Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Serious 3D Issue! - Can't Import Seperate Left/Right Video Files!
MotoRider420 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 00:12 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Aside from all the issues with the 3D support in this program (I upgraded for the 3D and now I feel like I got cheated),

The Program Has NO WAY To Load A Seperate File For Each Eye Into The Editing Timeline!!!

Yes, You Can use Two Vid Tracks And Stretch The Files, But That Is NOT Compatible With The Other 3D Features.

Did PowerDirector just decide to screw everyone with a GoPro 3D setup? And especially those with DSLR 3D setups?

Someone help me out here, or I'm going to be returning this upgrade and switching back to 9.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2011 09:41

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I sympathise with your dilemma. The two individual 2D video recordings you have, with their eye width separation to record an event are not viewed by PD as being 3D, which they aren't. They are 2Dx2 and you want to merge both (offset and overlay) to create a 3D video. I understand the technique.

I haven't attempted to find a workaround as PD10 offers a simple to use 2D to 3D immediate conversion and orientation adjustment.

At the moment I would have to say PD10 cant do anything with your 2xGoPro 2D footage for merging other than drop the video into the tracks and attempt a merge manipulation manually.

2D to 3D is still an option for you (PD10 with it's button click selection) for one of your GoPro's footage and use the 2nd GoPro to get a different angle shot... Sorry I know it isn't the answer you want.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2011 10:39

MotoRider420 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So, when they advertised "native 3D support", they were lying. Great.

Looks like customer service is gonna get a call on Monday, and if they don't have a solution, they'll be losing my business. Because they know damn well that yes, 2x2D is native 3D, thats what the professional movie studios use, and PD10 shouldn't ignore that important format. Also, its the cheapest way to gather 3D video, and the most versatile, etc...

Thanks for your answer, it was very helpful. I appreciate it.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a thought and 2 questions.

Questions:
What form of 3D output are you aiming for, Anaglyph, Half frame Side by Side or Full Side by Side?

Have you considered or tried half frame Side by Side for the two streams?

Thought.
If you place the two video into two tracks and use the free form tool, you can reduce the frame size of each to half width (squash the width), the left side for the left positioned 2D video and then right for the other, both within the full frame of 1920 x 1080. That should be a do-able.

If you require splitting the clips you can highlight both and select multi-split.

I would be interested to know if you have tried to produce a full HD video in the way I have suggested.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2011 15:32

MotoRider420 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thats exactly what I did in PD9-Ultra64. LOL, thats not true 3D format, its just, like u said "squashed" and produces shitty results. its almost unwatcheable with all the ghosting and distortion, even in 1080p. And thats with NVIDIA 3D Vision running at over 120Hz, the best type of non-commercial 3D available right now.

BUT, if i did that "squashing" in PD10, i couldn't use any of the built-in 3D features. yes, i could render a 3D movie, but with no transitions, no titles, no effects, no particles, etc... PD10 really messed up on this one, lol. And whats worse, PD10 doesnt even come with true 3D titles!!! Only 3D-like, which, again, was some serious false-advertising. (or the 2D with depth conversion, which is flat and boring and unprofessional)

I did, however, find a trial program GoPro offers that converts left/right to a 3D format, BUT, every time you encode a video it looses quality, a lot of quality, no matter what ur settings are. So, its a terrible workaround, but it'll hold me over while i bitch at them on the phone until they add true 3D support like they advertised.

Thanks again for your reply!
MotoRider420 [Avatar]
[Post New]
WOW

both of the 3D formats that GoPro's program uses, arent recognized by PD10. So i have to convert to 3D format, then convert again to side-by-side. I can see the quality getting washed down the drain. And, only then, can I import into PD10. What a POS program CyberLink!!!

*sigh*

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2011 21:37

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please attach a 5 second sample of the video you've produced that isn't recognised - editors can try it out on their systems. mp4, mts, what is the file?

So.... you can also try Full side by side - see if that helps.

You have two video which are 2D, they are not 3D until they're merged in a side by side set up. The video will have to be processed in whatever product you look at and these two video streams will have to be made to be 3D. You have to create the 3D stream (merge the 2x2D video) before PD10 will accept it as a 3D video. You have to do that manually in PD10.

Half width, it's a squashed view of your footage and you're right you cant add much to it if you're attempting to create 3D from the two 2D streams. You need to create the 3D and then carry out your additional changes other than splitting. The split/cut is the most used non-transition in professional editing and should be used.

3D cameras capture a single video from two lens locations/centre points. Your camera set up isn't 3D. It is a 2D camera x 2, aligned to mimic the eyes and it requires a software merge to add the 3D depth.

There is software that can merge 2D x2 into a 3D set up by pulling the left and right cameras into the two areas of the screen or creating an anaglyph. PowerDirector cant do that automatically, you can do the task manually. I'm not aware that CyberLink have claimed to take 2x2D video streams and auto create 3D.

3D like titles: You're now referring to the 2D Titler which will create 3D like titles or the 3D Titler which creates 3D titles for 3D video - This now needs a new post/topic.

It would be really great if you could provide two 5 second 2x2D GoPro clips for editors to try out (and assist you). It is a challenge many would relish, making a 3D video from the footage.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I disagree with your comments: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/20060.page

Dafydd
MotoRider420 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You must work for cyberlink...

The professional studios have two Cinema cameras (set up like eyes) that film in seperate streams, have you never seen Avatar's special features (or any other ACTUAL (non-converted) 3D movies)?

Those crappy 3D "splitters" that you add to a camera are not professional, and not true 3D. Even the Nintendo 3DS has two cameras in it, and its just a toy.

AND, I cant take my left/right files and convert to full-width because PowerDirector doesn't have anything higher than a 1920x1080 output option. So, how am I supposed to do (1920x2)x1080?

Look, its simple, PowerDirector obviously didn't finish the 3D support, and they rushed it into PD10 just to trick people into upgrading.

And to your othe comment, I HAVE MORE ISSUES WITH 2D FILES THAN 3D in this terrible program. So stop discrediting other's comments just because you magically have no issue with this program.
[Post New]
MotoRider420;
Seems like you are very unhappy. I see 14 messages from you but ONLY 2 topics created by you.
You are abusive and seemingly unwilling to participate in this USER FORUM.
All of the senior contributors here, are here because we WANT to help.

There are other gopro users here, but I don't hear them whining about this issue..I am sure they, too want a solution.

Have you attached a DXDIAG file for your machine? I couldn't find one, but I did read a lost of "sour" posts from you. Not the way to get good attention here!!!

Filename
background_noise.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
236 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
367 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2011 21:13

[Post New]
P.S. I do not work for Cyberlink!!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have only the trial version of PD10 and cannot import my GoPro video, but I have never had a problem with PD9 accepting it. While it is an extra step, GoPro does have a free software solution to convert the 2 video clips (left/right) into a side-by-side video that I assume PD10 will work with.

I also assume this means that there's no SVRT for GoPro's MP4? Not too surprising. It's a niche market, but I think they will be surprised by how fast GoPro is growing. Everyone is using them, including the pro's. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: both of the 3D formats that GoPro's program uses, arent recognized by PD10. So i have to convert to 3D format, then convert again to side-by-side. I can see the quality getting washed down the drain. And, only then, can I import into PD10.

James - I think MotoRider has already tried the GoPro software, without much success (as in, compatibility with PD10).

Fred - I don't suppose all the GoPro users are trying to work with 3D. I'm not, and I'm not, so I don't have problems with it.

Cheers - Tony
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
MotoRider420,
As an independent video editor, I assist others and have done so for years. There are many on this forum who have skills which show they delight in editing video. These editors, like I do, have passed on their knowledge and give assistance by answering and resolving problems. At the same time they broaden their capabilities. I have yet to see from you any assistance to a fellow editor, perhaps you'll have the kindness and be polite enough to provide the information you've been asked for. We all (senior forum members) have read rants, bluster and loudness and some members can even play a tune using a stick to poke the moment! Would you rather be mocked or assisted?

James, I'm concerned you cant load your GoPro footage into PD10. I will load 1129a (sorry been really busy and only downloaded it overnight) but at present I have the previous build of 1012 and have tried your GoPro 1080p footage out on 2 PC's without any problems. One has loads of stuff on and the other is just an editing machine... just has the QT which came with PD10 1012.

I have carried out a simple test using James' 1080p video. Zip file attached.
For Example: Full Side by Side =
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Was produced.The Zip will show the image/selections and how easy it is to adjust clips to become Side by Side for Full and half width.

Grid Lines were used to reposition the video.

My one area of concern is that reducing the size of the video in Preview may result in an image degradation of the finished FullSbyS or the Half SbyS which is what has been complained about.
The PC I used for this experiment was a 2core quad! the smaller of the 2 PC's.

Dafydd

The attachment contains a group of images - showing James' GoPro footage being used to create a 3D Side by Side 3D video. 2x Media Info of the 3D video created.
 Filename
GoPro.zip
[Disk]
 Description
GoPro 3D test
 Filesize
3760 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
439 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2011 06:20

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I have only the trial version of PD10 and cannot import my GoPro video, but I have never had a problem with PD9 accepting it. While it is an extra step, GoPro does have a free software solution to convert the 2 video clips (left/right) into a side-by-side video that I assume PD10 will work with.

I also assume this means that there's no SVRT for GoPro's MP4? Not too surprising. It's a niche market, but I think they will be surprised by how fast GoPro is growing. Everyone is using them, including the pro's.

Hi James,
Re Your SVRT query for GoPro.
Using a 1080p GoPro file you've provided previously, I placed it in Video Track 1.
Selected Produce
Select Mpeg-4
The default profiles don't display SVRT, just Hardware video encoder
Select Intelligent SVRT
The Intelligent SVRT pop up displays a Custom profile for the GoPro Footage.
Custom profile accepted and renamed
Profile now used and SVRT is active.

Switching to the 3D tab (although this isn't a 3D video).
The Custom profile can be selected and has the tag [double] to indicate it will create a Side by Side video using the one/same profile for both sides.

I hope the information helps.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2011 09:58

MotoRider420 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: MotoRider420;
Seems like you are very unhappy. I see 14 messages from you but ONLY 2 topics created by you.
You are abusive and seemingly unwilling to participate in this USER FORUM.
All of the senior contributors here, are here because we WANT to help.

There are other gopro users here, but I don't hear them whining about this issue..I am sure they, too want a solution.

Have you attached a DXDIAG file for your machine? I couldn't find one, but I did read a lost of "sour" posts from you. Not the way to get good attention here!!!

are u fucking kidding me? a dxdiag for a missing feature? i don't think directx has anything to do with not having a 3D import option for seperate files. how stupid do you think I am? if i was having crashing problems that were caused by directx, i'd fix it myself, or have my friends who are computer engineers fix it. this thread is about 3D support features missing. AND YES, others have complained, or they don't care about loss of quality, which I do, because I will not, no matter what, upload anything less than perfect 720p to YouTube.
MotoRider420 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I have only the trial version of PD10 and cannot import my GoPro video, but I have never had a problem with PD9 accepting it. While it is an extra step, GoPro does have a free software solution to convert the 2 video clips (left/right) into a side-by-side video that I assume PD10 will work with.

I also assume this means that there's no SVRT for GoPro's MP4? Not too surprising. It's a niche market, but I think they will be surprised by how fast GoPro is growing. Everyone is using them, including the pro's.

that only converts to a multiplex avi that PD10 will not recognize and being anything but 2D, and yes, i clicked the "select 3D format" option.

or u can convert to half-width, but I am not, no matter what giving up 50% of my quality.

thanks anyway
MotoRider420 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: MotoRider420,
As an independent video editor, I assist others and have done so for years. There are many on this forum who have skills which show they delight in editing video. These editors, like I do, have passed on their knowledge and give assistance by answering and resolving problems. At the same time they broaden their capabilities. I have yet to see from you any assistance to a fellow editor, perhaps you'll have the kindness and be polite enough to provide the information you've been asked for. We all (senior forum members) have read rants, bluster and loudness and some members can even play a tune using a stick to poke the moment! Would you rather be mocked or assisted?

James, I'm concerned you cant load your GoPro footage into PD10. I will load 1129a (sorry been really busy and only downloaded it overnight) but at present I have the previous build of 1012 and have tried your GoPro 1080p footage out on 2 PC's without any problems. One has loads of stuff on and the other is just an editing machine... just has the QT which came with PD10 1012.

Was produced.The Zip will show the image/selections and how easy it is to adjust clips to become Side by Side for Full and half width.

My one area of concern is that reducing the size of the video in Preview may result in an image degradation of the finished FullSbyS or the Half SbyS which is what has been complained about.

Dafydd

The attachment contains a group of images - showing James' GoPro footage being used to create a 3D Side by Side 3D video. 2x Media Info of the 3D video created.

i know your just trying to help, and I appreciate it, but, it seems like all u keep telling me is that i'm wrong. i am glad for your help, but I have, after much more research on non-cyberlink sites, found that I will have to return the software. i appreciate your help, but I am not wrong. they are missing a feature, and there is no way to fix it without losing quality. thank you for your help, again, I appreciate it. have a good holiday.
MotoRider420 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: MotoRider420,

Dafydd

yeah, I see what ur tryin to do... um... let me see if i can do the same to show whats goin on... hmmmm... give me bout 10 mins
[Post New]
MotoRider420;
Quote: how stupid do you think I am?

On a scale of 1-10, based on your attitude taken with those who contribute their time to help here, an 11.

Quote: are u ------ kidding me? a dxdiag for a missing feature? i don't think directx has anything to do with not having a 3D import option for seperate files.

For those who have suffered through your "spewings" to read this thread, the DXDIAG file helps editors/engineers determine the platform that PD10 is running on...your platform... This gives us the ability to eliminate issues and make sure that the problem is not a combination of hardware, video file and PD10 failure/glitches.

I didn't ask to date your sister..just to look at your hardware platform...take a cleansing breath, will you??

Quote: I have, after much more research on non-cyberlink sites, found that I will have to return the software.

O, what a nice Christmas gift for the visitors in this forum THAT would be!!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 19. 2011 13:00