Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you know if it is frozen during render?
Chjoni [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2007 22:08 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I have clicked on Produce, and went to bed. It made it to 60% and now is just sitting there. How long do I wait for it to be there before I give up and admit that it is "frozen" like I have heard others say?

The time is still ticking away but the numbers under the big Producing Window which tell you where you are at in your video are just sitting there.
[Post New]
Chjoni;
It is frozen..Reboot the program. Is yours a TRIAL version or registered version?

We CAN help, but we need two things to help you. Go to the link below and provide PART A (Mine says Ultra64 10.0.0.1012) and PART B (your DXDIAG file):
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 07. 2011 16:16

Chjoni [Avatar]
[Post New]
PowerDirector Deluxe 10.0.0.1012
SR VDE110927-04
 Filename
ChjoniDxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
284 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2011 18:40

[Post New]
One thing I would suggest you correct right away is the Video Drivers. They are 4 years old. You can get new drivers directly from Nvidia. Go to the link below and enter the information for your OS and GeForce 8600 GT card to get the new drivers:

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

Your processor is slower and RAM memory is low, video card is old with limited DEDICATED Video Memory and Vista sometimes struggles with PD10, but my guess is that the New Drivers will help somewhat.

After you install the video drivers, reboot the machine and try your project again. If you are still having trouble, we will have to look at the contents of your project itself.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 07. 2011 21:03

Chjoni [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Your processor is slower and RAM memory is low, video card is old with limited DEDICATED Video Memory and Vista sometimes struggles with PD10, but my guess is that the New Drivers will help somewhat.

How do I fix this stuff? Or are you telling me I need a new computer?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
The overall PC configuration is low powered for HD editing. For SD it should suffice if your video drivers are OK. Vista is not know for great video streaming capabilities. Win 10, i7
Chjoni [Avatar]
[Post New]
It did work finally. Thank you. My husband changed something to make PD the top priority or something like that? No clue.

I HATE Vista, I did not choose it. If I change to Windows 7 will it help?

Is there anything I can do to make it better that is not going to cost a ton of money?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2011 09:54

DanielaJ
Newbie Location: Central Texas Joined: Mar 08, 2011 13:05 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Chjoni, re your question if changing from Vista to Windows7 I may be able to offer some help, since computer setup, repair etc is my part-time job...

After checking your computer-specs, I do agree with Fred that they are a bit on the edge of today's technology. The processor, even though not a bad one, is of a pretty old generation and you may, indeed, want to consider getting a new computer if it is in your budget.
The RAM installed is on the edge, too. Vista or Windows7 OS require about 2 gig of RAM to just run itself, which leaves very little physical memory to perform any larger task, especially when it comes to editing. Yes, your computer also uses virtual memory, but it does not work the same way and is no replacement for the physical memory.

As to changing from Vista to Windows7...I don't believe it will help you much. Vista IS Windows7 with brakes on, so to speak, even though some of those were fixed in the SP2 release. Yes, Windows7 performs better, sure, but it is still bound to the relatively low specs of your computer and software can not make up for hardware limitations, as I am sure you are well aware of.

If it was me, I would prefer not to spend the money on upgrading your computer, be it to Windows7, additional RAM, etc. since by saving up a bit more, you could buy a new computer with much more current specs. Personally I am sticking with Intel processors, Core I5 and up, and have a minimum of 6 gig of Ram installed with "room" to upgrade. Don't get hung up on a certain brand of computer, as it comes down to the specs and the brand-name of those, rather than which company assembles them. Takes a bit more time to research those details, but I believe that in the end it be worth it.

As always, this is my personal assessment and opinion and I am hoping it may help you in assessing your computer/upgrade options.
[Post New]
Chjoni;

Quote: As to changing from Vista to Windows7...I don't believe it will help you much. Vista IS Windows7 with brakes on, so to speak

So much of the hype created around a new OS (we are already hearing it for Windows 8 ) are about SALES and not your NEEDS. In the case of Vista versus Windows 7, however, there is much more support for programs like PD10 in Windows7 and a more complete interface. Using Windows7 is a nicer experience because of that and for powerful programs like PD10, you should move.

I do not recommend trying to upgrade your machine to run PD10. Too much has changed since your Inspiron 530 came out. If you look, there are relatively inexpensive machines available that can run PD10 that won't "break the bank". Cyberlink has specification requirements posted all over the place, but as a general guide/suggestion, here are some items of note that will help when you are shopping, maybe :

1. i5 or i7 Intel based machine (1st generation will work), do not get an i3 processor. Or at LEAST an AMD Phenom II X4
2. Desktop NOT a Laptop
3. Nvidia graphic card with at LEAST 1GIG of dedicated video memory (Nvidia cards work best with Intel CPUs, ATI cards work best with AMD processors (see #1 above)
4. Get a large SATA hard drive. Do NOT use a solid-state drive (SSD). SSD does not work well with non-linear editing systems (NLE) like Powerdirector.

I hope that helps you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 08. 2011 10:49

DanielaJ
[Post New]
Right, Fred, I quite agree with your sentiments. I am certainly aware that Windows7 works quite a bit better with most software than Vista and between the two I would always, always choose Windows7 and recommend against Vista. The only reason I feel that changing that particular computer over to Windows7 would not result in an over-all improvements are the 'old' hardware specs.

Would it be a newer model or higher specs as the case may be, I would suggest to invest into an upgrade to Windows7. That is why I also suggested to consider the cost of upgrade versus cost of a new computer.

Just did not want to be misunderstood on the subject of Vista versus Windows7 in general - if I did not explain 'it' right before, I do apologize.
[Post New]
DanielaJ;

I was not disagreeing with you, just attempting to add additional clarity for Chjoni during the search.

Quote: In the case of Vista versus Windows 7, however, there is much more support for programs like PD10 in Windows7
DanielaJ
[Post New]
Fred, you are so right in doing so. It is always best to get as much information, points of view and so on from different users. And if you were to disagree, Fred, that be just fine. I always try to offer correct information, but I do make mistakes and then I am grateful for others to correct me.

Hopefully with all this input Chjoni will be able to find the right solution and end up with a well working computer. :
andrew3202 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: indiana Joined: Sep 29, 2011 22:10 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
The secret to upgrading follows..
Rule #1.
Purchase a newer faster hard drive than is currently in the machine, a 7200RPM is the minimum...
Rule #2.
review the listing of devices in the device manager and write it all down, you'll need to record the network card, sound card, graphics card, ...
Rule #3.

Visit the vendors site and determine what Windows 7 drivers are available... IF none are listed, that's not the end, the original maker of the chipset may have them.. Visit Intel.com and go to drivers and let it's analyzer take a peak and see if it recognizes the chipset and more...

The two single most drivers you want to have on a usb stick are the CHIPSET INF drivers and and the NETWORK CARD Drivers, with these you'll at least be able to download others...

You'll also want to download a windows executable BIOS upgrade file. I won't talk about the hard way...

Given that you can find some drivers for Windows, I'd go for it...

Rule#4 did you make a set of Windows 7 Installation DVD from your machine.. Nows a good time...

Install or have a friend install the new hard drive....and use your Windows 7 DVD to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 onto the new hard disk.. (THE OLD HARD DRIVE is you get out of JAIL free card) if all goes to %$^$^, simply reinstall the old one.

Assuming Window 7 installed, install the CHIPSET drivers, then the LAN card, Graphics, card,

If you have a newer Intel Chipset, a chipset that support Rapid restore, you should have also download the RAID drivers, and set the ATA settings to.....AHCI

Intel Board also like the AMT drivers,, and integrated graphicss.....

After installing Windows 7, disable the search service, disable the AERO interface, and search for a listing of services that can be disabled in windows 7..

If you've made it this far, I can assure you that Windows 7 will run better that Vista, and in most case faster than XP....

I've tweaked a few hundred installations of all of them, for work and pleasure...

Chjoni [Avatar]
[Post New]
You have all been very helpful. I know nothing about computers as I am sure you can tell.

I have been able to figure out where the information is regarding my Video Card and if I am reading this DX thing correctly it states I have only 241 MB of Dedicated memory and you are telling me I should have 1 G? I believe I do have the Nvidia brand though.

What kind of processor do I have .... I suppose the kind you said not to have. How do I communicate that I want an i5 or i7?

Will it say somewhere that it is a SATA hard drive? and what is Large?

Andrew, you sound very knowledgeable but I did not understand a word you said.

Quote:

1. i5 or i7 Intel based machine (1st generation will work), do not get an i3 processor. Or at LEAST an AMD Phenom II X4
2. Desktop NOT a Laptop
3. Nvidia graphic card with at LEAST 1GIG of dedicated video memory (Nvidia cards work best with Intel CPUs, ATI cards work best with AMD processors (see #1 above)
4. Get a large SATA hard drive. Do NOT use a solid-state drive (SSD). SSD does not work well with non-linear editing systems (NLE) like Powerdirector.

I hope that helps you.