Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Recommendations for you PC's
[Post New]
Quote: As I said, I tried to test it, and PD does use GPU acceleration, no doubt about it. But when I upgraded video to the 5 times faster GPU - nothing changed in PD10's performance.

The drivers for Nvidia cards have fluctuated in efficiency over the last few WHQL releases. Another release is due out that should help with leveraging more of the power of your GPU.

There is a significant difference in the performance of the newer GPUs depending on the CUDA Cores (in the case of Nvidia), more so than dedicated memory.

Although it seems counter-intuitive, the Senior users here have found that in MOST cases, turning OFF (unchecking) the hardware acceleration (HA) settings in "preferences" utilizes the GPU better....not sure why, but this has ALWAYS been the case for me.

Now that SVRT is starting to work (in recent PD10 builds), this MAY change...but for now, I suggest you turn HA OFF if you have a strong video card! Hope this helps.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2011 15:41

deim [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Toronto Joined: Nov 19, 2011 22:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
FredB,

Thanks for replying!

Quote: Although it seems counter-intuitive, the Senior users here have found that in MOST cases, turning OFF (unchecking) the hardware acceleration (HA) settings in "preferences" utilizes the GPU better....not sure why, but this has ALWAYS been the case for me.

Ok, I will try it again. But there is also a checkbox about hw acceleration right on PRODUCE page. It looks like this checkbox actually overrides the setting in Preferences. Should both of this switches be left OFF?

I remember I was reading somewhere (I think), that turning GPU HA Off actually improves the quality of encoded clip.
[Post New]
deim;
The checkbox on the "produce screen is for "encoding". The checkbox on the preferences is for "decoding". Different functions.
(see attached)
For recent versions I turn ON HA in the "preferences" as this also affects the transitions and fades...but I am still not comfortable that the encoding selection in the "production" area functions optimally with SVRT and I leave that OFF/UNCHECKED.

The truth is, I have found that the majority of video related issues (once you get your setting done on a STRONG machine) are related to the CARD DRIVERS. They are still only supporting OpenCL on SOME cards (400 and 500 series are supported). As I mentioned, Nvidia is still working on this. So, now that I look at my setting, I have HA ON in preferences. IF you have trouble, that is the FIRST thing I would turn OFF. Sorry for my confusing post..I am still testing video drivers.
[Thumb - Untitled-1.jpg]
 Filename
Untitled-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
110 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
283 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2011 16:07

deim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Btw, if nVidia is still having an issues with CUDA, what about AMD video cards?

I noticed, that in PD preferences there is not a word about CUDA (which is proprietary to nVidia), and only marketing words on Cyberlink website tell something about CUDA.
But PD has OpenCL in preferences.

So, I was thinking, maybe OpenCL (the only system implemented in AMD cards) would be better for PD then nVidia CUDA?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2011 16:23

[Post New]
deim;
Cuda and OpenCL are both supported/implemented by Nvidia and PD10 (depending on the card and driver). Look at the attached "About" screen.
Also notice that CUDA is not shown on the previous screen that I posted for HA.
It has been a few years since I have used ATI/AMD products, so someone else will have to comment on that.
[Thumb - Untitled-1.jpg]
 Filename
Untitled-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
254 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2011 16:38

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Fred.... since when did you become a forum moderator?

Lighten up ............ I for one did not see any problem with Andrew's ideas.... I bet there is enough server space for these topics to go on forever....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2011 17:02

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Edited to remove my response..sent via PM instead, as it doesn't relate/contribute to the topic.
FB

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2011 17:10

andrew3202 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: indiana Joined: Sep 29, 2011 22:10 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I love DanielaJ's post.

FYI, I render a 4 minute video to h.264 1/2 is video footage from my Canon Vixia, and the other half are photos from my Canon Still Camera, all reduced in size, and using the frames slideshow template renders is about 30 seconds.

Perhaps what's needed is a "Benchmark" project all of us PD users can render and report the results.

deim [Avatar]
[Post New]
That would be REALLY useful!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2011 17:47

DanielaJ
Newbie Location: Central Texas Joined: Mar 08, 2011 13:05 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I know the 'tweaking subject' is a bit off the subject, but want to clarify something: I certainly do know that the less you have on a hard drive, be it content that is part of the OS (and I do know it contains lots of files that are not needed for everyone's computer), installed programs or personal data, the better and faster the computer will work for and with any particular task, especially anything to do with graphics.

If I would take the time to run two computers - one for only graphics related tasks and another one for everything else, I would. Then, certainly, editing itself and especially the rendering phase would be quite a bit faster.

I was simply trying to point out that even though my poor computer is being bogged down with a bunch of stuff, I am still able to complete my graphics project, even though time-wise it certainly would end up on the bottom of the bench-mark