Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New computer ordered with SSD c: drive....will it work ok?
Charlie23 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Orlando, FL Joined: Nov 18, 2011 13:22 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
New computer just built by local computer company to be used primarily for burning blu-ray discs of home movies: core i7 2600, 16 gig ddr3 ram, gtx-560i graphics, 1 TB sata III d drive, win7 pro & the builder suggested I use a 120 gig SSD for c: drive. It sounded great to me. I've ordered PD 10 cause it looks great for my needs....then I start reading up in the forums to try to educate myself & OH NO!... I read that SSD drives are not recommended for primary drives because of the large temp files required for transcoding, etc. with blu-ray burning! I think the win7 OS itself takes up about 50 gig. I actually called the builder today and explained what I've learned and suggested he swap the SSD for a Sata 3 or 6 7200rpm drive. He says he's already installed most the software and that he's built other video editing systems similar to this and they work fine but when I read the BD burning requires 100 gig free space, i'm getting real concerned that I don't start with something that's going to be problematic. From what I've read, it's not a good idea to try to install the PD 10 on the D drive, where there is plenty of disc space, because among other things some of the components will still install on the C drive and updates and so forth may not work well.

I haven't picked up the computer yet and I really could use some advice. I'm thinking that I should do away with the SSD drive but if some of you experienced users feel this set up should work ok I could go ahead and try it like the builder says.

I've only got a couple of days to make a decision so any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 16 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 2600k
nVidia GTX 560i
PD 10 build 1129b
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Some members had troubles with SSD drives....as once you load all yer programs on them they didn't have enough space left. Power Director uses C: drive for caching files that cannot be changed and needs 100Mb free drive space.
Jim
P.s don't believe the guy they other systems may not use PowerDriector for video, tell him to swap drive!! You are paying him for SERVICE

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2011 19:33

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Don't panic.

You can redirect your "My Documents" folder over to the larger drive. That's half the battle.

If you can figure out where PD keeps its temporary files, and I can't say for sure that I've found them all, then you can redirect those folders over to the larger drive as well. That's the second half of the battle.

Now here's where you can start to cry in your beer: once you've moved all of this stuff over to the SATA drive, you aren't going to get any advantage from the SSD! The only reason for having an SSD is to make file access faster, but the very files that are most active will now be on your SATA drive. You won't have anything on the SSD but Windows and your programs' code, and unless you are short on memory (and you won't be) the code isn't read very often.

The long and the short of it is that I wouldn't buy an SSD drive for this purpose. I'd go with the fastest hard drive that I could afford, instead. I'm not even sure I'd bother having two drives, rather than one big one; but I'm not familiar enough with the file access patterns of PD to say for sure. I suspect that it tends to be more linear than random, so seek time won't be the big issue until your drive gets badly fragmented.

This is just my opinion, and the fundamental rule in performance analysis and capacity planning is "It depends."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2011 19:52

Jerry Schwartz
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
JAMES1 stated that Powerdirector needs 100MB of free space on the C: drive, The correct figure is 100 GB as in Gigabyte. MB is Megabyte.

Very few Editors using Powerdirector 9 or 10 have had any good luck with SSD drives, they just do not have enough free space for all of the Temporary files that Powerdirector generates to work with HD video.

He says he's already installed most the software and that he's built other video editing systems similar to this and they work fine but when I read the BD burning requires 100 gig free space, i'm getting real concerned that I don't start with something that's going to be problematic.

Don't believe him!

He just does not want to re-build the computer that is already built.
Besides, as far as I know, you can just transfer all of the files from the SSD drive to a SATA drive and remove the SSD.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

GoPokes
Member Location: NE Oklahoma Joined: Jun 04, 2011 10:33 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
$ .02
I am running PD9. I have a 128SSD, showing properties 120.032GB, as my C drive with Windows, Cyberlink, and Adobe taking up 68GB, free 52GB. I was very selective in loading Windows. The only Software loaded on C is Win 7 pro, Cyberlink, and Lightroom3. Cyberlink and Adobe want allow me to loar on another drive, why not I don't know , but all other software I run is loaded on E. I have for example Office 7, OnOne, handbrake, imgburn, , Siemens operator interface sftw, and Siemens PLC programing Software loaded on other drives.
I have not had a problem with PD9 related to Drive space.
I clean out all temp files when I have finished using PD9 Layers and LR3 for the day or project, which ever is first. Both create a lot of temp files in a very short time.

Biggest Blue Ray HD video I have burned was 17 gb on Phillips 25 gb BR disc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2011 01:50

Amature does it till he gets it right. A Pro does it till he can't get it wrong.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
+1 for SSD drives and no problems, although I do not burn DVD's or Blu-rays. I only have 42 gig free on my 120 gig SSD. Also most if not all of my videos are under 20 minutes which may help along with no DVD's etc.

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

I haven't picked up the computer yet and I really could use some advice. I'm thinking that I should do away with the SSD drive but if some of you experienced users feel this set up should work ok I could go ahead and try it like the builder says.

I've only got a couple of days to make a decision so any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

You could try something like this

OCZ 1TB Revo Drive Hybrid- Solid State Drive Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
Charlie23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your quick responses. I'm going to tell the builder to take the SSD out.

Now I have to decide whether to spend the bucks for a new fast HDD or just use the HDD that I was going to use as the d: storage drive, as the only drive for now.. It's the D drive from my current computer and has my current videos, photos and music on it and about 600 gb free....it's 3 years old but the specs are good: sata 7200rpm WD green 1TB 32mb cache.

Do you have any suggestions/opinions as to whether this will get me going ok with PD 10?

I guess I'm leaning towards taking the $200 I save from the SSD and getting the fastest HDD I can and starting with a completely clean drive....anyone have any specific HDD drive suggestions?

Thanks!

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 16 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 2600k
nVidia GTX 560i
PD 10 build 1129b
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
It's the D drive from my current computer and has my current videos, photos and music on it and about 600 gb free....it's 3 years old but the specs are good: sata 7200rpm WD green 1TB 32mb cache.

That is a good drive, but why not keep it as the second drive for your data in the new computer. You can just put it in the new computer as Drive D: or any other drive letter.

New 1 TB or larger drives are not very expensive anymore.

That way you would have a clean drive for your Windows 7 64 bit OS. It would also give you plenty of room for you programs and enough free space for Powerdirector to live comfortably.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Charlie23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I agree Carl, that's exactly what I'm going to plan to do! Windows 7 Pro 64 bit 16 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 2600k
nVidia GTX 560i
PD 10 build 1129b