't want reinstall Pinnacle, the PD10 looks like a great product but I want to preserve the initial settings of the footage.

Any help is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
mlpaiva
Newbie Location: Espinho, Portugal Joined: Jan 27, 2012 16:58 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I understand that nobody here can help me in this matter.

On the 28th January I've contacted also the Contact Support and I have My Support Ticket, but I've got no answer too.
What kind of Support can I expect from Cyberlink? How long may I wait for an answer? Anybody knows?

Thank you very much.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

On the 28th January I've contacted also the Contact Support and I have My Support Ticket, but I've got no answer too.
What kind of Support can I expect from Cyberlink? How long may I wait for an answer? Anybody knows?

Thank you very much.

I suggest you attach to this forum a 5-10 second sample of you Video from your Canon MVX 250i in a 16/9 format.

Then the editors in the forum can test your footage on their systems.
Without an example of what you are using, we can not even guess what might be you issue.

It may be that AVI is not the best format to use in Powerdirector 10.
Powerdirector has many other formats the do work well with DV cameras.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2012 11:49

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

mlpaiva
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Hi,

Thank you very much.

I suggest you attach to this forum a 5-10 second sample of you Video from your Canon MVX 250i in a 16/9 format.

Then the editors in the forum can test your footage on their systems.
Without an example of what you are using, we can not even guess what might be you issue.

It may be that AVI is not the best format to use in Powerdirector 10.
Powerdirector has many other formats the do work well with DV cameras.

Thank you very much for your kind suggestion. I'll try later, at home.

PS: Now I know that I should have created a new topic that resurrecting an old one. It's a Sony DCR HC42E camcorder.
mlpaiva
[Post New]
As kindly suggested by Carl312, here are two samples of two 16:9 format clips.

The first is a short sample easily created today with Windows Live Movie Maker, saved in wmv format and uploaded to YouTube.

The second is an avi file uploaded to YouTube on the 12th Aug 2007.

Both samples are of the same footage, unfortunately, sadly and incomprehensibly recognized as 4:3 aspect ratio by PowerDirect 10 Deluxe (whatever this means).
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: As kindly suggested by Carl312, here are two samples of two 16:9 format clips.

The first is a short sample easily created today with Windows Live Movie Maker, saved in wmv format and uploaded to YouTube.

Both samples are of the same footage, unfortunately, sadly and incomprehensibly recognized as 4:3 aspect ratio by PowerDirect 10 Deluxe (whatever this means).

Unfortunately, the Youtube videos are not the sample we need to see.

What you need to attach to this forum is a 5-10 second video shot with your camera.

To attach a video to this forum, Click on the Post Reply button, not the Quick Reply button.
Post Reply gives a Blue Attachments button below the Text box.

Youtube is not the video from your camera, Youtube processes the video and converts it to a "Youtube Video".
The only way we can test your footage, is if you attach a sample shot with your camera.

Shoot a 5 to 10 second video and then attach that video to the forum, editors in this forum can then test your actual camera output.

You should attach the camera video unmodified. And not processed in Windows Live Movie Maker. Do not process the video in any way, attach the video file made by your camera.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 02. 2012 19:59

mlpaiva
[Post New]
Quote: [...) Unfortunately, the Youtube videos are not the sample we need to see.

What you need to attach to this forum is a 5-10 second video shot with your camera.
(...)

Oh yes, I see what you mean... but, Houston, we have a problem:

1) A few years ago, I've had a big problem with my pc - a new mobo and all software reinstalled, stable version only succeeded with Win7
2) No firewire port at this time - waiting for a card delivery
3) Sony install sftw cd missing - so no drivers installed, as Sony requires the old cd to download and install new drivers

I used to import a whole mini-dv cartridge and use Pinnacle Studio to manage the footage, so each original file is about 12Gb and I don't even imagine if there is such a short file in my backups in order to upload it as a sample...

Ok, but on this matter, that's a question of time. I'll manage.

On the other hand, I can't understand why simple takes recorded on a common support - minidv, by a big camcorder producer - Sony, in a wide nonproprietary format - avi, recognized correctly by Microsoft, Pinnacle, InterVideo, Ashampoo, Nero and other big companies software as 16:9 can be misunderstood by PowerDirector...

I thank you again for your care.
mlpaiva
[Post New]
In the meantime, I've got today a very gentle e-mail from Customer Support, asking me to upload an original source file.

As KC & The Sunshine Bad, that's the way I like it...
mlpaiva
[Post New]
Just to put an end to this matter, I realized that this problem is only restricted to files that has been previously processed by Pinnacle. That's all I know...

So, I've reinstalled Pinnacle sftw in order to finish the job and then I'll begin to use PD10.

Thank you very much by your support.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi mlpaiva,

Ok, I used to use a Canon XM1 and shoot video in the PAL 720x576 format for 16:9.

The problem here is to do with understanding how PD10 works.

720x576 = 4:3. Your video is recording to 4:3 but it's a squashed 16:9.

1. Open PD
2. Select Aspect Ratio 16:9 (see top of display, Edit Workspace interface).
3. Go to Preferences and select Confirmation and uncheck "Always prompt me when aspect ratio conflicts".
Note: I only have the last three checked.
3-1. No warning will now show when you import the PAL DVavi file.
4. Place your DV avi videos into the Media Library.
5. Place your project files into the tracks
6. Right click on one of them (in the track)
7. Select "Set Aspect ratio"
8. In the display box (Aspect ratio Settings) choose: Neither 4:3 nor 16:9 (it'll do the job) > Stretch clip to 16:9 aspect ratio.
9. Select Apply to all video clips.
10. select OK.

Any additional file imported into the tracks has to be treated the same.

I hope this helps.

Dafydd

You have posted on another editor's thread and the issue answered. You should have started a new topic and referred to this thread as per the forum guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page
New topics get faster responses

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Feb 27. 2012 13:59

mlpaiva
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd Bevan,

Thank you very much for your contribution.

I've tried (I had already tried it), it works, but it seems to me that if the aspect ratio becames "normal", the image becames fuzzier.

Obviously, I don´t understand the basics because the question is complex - I know that differences are between NTSC and PAL, 4:3 and 16:9, pixel aspect ratio and display aspect ratio, etc, etc... but I want to avoid process and reprocess and reprocess and... because I fear that I'm loosing quality in each process...

The problem I reported is restricted to 5 (huge) files that has been imported and saved with Pinnacle Studio, in 2007... I was avoiding to reinstall the sftw, but now that I've it reinstalled, it's easier to finish the job with it.

At this moment, I can't import from mini-dv cartridges (Sony's cd missing to reinstall drivers...), but I know that PD10 imports correctly the footage. I've tested it with some short files of backups of the hard drive (Cyberlink support checked it too... ).

So, after this, I will use PD10 for every other files (and I have dozens of cartridges to process...)

Thank you once more. Cheers!