Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Set Aspect Ratio
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 25, 2010 08:01 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
The problem is that I have an upgrade installer. It needs PD9 to be present - otherwise it won't install PD10.

rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
I KNOW you stated you had 1005...I am just checking to see if the patch installed.
===================================
Fred - it's 1005. I can't get 1012 to go on no matter what I try.

I think the difference must be that I paid for an upgrade to PD10. The installer I got requires PD9 to be installed. Looks like other people are working off of a full installer for PD10.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I KNOW you stated you had 1005...I am just checking to see if the patch installed.
===================================
Fred - it's 1005. I can't get 1012 to go on no matter what I try.

I think the difference must be that I paid for an upgrade to PD10. The installer I got requires PD9 to be installed. Looks like other people are working off of a full installer for PD10.

I don't remember, did you say that you had contacted CyberLink or not? I think they're pretty responsive to this particular kind of problem. Jerry Schwartz
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
I downloaded and installed the 1012 patch with no problems. My version is 10.0.0.1012 after the patch.
Before I installed PD10 and the Content Packs, I first uninstalled PD9, Wave Editor, Smart Sound and cleaned the registry of all of these.
I then installed PD10, Content packs, entered the registration number. Then registered the product with Cyberlink using my account.
====================================
twincity - you must have bought the full package rather than the upgrade? The reason I say that is if I uninstall PD9, I can not install PD10 at all. It's actually looking for PD9 to be installed. Then, when it installs PD10, PD9 is uninstalled first. Complex process. It seems to have thrown a monkey wrench into patches. No matter what I do the patch which should take me from 1005 to 1012 will not go on. It keeps complaining that I don't have PD10 installed. Yet, I do. I can start it, see it in the registry, etc... No idea what it is looking at to determine that I don't have PD10. Only the engineers would know that. Still waiting on an answer from the case I opened.
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't remember, did you say that you had contacted CyberLink or not? I think they're pretty responsive to this particular kind of problem.
Jerry, yes I did. I am keeping my fingers crossed for an answer. I would really hate to give up on PD10. Except for the aspect ratio problem, I like how it works. Way faster than PD9 doing "multi trims", etc...
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
while this topic has wondered off track a little, the patch should have worked on an upgraded version. I started with pd9 3305, just ran the upgrade install .exe, it removed old pd9 version and installed the pd10.1005 version. I entered the upgrade key. yesterday, updated to 1012 with no problem, just ran the file.

Try downloading and running CLcleaner from cyberlink, then redoing the cycle of installs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2011 22:23

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
CLcleaner?
==================================
Geez what a messy product. That's the last thing I am trying and then I want my money back for PD10. I really am disillusioned with the reliability of cyberlink products. Powerdvd is just as bad as powerdirector with bugs, difficult upgrades, etc...
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
CLcleaner cleans up some specific cyberlink keys in the registry, which windows usually does not remove on an uninstall. One of those keys stores the version and product key for the "active" version. Sometimes these registry entrees get messed up. It isn't just a cyberlink problem, it's been around for all versions of windows and even MACs have problems.

These forums get most of the problems highlighted, and those of us fortunate enough to have it work most of the time try to help the rest get to enjoy the neat program as it should be. Too many hardware and software combinations for any developer to get everything right ... thatis just life. It is a fun program when working well, worth the effort to get there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2011 22:22

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried uninstall PD10 and all it's pieces, run CLcleaner, install PD9, upgrade to PD10 and all of it's pieces, tried patch and it fails the same way.

The patch simply don't work. I appreciate all the comments trying to help me. But this product just isn't usable for me. If I can't get an answer from Cyberlink soon, I am going to ask for my money back and go back to PD9 which worked good enough.
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
These forums get most of the problems highlighted, and those of us fortunate enough to have it work most of the time try to help the rest get to enjoy the neat program as it should be. Too many hardware and software combinations for any developer to get everything right ... thatis just life. It is a fun program when working well, worth the effort to get there.
==================================
rocket-scientist

Agreed 100%. Everyone here is terrific answering these posts. I just wish that cyberlink wouldn't be so slow to respond. I had lots of problems with their response in the past to codec problems introduced by powerdvd.

Yes, I apprciate what CLcleaner does and what the registry is. I understand it's inherently messy though most of the time it's really bad install/uninstallers that create the mess.

I tried it and it didn't help. It was worth the try. But I can't use the program this way without being able to do something as basic as setting the aspect ratio of the video clip. In short, PD10 has become an obstacle and not a benefit. Well that's my issue to take up with customer service next.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Dumb question, but did you register PD10 before trying to install the patch? Jerry Schwartz
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dumb question, but did you register PD10 before trying to install the patch?
Yes! I tried everything suggested and then some more.

No idea why the patch doesn't think I am running PD10.
The registry looks intact from what I can tell.
SPICERPR0
Newbie Location: Ocean City, MD Joined: Jul 12, 2011 12:24 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I installed Patch 1012 successfully. However "Set Aspect Ratio" still hangs and crashes, which was specifically addressed by the patch. Is anyone else having this issue?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 07:56

Bill Spicer
Spicer Pro, LLC, Ocean City, MD
Win7 Professional 64-bit, Xeon 2.80GHz (4 CPUs)
6144MB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
It takes a community to resolve editing software issues.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I don't know if this is relevent but you may have to a 'cold boot'...shut down computer completely for 60 sec or so then turn on. I had to do that after installation as some of the included content didn't show up.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
SPICERPR0
[Post New]
I tried the cold-boot. The patch shows up in the "About CyberLink PowerDirector" box as 10.0.0.1012, so I assume it is installed correctly. But, "Set Aspect Ratio" still hangs and crashes.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 07:57

Bill Spicer
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
There's no question that the patch did fix the aspect ratio problem on my machine. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
It fixed it in mine also. Something I notice though, my dialogue box is different to yours as I just have a still image of the directors chair where you have an interactive image.

Maybe this is why I don't have access to updates etc from inside PD and why it tells me I am not connected to the internet when I try to register but I still get an email thanking me for registering. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
I get the directors chair for about 2 seconds then it switches to the picture that spicerpro psoted

Either way, aspect ratio is good on my end.
Rocket-Scientist
[Post New]
I get a completely diferent window for set aspect ratio. I think the reason is I am running window 7 in "classic" mode (turned off aero effects). May be that could be related to freezing. Try adjusting windows features to simplest possible and see if it helps. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
SPICERPR0
[Post New]
Yes, I learned early on that "Classic Mode" for Windows 7 cures a lot of ills.

Experimentation has revealed the hanging and crashing of "Set Aspect Ratio" (even after installation of Patch 1012) varies by file format. For example, MPG, MP4 and some flavors of AVI will open the dialogue box Okay, but any attempt to make a selection will cause a hang and crash.

However, WMV and MOV clips will display an empty dialogue box, which then hangs and crashes.

It may be that it is only an issue on my machine. I do understand that PD10 is at the mercy of an infinite number of hardware-software configurations. So, I will learn to accept this and live with it.

I thank everyone for their suggestions.

Note that I also posted this under PowerDirector 10 v1012 patch.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 08:05

Bill Spicer
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,
I have Aspect Ratio issue "in general" as being fixed in 1012. However as you are still having issues, I've referred your data to CyberLink.

So I get all the (your) information in ONE thread, please confine your input to this thread and not anywhere else.

1. Please provide a Diagnostic file
2. Please state whether you're using an upgrade or full build and from what version.
3. Please give an EXACT action list (numerical order) of EVERY selection you make so as a member of CyberLink can replicate your actions and results.
4. Please give exact information of the source material, and where it is located (I realise you have stated this previously).
5. What is the PowerUnit of your PC?

Thanks.

I'm trying to get you to provide all the information in one post.

My ref: 258 and 276

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2011 05:28