Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where Did It Go?
micncue [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2009 20:05 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I've spent a few hours editing a 9 minute piece (using CTL+S tons of times along the way). When I was done, I went to CREATE DISC. While futzing around with the home page, etc. I did a CTL+S to save the project. Shortly there after, I went back to my timeline, and all of my work was gone. The clips were still in the bin. None were checked as if they'd been selected for use on the timeline. I went back to FILE - OPEN PROJECT. Clicked on that and all that comes up are the bin clips. And when I go back to CREATE DISC, all I get is random shots for the home page, etc. Where did that sucker go? I'm on v. 9.0.0.2316 Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Check in your autosave location for an earlier PDS file and try opening the project with that file.

To find that location look in Preferences ,Projects at the Auto Save Project. You can click the Browse button to go there.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

micncue [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the response. I can't find the .psd file by name via the auto save project browse window. That only brings up folders. Attached is a screenshot of where I'm at with that. I'm hoping it's something simple I'm not doing. Thanks again.
[Thumb - PD9 ISSUE.jpg]
 Filename
PD9 ISSUE.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
193 time(s)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
A part of the link is hidden on the end of the text box, if you put you mouse cursor in the box (click in box) you can scroll to the end of the link.

The default auto Save location for Windows 7 and PD 9 is:

Default AutoSave location.
C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\AutoSave\

Replace USER with your user name.
They may be hidden files, you may have to adjust your Folder Options to show Hidden files.

Are you using Windows XP? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

micncue [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
Thanks again for the assistance. Below is another screenshot. I'm using Vista. I've edited quite a few .psd files before without any issues. The c:/ string was complete. There is no location w/ AutoSave at the end. I've unhidden files for the sake of this experiment. There are more folders, however nothing that indicates any saved files. Thanks.
[Thumb - pd9.jpg]
 Filename
pd9.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
174 time(s)
Carl312
[Post New]
Did you look in that folder with Windows Explorer?

The browse button in preferences only shows folders, it does not show files.

It is actually a tool for changing the autosave location. I personally have my auto save location where I want it.

My backup project files go here on my computer, because I changed the location to where I know where the files are.
D:\Project Backup files\
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Bizarre, Halloweenish thing you went through there, micncue --Carl is steering you right, as he always does when he responds to posts. Auto-Save is your friend--you have to get familiar with where those files are kept. You're only a click away from saving either all, or at least most of your work.

RB
micncue [Avatar]
[Post New]
I could never find any backup to the project. There was never any file location designated to do that. Is that something the user has to set up? The auto save file was the one shown in the previous screenshot. It is what it is. I've had to redo the edit, so that kind of sucks. But hopefully by creating a new backup/auto save folder, those backups will end up there instead of in the ether. Thanks for all your input.
Carl312
[Post New]
I could never find any backup to the project.

The default project backup folder in Powerdirector is a Hidden folder.

You have to change your Windows Explorer Settings to display hidden files and folders.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2011 21:10

micncue [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, When I wrote a note in October, I said that I had changed the folder option to display hidden folders & files. There's nothing in there that is a backup. A few folders show up, but none have any saved or backed up timelines. Can I make my own, then designate in PD's preferences a location of my choosing? It's a head scratcher for me. Thanks.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, When I wrote a note in October, I said that I had changed the folder option to display hidden folders & files. There's nothing in there that is a backup. A few folders show up, but none have any saved or backed up timelines. Can I make my own, then designate in PD's preferences a location of my choosing? It's a head scratcher for me. Thanks.

You do know that the Project files have a PDS extension.

Project files are the information about everything on the timeline and in the media library.

The default setting in Powerdirector is to do an automatic project file backup every 10 minutes.

The default location for PD 9:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\AutoSave\

There should be PDS files in that location if you have not changed the location or turned off the auto save.

micncue [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, I found the autosave files by doing a search off the start button for "autosave." Can't tell you why, even though I have unhidden files and folders, I can't see the string for AutoSave in Cyberlink\PowerDirector\9.0. The earlier screenshots show what I still see. Either way I did find the timeline that blew up. Thanks for your help.