Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
amount on DVD
PeteS [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Maryland, USA Joined: Oct 18, 2011 14:17 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
My DVR can record 8 hours of video on a 4.7Gb disc. Can I burn to disc in Cyberlink the same amount?
In a related question when I produce can I know in advance how may Gb will be generated with a given profile? Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My DVR can record 8 hours of video on a 4.7Gb disc. Can I burn to disc in Cyberlink the same amount?
In a related question when I produce can I know in advance how may Gb will be generated with a given profile? Thanks

It may be possible to use Smart Fit and get that much on a DVD, but the quality will really be bad.

Good quality Video on a DVD is a maximum of 2 hours and that is if you burn a double layer DVD.

One hour for 4.7 GB DVD
Two hours for a 8.5 GB DVD.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Probably need to know a little more about your DVR format on DVD as DVRs can usually record and play H.264, MPEG4 Part 2, MPEG2 .mpg, MPEG-2 .TS, and VOB video files to name a few. A simple comparison to PD for a DVD HQ MPEG2 VOB structure may not be that comparable to the 8 hours you suggest. A Mediainfo listing for the files on your DVD from your DVR would provide more info.

Quote: It may be possible to use Smart Fit and get that much on a DVD, but the quality will really be bad.

I think the best Smart Fit can do is reduce frame size to 352x240 (for NTSC) and average bitrate of 2200Kbps for DVD MPEG2 VOB structure so for action video you can fit 4hrs on a 4.7GB DVD, however, mostly unviewable quality by most standards. The above statement is only valid for action video, if all you have is a bunch of still pictures in a video all bets are off.

Jeff
PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
DVD format is VOB or VRO. How do I get a Mediainfo listing? And how do I activate a "Smart Fit"?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: DVD format is VOB or VRO. How do I get a Mediainfo listing? And how do I activate a "Smart Fit"?

MediaInfo is a free program found on the internet (Search for it), that gives information on Video and Audio files.

It works on most all file formats, including VOB or VRO.

Smartfit is available in the Create Disk Module of Powerdirector.

See the attachment.

[Thumb - CreateDisk_Smartfit.jpg]
 Filename
CreateDisk_Smartfit.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Disk Preferences tab Create Disk Module.
 Filesize
109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
160 time(s)
PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks muchly I appreciate PD is a very powerful program but being a numbie I'm having a
slow time getting acquainted with all the features even with the "you tubes", etc