Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem with PD 10 and blu-ray player
Jim978 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2011 12:24 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I took everyone's advice and purchased PD 10 Ultra, and decided to take a few minutes of gargage video and "learn by doing." I am having a problem that isn't making a lot of sense (to me at least).

My first effort was to take 720p clips, generate an AVHCD video and burn it to a regular dvd (not blu-ray). When I put that in my blu-ray player the menu popped up okay, but it wouldn't play. When I hit the play button I got perhaps one second of audio but no video, and the whole thing reverted to the menu again.

Thinking I may have done something wrong in the production process, I took the same project and this time went with mpeg-2 instead of AVHCD. I put that in my blu-ray player and (drum roll, please) got the same problematic result. So I took that disc and put it into an old dvd (not blu-ray) player hooked up to a different set and it works!

The blu-ray player is a Panasonic bd65 and I was burning to dvd+r media. I have other dvd+r discs I created (not using PD) that work in that same blu-ray player, and the literature says the player can handle dvd+r media. The firmware on the player is completely up to date.

I'm hoping one of you will have some idea what's going on. I sure don't have one.

Help!

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I took everyone's advice and purchased PD 10 Ultra, and decided to take a few minutes of gargage video and "learn by doing." I am having a problem that isn't making a lot of sense (to me at least).

My first effort was to take 720p clips, generate an AVHCD video and burn it to a regular dvd (not blu-ray). When I put that in my blu-ray player the menu popped up okay, but it wouldn't play. When I hit the play button I got perhaps one second of audio but no video, and the whole thing reverted to the menu again.

Thinking I may have done something wrong in the production process, I took the same project and this time went with mpeg-2 instead of AVHCD. I put that in my blu-ray player and (drum roll, please) got the same problematic result. So I took that disc and put it into an old dvd (not blu-ray) player hooked up to a different set and it works!

The blu-ray player is a Panasonic bd65 and I was burning to dvd+r media. I have other dvd+r discs I created (not using PD) that work in that same blu-ray player, and the literature says the player can handle dvd+r media. The firmware on the player is completely up to date.

I'm hoping one of you will have some idea what's going on. I sure don't have one.

Help!

You Learn by doing turned out very bad.

You need some knowledge of DVD and BluRay disk formats.
Each has a specific structure.

Standard Definition video.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
Scroll to Directory and file structure for a BluRay Video disk structure.

In Power director in the Create Disk Module on the Disk preferences tab, you can choose a DVD or BluRay structure.
That sets the create disk module to create the correct structure and will play in most BluRay players.

For BluRay, you are better off if you make your video 1920x1080, 720P is a BluRay standard, but I am not sure that Powerdirector uses that format.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Gidday Jim -

Let me see if I have it right, before diving in...

1. At first you tried to burn an AVCHD DVD - yes? Is that the selection you made in Create Disc?
- if so, that disc should play correctly in a BR player or PS3

If that's a consistent problem, you could try:
a. Slowing down the burn speed
b. Use Create a Folder & burn the disc with dedicated burn software.

If you burnt a standard DVD, that should play properly too. The above advice applies.
- just so you know, it's not necessary to produce the video prior to burning

2. Whether you produced the video to AVC H.264 or MPEG-2, it would be authored on the DVD in the same way. The AVC version would just take longer.

Whatever way it goes, Jim, there seems to be a problem with the way your Pana BR player is reading those discs!

If I've got the horns by the bull, please let me know

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
FYI - I've seen similar problems with a Samsung BD player. After a firmware update I was unable to play some of my PD rendered discs. I noticed that if I eliminated the menu on my DVD the video would play fine. After detailed analysis I discovered that PD had generated the menu in progressive mode and the main video in interlaced mode even when the project was set to interlaced. I tried the DVD on two other brands of BD players and it worked OK as it should. After reversing the firmware update on my Samsung the issue was corrected.

Try it without a menu and see if it helps. Win 10, i7
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
You could try contacting Panasonic tech support. I found them knowledgeable and helpful; the engineer must have spent an hour on the phone with me.

Of course, their lack of knowledge of what PD10 is doing might be a stumbling block. Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
I am not home to check, but I think I too have a bd65. Its 3 years old and one of the first affordable BR players. A few month ago I connected a network cable to it and it imediatly found numberous firmware updates...

I would check for firmware updates 1st.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 30. 2011 06:55

Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am not home to check, but I think I too have a bd65. Its 3 years old and one of the first affordable BR players. A few month ago I connected a network cable to it and it imediatly found numberous firmware updates...

I would check for firmware updates 1st.

All suggestions above are valid, you will just have to pinpoint your specific issue. Menu's have been an issue with some AVCHD disc, as well as bluray, with many NLE's. Try projects with and without. But its usually not the players problem, rather how the software renders menu's.

I have a pana bd35 (same age as your 65), and it plays everything I put in it. I do install all firmware updates as they are released, as it has been several. So, yes, do update. Pana's are usually one of the best for AVCHD / Bluray compatibility, assuming your AVCHD/bluray format is correct on your disc.

Also I would suggest using a good quality DVD-R, instead of DVD+R. Verbitim is a good brand. Avoid DL (dual layer) disc, as they can be problems.

IMGBURN (a free 3rd party burning software, give excellent compatability for burning disc. Try that.

Randy

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 30. 2011 09:16

Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
Jim978 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I had already update the firmware in my blu-ray player, and the update didn't work any better than the previous version. I tried several other things to eliminate or at least isolate the problem. I went with no menu, purchased and burned dvd-r media and burned a disc with ImgBurn. No luck.

I did think of another possibility that doesn't involve PD 10, discs or even (I think) my blu-ray player.

I purchased PD in the middle of last week. Then Friday my laptop had a siezure of the hard disc variety. It took a couple of hours to bring it back to life, and it's still on life support. So early Saturday morning I was at the local big box store picking up a new laptop. It's got a Core i5 processor, 6gb of memory, and comes with Windows 7 Home Premium. That's the machine I was using to learn PD. Since my old machine (AMD Turion, 2gb memeory, and Windows XP Home) still works (I haven't shut it down since I can't be sure it will restart), I decided to give it a try. I constructed a very simple project and burned a disc. It worked on my blu-ray player! Next I duplicated that project on my new laptop. It will play on my old (not a blu-ray) player, but it won't play and the blu-ray machine.

So, it seems the problem is either with Windows 7 or the disc drive ... or some combination of the two ... that makes the output unplayable (including mpeg-2 standard def videos)!

Ideas anyone (I haven't got a clue!)?

Thanks for
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried burning disks on the two PCs and then switch them to see if they can play each other's disks? Jerry Schwartz
Jim978 [Avatar]
[Post New]
jerrys,

Both productions run on the old laptop, the new laptop and the old dvd player. The production created on the old PC runs on the blu-ray player, but the production created on the new PC will not run on the blu-ray player. Is an exorcism in order here?
Jim978 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thought of another test. I don't know if this will help identify the problem, but it may at least eliminate one of two possibilities.

I burned a data dvd+r using jpg files, to see whether my blu-ray player could read a different file format created on my new laptop. No problem! The blu-ray players functions and it should and the photos all display perfectly. This makes me suspect that there is something in the PD video file that is confusing my blu-ray play (and myself as well).

Could a setting be out of whack? What setting might confuse a blu-ray player but not confuse a dvd player?
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: jerrys,

Both productions run on the old laptop, the new laptop and the old dvd player. The production created on the old PC runs on the blu-ray player, but the production created on the new PC will not run on the blu-ray player. Is an exorcism in order here?

Let's eliminate the player from the equation for the moment.

Can a disk burnt on the old laptop be played on the new one?

Can a disk burnt on the new laptop be played on the old one?

If both answers are "yes," then the disks are being burnt correctly. That would point to the player as being finicky, and we can concentrate on that.
Jim978 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help and persistence.

Discs burned on either laptop play on both laptops and both players (dvd and blu-ray). The only thing that won't play is a disc burned on the new laptop when it is inserted into the blu-ray player. Even then, the menu launches and operates as it should. It is the only the video behind the menu that won't play. By the way, the new laptop will play an AVCHD disc burned on that player, not just mpeg-2 SD.

Is that weird or what?
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: Is that weird or what?

Yes. But it seems like you've narrowed the problem down to your Blu-ray player.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2011 13:22

KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Very odd! Take both disc down to a local electronic store and see if they will play on various players.

Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
Jim978 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to everyone for your support and ideas. The good news is I have resolved the problem. The bad news is that I can't say exactly why I had the problem to begin with.

PD 10 discs created on the old laptop played just fine everywhere ... including the blu-ray player. When they were created on the new laptop they would play everywhere except the blu-ray player. That led me to conclude that the problem was somewhere in the new laptop. I could only think of one action I could take with the laptop, and that was to uninstall PD 10 and then reinstall it. After the reinstallation I put together a quick and dirty project, then burned an ACVHD disc (uisng 720p clips and authoring as in a 720p format). It played on my blu-ray player!

Why was the first install problematic? I have no idea (and right now I'm just happy to be up and running).

Thanks again to all of you.

Jim
Graeme1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2008 17:51 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem 10 months ago. My LG bluray player would not play a blu-ray disk with a PD menu , delete it, and it played .I did marched into a electronic store and asked the assistant to try other players.(Entry level players )Pana,Pioneer ,LG The only player that could handle that disk was Sony. All Models. The staff were highly amused and I came home very happy,and have not had any trouble. All of this was with Power director 9 and now have pd 10 and still no trouble.
Jim978 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I finally completely resolved the problem I was having, and I know why PD10 output from my old laptop played on my blu-ray player while PD10 output from my new laptop wouldn't.

When producing a video with the old laptop (Windows XP Home SP2 with an AMD Turion processor) PD10 does not automatically select SVRT for rendering purposes. With the new machine (Windows 7 Home Premium with an Intel COREi5 processor) SVRT is automatically selected ... something I had not noticed until very recently. So, I rendered with SVRT turned off and (drum roll, please) the video plays perfectly on my blu-ray player!

Thought I'd pass this along ... and thanks again to everyone who responded to my plea for help.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I think most of us keep SRVT turned off all the time. Thanks for posting your fix.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link