Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Will my PC support PD10?
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
This form post http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20306.page says "Be aware that the new Powerdirector 10 requires a very powerful computer to use."

I am currently running PD9.3305, and would like to upgrade to PD10.12. Does Cyberlink provide a performance test tool to test if PD10 will run successfully on a given computer? If not, what is the minimum system configuration for PD10 to run successfully? Alternately, can a "guru" here look at my attached DXDIAG and say with confidence Yes or No to PD10. Note: I built this PC a few years back, and would like to squeeze a few more years of useful life out of it.

I'm not used to having to configure the hardware to the software. Usually it is the other way around -- the software configures itself to the available hardware, usually evidenced by the performance of the software (runs slowly). However, experience has shown that PD starts tripping over itself (abends, hangs, error messages, incorrect output, unreliable/inconsistent output, etc.) if the hardware running it isn't just so-so. My question is, how does one know before installing the product if it will be usable/reliable or not?

Some games use to run a performance test before installing to insure the computer was usable. Lacking that, I guess we are into a trial and error situation with PowerDirector. It would be nice to avoid unnecessary grief/hassle/cost if possible.

I have used "Performance Test" (http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm) for many years when comparing upgraded or newly built PC's. It is inexpensive and works great. It gives you a single number score on your PC. It would be great if Cyberlink would say "Needs a Performance Test" score of 300 to run successfully". Or they could use the similar Microsoft performance scoring method built into Windows Vista and up.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide in helping me determine if I can successfully upgrade to PD10 BEFORE investing time and money.

Filename
DxDiag64.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
413 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PDuser 97031 -

Members here would understand exactly what you're saying. We all want to make sure we have a happy time editing - & that isn't going to happen with a PC that's not up to the task.

Here are CyberLink's minimum requirements (which I'd say are extremely conservative) http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_AU.html

According to benchmark charts at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ your PC configuration sits well above those minimum requirements. To my knowledge, there is no way (apart from trial & error) to test your machine with PD10. You could download the trial & give it a whirl.

Many forum members would suggest that a 1GB GPU would be more appropriate... & they'd suggest that from experience.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with Tony. Best way is to download and try. PD10 allows you to install without uninstalling PD9. The problem with PD is that a computer with minimum specifications may run Ok while a much faster computer just crashes over and over. Nothing beats trying it for yourself. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Robbie Doo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Glendale, California Joined: Jun 12, 2010 14:44 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
It will most likely not. It's better if you get the trial version and try it first before investing. Toshiba laptop 17.4" HD
Win 7 (64 bit)
i5 duo core, 6gb ram
500gb hard-drive
Blu-ray player/recorder