Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Refresh Rate - Thanks for not finishing the job
SuprDave [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 12, 2011 17:16 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I've read all the questions about PowerDVD and refresh rates. CyberLink, it's time for you to admit that you got so far and simply quit. For those of you who are unaware of the problem, you probably watch your movies on a small screen, or just have accepted tiny jitters as normal. The truth is, Blu-Rays are supposed to be played at 24Hz, not 60. When you watch one at 60, the movie must skip or pause (not sure which one) over frames to stay aligned with the audio. On a large, high quality screen, it's so noticable that some may decide that Blu-Ray is not worth it. On smaller screens and cheaper large screens, its not so bad. I suppose this has been acceptable since they first rolled out BR compatibility. When 3D was finally rolled out, they had no choice but to force PowerDVD to run at 24Hz for 3D. I have several 3D BR's and they are clear, smooth, and impressive. When the movie is over, Windows switches right back to 60Hz again. By the way, everything else in Wndows runs like doo doo at 24Hz. I bring this up before someone suggests switching everything to 24Hz. It's not a practical solution. When watching a regular Blu-Ray, the quality is terrible... until you break out the keyboard, minimize Windows Media Center, open up the video controls in Windows, and dig several layers down to change the refresh rate. Once you have changed everything to compensate for PowerDVD's mistake, the movie plays as well as the 3D movies do. When you are done with your movie, you've still gotta undo the changes in Windows. All that trouble really makes a $100 stand-alone player look pretty good, but that's not why we set up our Media Center PC, is it? Why, why, why doesn't it switch to 24Hz when playing regular BR's? Suppose someone doesn't want it to switch. Shouldn't we be given the option to allow or disallow? Why would you add this feature for 3D only? I'm ashamed to admit that I have one kick butt computer because of PowerDVD. It must be my video card. Nope. Processor? Nope. Memory? Nope. Those HDMI cables were cheap. Nope. They've all been replaced with the good stuff, and it still plays like crap. One little fix guys. A simple patch. You wrote it. I bought it. PLEASE FIX IT.

Evolving007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 07, 2010 14:16 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I agreed so much with the previous comments!! I am sure most users of powerDVD 11 buy the software as a bluray player.
24Hz switching is essential feature but it appears Cyberlink think features like Facebook integration and movie live are more important.... Listen to your customers. We don't want this junk. We just want a reliable, good performing Bluray player
Please, please fix this
tHE uKER [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2011 21:14 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
+1
Nobody wants Moovie Live and Facebook.
We just need the tech stuff to work right.
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
I totally agree guys. I have a 120 hz. Tv and it is reckless with this software. It doesn't play smoothly with the TVs processor. I've had the last three powerdvds and this has always been a problem
Bernd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 19, 2011 14:53 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same here. Please fix 23.976 frames/s Blueray playback soon.
Media-bug1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2010 18:46 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Tmt5 with 114 patch has auto refresh rate. Works fine on most systems, but there are some issues.
You can use Any Dvd too auto switch refresh rate. If you have My Movies it can copy dvds and blu-rays from within Media Center also.
Power Dvd has better UI, but Tmt runs blu-rays smoother on most systems I have tried it. The HD-sim is not so god on tmt.
[Post New]
Quote: +1
Nobody wants Moovie Live and Facebook.
We just need the tech stuff to work right.

Absolutely +1
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

thanks for your input - your suggestion are forwarded to the planning team for further investigation.

greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
SuprDave [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Fixing this in 11 may inspire me to buy 12 when released, but making me buy 12 to get this feature will probably cause me to look elsewhere. I already have more money invested in this than any stand-alone player made. I bet there are plenty others out there who really love your product too. We just want it to work right.
Thanks!
Dave
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
Panasonic PT-AE4000 Projector with the frame interpolation feature set at 3 (it's highest setting). I couldn't get Power DVD11 to work at all so I installed DVD10 which is free to HP computer owners.

DV8 laptop ; set the video card to output at 24 Hz, unchecked the box "Use Inverse telecine" and allowed the NVIDIA card to choose which is best for hard ware acceleration.

Power DVD10 ; Enabled Hardware Acceleration, left the default settings for De-interlacing Mode. They are: Perform De-Interlacing and choose "Based on bitstream flags" in the first drop down box. Perform Hardware de-interlacing, choose "Default" in the second drop down box.

The movies have been saved on the hard drive with Any HD DVD as ISO files and are played with Virtual Clone drive and the setting "Buffered I/O" had been chosen.

Before the installation of Power DVD10 I also installed madvr and unpacked it's files in "Program Files (x86)", installed
K-Lite Kodec pack "Full" where it will automatically install in Program Files (x86) so madvr will see the files from K-Lite

After each installation the computer was restarted. This so far this has been working, but time will tell, none of this worked with DVD11 Ultra (which I paid for) With the frame interpolation feature "off" DVD11 does work, but then there is lots of 24 fps (23.976) frame judder which is intolerable.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2011 20:22

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well so much for that, the movie (Another Earth) played fine until it got into this one scene where the software just couldn't keep up with the fast panning. It started dropping frames and skipping with reckless abandoned.
Tried it again with DVD11 Ultra and this time it worked _ almost. Around 20 minutes into a film the same skipping and frame dropping occurs, if I pause it, it works again, but only for another 20 minutes.

My stand alone BDP-S300 Sony player works flawlessly set at 24 fps, what is it doing that Power DVD11 Ultra can't ?

What seems to be going on here is that DVD11 is applying 3:2 pull down (which can't seem to be switched off I am guessing), my computers videos card is then putting it back to 24 fps (or rather 23.976 fps). Through all of this K-LIte is adding some more generic codecs that almost cleans up the mess, but not quite.

Even though my problem is different from what SuperDave posted here, I bet that if any one of you has a frame interpolation feature on your monitors, Power DVD11 would make an absolute mess of it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2011 18:03

SuprDave [Avatar]
[Post New]
The answer is in my original post. The software is flawed. Loading 3 or 4 other pieces of software to make it sort of work is unacceptable and they know it. I'm confident that Cyberlink will fix this issue. They are already doing it with the 3D configuration, they've just gotta tweak the non 3D playback to match the disc. Shouldn't be that hard but who really knows? It may be a total rewrite. As more and more high end TV's are making their way into people's living rooms, this topic will continue to come up. If they don't have it fixed until 12 is released, they should consider giving us a free or near free upgrade as compensation for purchase of a defective product.
Dave
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update : I have uninstalled and reinstalled trials and fixes so much that I have decided to do a clean install of the OS and only run the necessary drivers to play Blu-ray's (chipset, video etc.). No Windows updates were done nor am I running any Ant-Virus software. There is nothing on the computer except the OS and the items to play movies.

Right now I am running a trial of Arcsoft and they do not have a 24 fps button either, I have my NVIDIA card set to output at 23 hz which is 23.976 hz and it seems to work. I will be watching "Warrior" tonight with Virtual Clone Drive and I will report back. I also burned a disc of the movie which plays in my Sony BDP-S300 with no problems. With this I can make an objective comparison between playing the ISO files on the computer and the actual Blu-ray.

The disc in the Sony player plays the previews well, but not on the computer, they are a little jerky, so Arcsoft is already having a problem, but the actual movie appears to play OK, in the first few minutes of it anyway. As I said I will report back after I watch the entire movie.

After this experiment I will reinstall the OS again and load my payed version of DVD11 and see how that goes.

So what does all this mean, it may point out that a Windows update or rather any given Anti-virus software is causing the problems. I know over at the HP forums, where I have been there for over 2 years, many Anti-virus programs severely interfere with the installation and proper running of computer playing software. The Blu-ray part of it is especially affected.
The worst is Avira, Comodo, MacAffe, AVG and Avast. I even had to have one user totally uninstall MacAffe to get Power DVD10 to even run, a special tool form MacAffe had to be used to get rid of it all.

I will also point out here that there is an engineer over at Arcsoft who calls himself Jason-Arcsoft who addresses the problems right in the forum. He himself makes a serious attempt to create a given problem so he can trouble shoot it. It would be nice if Cyberlink would communicate back in this fashion rather opening up cases on an individual basis with help based out of India ( I am guessing). I do have a case open and I get the impression he is just reading from a script which is very useless for everyone.

If you go into the advanced play back settings in Power DVD11 you can turn off all 3:2 pull down methods, I also have this option in my NVIDIA card to uncheck "Inverse Telecine" (another 3:2 pull down method). The box "Enable Hardware Acceleration is checked off on DVD11 which will utilize the video rendering from the video card and not the CPU. In theory this all means that the Blu-ray movie is being allowed to output at 23.976 fps. Food for thought...

So why doesn't it work, as Superdave points out, the software is flawed, we'll find out tomorrow when I do another clean install and use DVD11.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 23. 2011 18:33

SuprDave [Avatar]
[Post New]
Arcsoft TMT5 is different and automatically switches the refresh rate per disc. There is no option in the setup to control this feature, it just happens. Apparently, it works so poorly that they offer a fix involving replacement of a file to permanently disable the feature. Overall, I had less success with TMT5 than PowerDVD. This does not mean that hey are off the hook. It just means that they are closer to having a good working product than others. Also, keep in mind that a there are other factors involved beyond a smooth, clear picture. The audio must be synched with the video properly. All audio modes should be supported too, especially HD audio. Another thing to consider is your hardware. You may have a great video card, but it may not fully support Blu-ray. Audio support is very important too. Most of the better video adapters support HDMI audio and video through a single cable. Trying to get everything working from two different sources may present problems as you attempt high quality audio. Your system may play DVD's like a dream but Blu-ray is a whole new ball game, especially at HD resolution.
Dave
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Arcsoft TMT5 is different and automatically switches the refresh rate per disc. There is no option in the setup to control this feature, it just happens. Apparently, it works so poorly that they offer a fix involving replacement of a file to permanently disable the feature. Overall, I had less success with TMT5 than PowerDVD. This does not mean that hey are off the hook. It just means that they are closer to having a good working product than others. Also, keep in mind that a there are other factors involved beyond a smooth, clear picture. The audio must be synced with the video properly. All audio modes should be supported too, especially HD audio. Another thing to consider is your hardware. You may have a great video card, but it may not fully support Blu-ray. Audio support is very important too. Most of the better video adapters support HDMI audio and video through a single cable. Trying to get everything working from two different sources may present problems as you attempt high quality audio. Your system may play DVD's like a dream but Blu-ray is a whole new ball game, especially at HD resolution.
Dave

Hi Dave and Merry Christmas !
Jason (Arcsoft software) had me disable 3D mode which is enabled by default even if you're not running 3D and that stopped the software from defaulting back to 60 Hz. (I have it set at 23 Hz [23.976]). There are some cases where the patch is needed, but not in my case because I am running NVIDIA.
Never had any problem with the audio, no matter what I have done to get my frame interpolation feature to work properly, my Denon AVR seems to compensate for any delay and this is absolutely necessary with interpolation.
Through all of this the video card does support HDMI (laptop is a little over a year old) and handles HD Blu-ray just fine. Funny thing is the NVIDIA 230M is already out of date, but is still plenty enough to do Blu-ray. If I was gaming I would need a new machine. Don't watch DVD's at all _ terrible resolution for my screen set at around 100 inches. I am running a Panasonic PT-AE4000 Projector.

I did manage to get DVD11 to play through "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" to play quite well. It may have had two tiny frame drops through out the entire movie, but they were so small that it could have been a flaw in the actual disc. I had to run a trial to get it to work, if I installed DVD10, download my upgrade, download the two patches, it worked horribly. Through all of that it installed two Microsoft Visual packages and automatically uninstalled Power DVD11 twice. The problem with all that is that one is not able to restart the computer. I believe that all the automatic installing and uninstalling screws up the registry enough where it won't run properly. Installing the trial by passed all of that nonsense and it worked well.
There is another thread where people are complaining about this.

I will also point out that none of the players, Corel, DVD11 and TMT5 played the previews at the beginning of the movie "Warrior" who knows why and who cares. (probably because the trailers are video base and not film based)
This project has been eating up so much time it's getting to the point where I am going to quit. Burning the ISO files to a BD-RE DL takes a around 3 hours to burn, but I seemed to have worked all the kinks out of that and I will no longer need a computer Blu-ray player.
What really bugs me is that my case worker wants me to help him out so the Cyberlink engineers can find a solution. Why should I help CyberLink for a product I paid for ?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 25. 2011 02:28

hakimo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2011 06:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

PLEASE, definitely, +1 +1 +1 +1

I run PowerDVD 11 in cinema mode on my HTPC, the very first step is to diasable all the unnecessary crap (like Movie Live or Facbook, etc.).

But PLEASE do the auto-change of the refresh-rate (I tried Reclock but it is just a "cludge", besides the fact that there is an incompatibility with PowerDVD 11 <-> Reclock 1.8.7.7 making it not render a second graph after having hit stop once).

CyberLink, please do that soon!

Harry
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

our planning team is informed and is discussing such knid of feature for future versions of PowerDVD

thanks for your input and greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi there,

PLEASE, definitely, +1 +1 +1 +1

I run PowerDVD 11 in cinema mode on my HTPC, the very first step is to diasable all the unnecessary crap (like Movie Live or Facbook, etc.).

But PLEASE do the auto-change of the refresh-rate (I tried Reclock but it is just a "cludge", besides the fact that there is an incompatibility with PowerDVD 11 <-> Reclock 1.8.7.7 making it not render a second graph after having hit stop once).

CyberLink, please do that soon!

Harry

Yes reclock is a buggy piece of software, it works sometimes and then not and it doesn't support DTS audio output. I could not get it to work with DVD11 either.

@ Cyberlink-Michael

I played a Blu-ray of "Dolphin Tale" and no matter how I installed DVD11 it would not get more then 10 minutes into it and it started dropping frames.
Here is my ticket number, your guy had me record lots information for you. CS001078251 _ interesting how it was closed and then opened again.
I am done with this, I will check the sight now and then for an updates, but I have been down this road before with software developers. It takes weeks or months depending on how many people report this problem.
I find that DVD11 doeasn't need an auto refresh rate, my NVIDIA card remembers where it's set at when I plug in the HDMI cable.
I just want DVD11 to work with my frame interpolation feature on. (Panasonic PT-AE4000)

Can I assume that you guys have a test lab with a monitor (TV) with this function on it or even a projector. I would love to come down with my eqipment and show you exactly what's going on.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2011 12:25

Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think I have solved my problem in this thread, time will tell.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20554.page

To address the original problem here, what my computer does is it automatically remembers my settings so I don't need a 24 fps button from CyberLink. I have my NVIDIA card set at 23 Hz (23.976) and when I plug in the HDMI cable to my AVR > Projector it automatically switches to that and when I disconnect it, the computer automatically switches back to 60 Hz for Windows.
All the sound settings are automatically switched as well.

I also have "no de-interlacing" set in the advanced settings on DVD11 Ultra, this makes sense to me since the output from a Blu-ray disc is progressive. I also have it turned off in my video card as well.
Wolf-359 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2013 21:29 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
EVERYONE! JUST LISTEN! Problem is solved below for everyone!

Go to "DESKTOP PROPERIES of your graphics card(s) control panel. You know you are there when you see your computer's native resolution, native refresh rate being displayed. You will also see options to change these.

SOLUTION: Set your desktop's refresh rate to whatever media you are playing to align the TV with your movie/TV show:

Blu Ray: 24Hz ALWAYS. Any blu ray will always be 24Hz
DVD: 30Hz almost always (your resolution will say 1080i instead of 1080p)
TV Shows on DVD: 30Hz but some HD shows now are 60Hz. You will clearly see the judder if your TV show is 60Hz
TV Shows on Blu Ray are always converted to 24Hz playback, so treat them like your Blu ray movies

DONE.

NOTES: Remember that Hertz (Hz), TV refresh rates, and frames per second all correspond to the signal being sent out to and from all of your media devices. This is why it gets so confusing but they are all basically the same. FOR EXAMPLE: If your TV is say 120Hz, this is virtually the same as saying your TV processes 120 frames per second and that it has a 120Hz refresh rate. They all correspond. So if your TV is 60Hz, this means it is capable of displaying a maximum of 60 frames per second, which is 60Hz and is also the refresh rate. They are all the same.

Cyberlink will never be able to get this right because every media is different and they all are different for other countries. America used to use 30Hz interlaced (known as 60i) which was why TV's until recently have all been 60Hz. Now that TV's are 120Hz and higher we can see that the signals are not aligning properly to the television. So line it up yourself like I told you!