Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How Do I Make Video Preview Show In Custom DVD Menu
Bryson & Kristy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 17, 2009 12:24 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PowerDirector 8 Ultra and I am desiring to complete my custom menu. I have not figured out how to get the preview of my video to show up in my root menu custom background. I have searched on YouTube for tutorials and a bit in these forums as well as the official manual plus I have played with all the settings and the solution eludes me. I know that what I am trying to do is possible because this preview video shows up in virtually every DVD menu that I can apply or download.

My Custom DVD Menu
I have a background image of me holding a slide from a bunch of old slides that I just converted into a slideshow. I would now like to have the preview image of my slideshow movie play inside the film area of the slide that I am holding in the picture. Right now when I preview the custom menu, I just have the static background image of me holding a slide and then when I press play, it plays the video. How do I get the video to display as if it is actually in the slide that I am holding?

Thanks for your help,
Bryson
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I do not actually know, but if you modify a default template (Some can not be modified) that has a motion thumbnail, your custom background would then be displayed on a motion thumbnail.

The thumbnail is taken from the first few seconds of the video on the timeline.

There is also a way to customize the video that plays before the Main menu.
See the Modify Menu_note.jpg.

This is a screen shot from PD 9, but PD 8 is similar. PD 8 does not that this menu template, the function of the Menu designer is the same as far as I know.

[Thumb - Modify menu_note.jpg]
 Filename
Modify menu_note.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Modify menu
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
564 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2011 19:38

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Bryson & Kristy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312,
When you edit a template that contains a motion thumbnail, do you find that you are able to edit the rotation, size and placement of the motion thumbnail? If so, then how? I tried using other people's menus but I wasn't able to figure out how to edit the motion thumbnail and what further perplexes me is how those people were able to pull it off, including doing some masking around the motion thumbnail.

BTW...I am not really interested in adding a video that plays before the main menu shows, I just want to get that motion thumbnail to show up in the root menu. I am not using chapters or anything for this one small video so all I am concerned about is the root menu.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl312,
When you edit a template that contains a motion thumbnail, do you find that you are able to edit the rotation, size and placement of the motion thumbnail? If so, then how? I tried using other people's menus but I wasn't able to figure out how to edit the motion thumbnail and what further perplexes me is how those people were able to pull it off, including doing some masking around the motion thumbnail.

BTW...I am not really interested in adding a video that plays before the main menu shows, I just want to get that motion thumbnail to show up in the root menu. I am not using chapters or anything for this one small video so all I am concerned about is the root menu.

There is not much you can change except for the background, as far as I know you can not change the position or size of the thumbnail, that is predetermined in the original template.

BTW, that is a PNG that is the template for the motion thumbnail, it is buried deep inside the program folder for Powerdirector.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bryson -

Confession: I don't use menus much, which means I don't spend much time trying to work out how to manipulate them. I honestly don't know how to modify a menu template to do what you're trying to do.

BUT - here's a trick I used for my grandson's birthday video, where I wanted a "preview video" to play on the main menu page. If I knew a smarter way to do this, I'd share it with you.

1. First make a frame image, with a transparent section (this is where your preview thumbnail will play). I've uploaded this to DirectorZone, so you can see how it works... http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/7574443

- Create a short menu length (say 30 seconds) video, just for the purpose of menu display.

2. Import the menu video clip & the frame image & set them on the timeline...

3. Resize the video clip to fit in the frame

- now produce the video. This will be imported into Menu Designer in the next step.

4. In Create Disc - modify an existing template or create a new one. Import your produced video as a background

5. Save the template (give it a name) & apply it to your disc in Create Disc.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but this worked for me. Other more experienced menu makers might have better ideas.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bryson & Kristy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
Thanks for posting this! It looks like it is going to work. I am stuck on step three because I can't figure out how to resize the video. How do I open the PiP Designer and how do I get the video in there?

Thanks,
Bryson
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bryson -

Just select the video clip (which in your case is a slideshow - yes?)... then click Modify. Grab the handles & resize it to match your blank (transparent) space.

Or have I missed what you mean?

Cheers - Tony
Bryson & Kristy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I made a 30 second slideshow and then saved it out as an avi. I created a new project and put the .avi into the Master Video Track and the menu image with the alpha in the PiP Track.

For the video, I only see options for Split, Trim, Multi Trim, Fix / Enhance, Power Tools, Remove Selected Clip and More features. Under More features (or when right clicking on the video) I don't see anything that allows me to modify the size of the video. The video is playing through the alpha so I just need to figure out how to get the video sized right.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I made a 30 second slideshow and then saved it out as an avi. I created a new project and put the .avi into the Master Video Track and the menu image with the alpha in the PiP Track.

For the video, I only see options for Split, Trim, Multi Trim, Fix / Enhance, Power Tools, Remove Selected Clip and More features. Under More features (or when right clicking on the video) I don't see anything that allows me to modify the size of the video. The video is playing through the alpha so I just need to figure out how to get the video sized right.

Since you are using Powerdirector 8 you would have to put your video/slide show on the PIP track (TR2).

You would have to add another PIP track and put your mask PNG on that track.

The main video track can not be resized in PD 8. For this use, leave the main video track blank. Work only on the PIP tracks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2011 19:15

ynotfish
[Post New]
Thank you Carl -

How quickly I forget! Spoilt by PD9 & PD10. Thanks for clearing that up.

And Bryson - it sounds like you're getting close to what you wanted. Good job!

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 22. 2011 21:36

Bryson & Kristy [Avatar]
[Post New]
So how do I add a 2nd PiP track?...I feel like an imbecile
ynotfish
[Post New]
Bryson -

Sorry this image isn't specifically about your question - but see the little + symbol on the left end of the timeline (just beside 00:00:00:00)... Click it & you can add a new PiP track.

Cheers - Tony
Bryson & Kristy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ah, thanks. I actually just upgraded to PD 10 Ultra....hopefully it is smooth sailing from here.
ynotfish
[Post New]
then why did I scratch around finding a PD8 screenshot?

Anyway - the Track Manager button is in the same spot in PD10.
Bryson & Kristy [Avatar]
[Post New]
...because you know that someday, (besides me) someone else is going to find this thread and praise your name.

Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again guys,
Bryson

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2011 02:14

Bryson & Kristy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Holy Cow! Thanks guys. My project turned out just how I wanted it with all your help. Now I can give this to my Mom for Christmas. I did extend the alpha image (PiP Track 2) out just a bit past the video (PiP Track 1) in the timeline so that the video inside the slide goes black and then starts over. I really appreciate all the help. Merry Christmas!
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Holy Cow! Thanks guys. My project turned out just how I wanted it with all your help. Now I can give this to my Mom for Christmas. I did extend the alpha image (PiP Track 2) out just a bit past the video (PiP Track 1) in the timeline so that the video inside the slide goes black and then starts over. I really appreciate all the help. Merry Christmas!

Thanks from Carl312, it is always nice to hear kind words!

ynotfish
[Post New]
Bryson -

Glad it turned out well for you. Good stuff.

Your appreciation is appreciated!

Cheers - Tony