Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overlap transition messes up audio
Tangerine3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2011 11:28 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I prefer overlap to cross-fading because the latter 'freezes' a second of video and if the subject is speaking, it looks awful. BUT ... overlaps result in the audio track being out of sync on the other end of the fade! Any help?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I prefer overlap to cross-fading because the latter 'freezes' a second of video and if the subject is speaking, it looks awful. BUT ... overlaps result in the audio track being out of sync on the other end of the fade! Any help?

Are you using a separate audio track?

Transitions affect the length of the video when you insert them.

If you have a separate audio, the audio is not shortened the same way the video is.

The way around that is to do all of your transitions on the video, then put your audio track in.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Nicholas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2011 22:14 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks ... Want to make sure we're on the same page. My video is a man speaking; audio is his voice. Taken with a camcorder. I need to cut in stills and want to overlap. This messes up audio on other end as described. Should I unlink the audio track and remove it? But how would I know when to transition? Or unlink and do Something else? Not sure I follow ... Forgive my obtuseness! Both video and audio need to be same length after an overlap. Surely there's a way ...
Nicholas [Avatar]
[Post New]
And by cut in stills I mean overwrite so when the video of the speaker respirate the voice is still in sync.
Nicholas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Respirate? Auto-correct strikes again. RETURNS.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
OK, I think I understand what you want to do.

The first thing you need to do is separate the audio from the Video.

You do that in the Media library by Right click > Extract Audio. You right click the video you want to separate the audio.

That makes a WAV audio file.

Then you put (drag) that WAV audio to the Music track, and lock that track. By locking the audio track, you can do just about anything in the video track without the audio moving.

After putting the audio on the music track, Right click a clear area (at the end of video track) Mute Track. The removes the sound from the video track. It does not delete the audio track, it just silences it.

Now you can put in transitions without the audio moving or splitting.
That should keep the lip sync.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2011 09:09

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Nicholas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again ... Will give that a try. Seems like a bad design in the program, doesn't it? Will let you know the results.
Tangerine3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl, this just will not work. I have to say, unless I'm messing up, this is a bad part of PD-9. The audio stays in place but the video shortens by four seconds in an overlap transition? I mean what is that all about? And in cross-fading, you get a frozen ghost? I'm baffled and displeased.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Carl, this just will not work. I have to say, unless I'm messing up, this is a bad part of PD-9. The audio stays in place but the video shortens by four seconds in an overlap transition? I mean what is that all about? And in cross-fading, you get a frozen ghost? I'm baffled and displeased.

Did you try it?

Or you just assuming that is what happens.

If you want other editors to test your project you would have to provide a short (5 to 10 seconds) of the original video and a screen shot of your edit space.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Part A, Part B, and Part E

Tangerine3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried it all right ... followed your instructions I'm pretty sure ... but no dice. I thank you for your assistance, my good man. But either the program or me are messed up. I decided to use all half-second cross-transitions which disguise the freeze-frame pretty well, and produce no sound problems.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tangerine -

Have you tried...

1. Inserting your main video in VT1 (the guy speaking)
2. Dropping your stills in lower video tracks (VT2,3 etc)

The still shots will appear where you set them, without interfering with audio. They can be faded in/out in PiP Designer if you wish.

Does that work for you?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Nicholas [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you recommend it I'm sure it would work but I don't know how to use PIP Designer ... Can you point me in the right direction?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Nicholas -

Even though this doesn't address Tangerine's original question, this is one way you can do what you're trying to do. It's the method I described above...

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Carl312
[Post New]
Tony, that is a better way than I suggested.
Good job and good Demo.