Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
pal and ntsc formats
mervyn cadman [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Essex UK Joined: Jul 16, 2011 02:53 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all just a quick question hope you guys can throw some light on this, I have created my 3.5 hours duel layer DVD and plays fine in the PAL format that it was made, but I have some enquiries from other countries for my DVD but they will require the format to be in NTSC.

I saved the projects PDS files with the chapters intact so when I need to burn another copy of the DVD's I just go to the create disc tab, now I need to create my DVD in pal and NTSC format do I work from the same PDS files and how do I create the discs in both formats.

Many thanks

Mervyn
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mervyn,
A question you'll need to ask yourself:
Is the DVD player the end user has, a new model or old one?

Problems will arise if the end user has an old DVD player, you'll have to cope with that.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2011 09:19

mervyn cadman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi thanks for the reply, I better explain a bit further, the dvd I have created will be on sale to the public through my website I live in the UK, now I have customers from the US France Germany Norway Ireland Scotland and from other parts of the world so I need to cater for mostly everyone who wants to buy my DVD, at the moment I only have the edited files in PAL format but say if I had an order from a guy in the US or France or Germany I would need it to play on a dvd device for their country.

I know somewhere in PD9 there is a drop down list of the countries and the relevant format ie PAL or NTSC format.

Regards Mervyn
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I know somewhere in PD9 there is a drop down list of the countries and the relevant format ie PAL or NTSC format.

Regards Mervyn

The list is not in PD, you can select the TV format in preferences on the General tab.

Here is a list of analog TV systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_television_systems Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
In PD10 & PD9 > Produce > Mpeg2 (DVD HQ) > Country/video format of disc > the drop down will display the country and PAL/NTSC option.

Have fun.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2011 16:05

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
In PD10 & PD9 > Produce > Mpeg2 (DVD HQ) > Country/video format of disc > the drop down will display the country and PAL/NTSC option.

Have fun.

Dafydd

Thank you Dafydd, I did see that now.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Carl,
I found your Wiki link very helpful.

Hi mervyn,
I wouldn't bother attempting to convert SD footage from Pal to NTSC - not a sensible action in my eyes.

Altering PAL-NTSC HD is a different situation and results are mixed. I had good reports when my footage was used (just the video) by another editor but there has also been a report of audio lip sync issues.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2011 04:48

mervyn cadman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok guy’s thanks for your help.

so just a re-cap it would be better, then if I produced the original pds file one as PAL and a separate one for NTSC then create the discs (DVD) as an order comes in from whatever country, I can then create disc and burn accordingly.
Also I think it might be better to keep two folders one for PAL and one for NTSC

Thanks to you all

Mervyn