Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD10 Upgrade vs. Full Package
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Dear PD10 users,

I have understood that upgrading from PD9 to PD10, you lose all PD9 support rights. Buying the whole package NO.

Now, the question goes beyond that answer. The upgrade package have the same features and complements that the full package?
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
How did you figure that out?

I never had a reason to contact tech support, I have always figured it out by other means because I don't think CL's third party contract support can answer ANY question good enough to help because all they have is canned answers that do no one any good. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
If you buy the upgrade, you are transfering you existing license.

If you buy the full product, you are purchasing an additional license.

I don't know if CyberLink support bothers to check. Jerry Schwartz
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If you buy the upgrade, you are transfering you existing license. If you buy the full product, you are purchasing an additional license.

.. but the question is if the upgrade package have the same features and complements that the full package?
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: If you buy the upgrade, you are transfering you existing license. If you buy the full product, you are purchasing an additional license.

.. but the question is if the upgrade package have the same features and complements that the full package?

Yes, it does. Jerry Schwartz
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Thank you Jerry.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
From people I have talked to both versions.... the PDR to Ultra Upgrade 1005 and the PDR Ultra 1005 are both 533 megs in size. I have the upgrade. Even though I am having no problems, I wish I had bought the non upgrade. Because I reinstalled my Win 7 last week and I had to install PD9, AND register it BEFORE PD10 would install.

So we know they are the same package with the only difference is the Upgrade has a kicker that uninstalls your previous versions of PD and the other does not. Or it uninstalled mine without even asking, only a very quick window telling me it was going to.

And why would you think that the upgrade would not have something that the full package did?

What I am is surprised at that the Ultra package does not uninstall your previous version like the Ultra Upgrade.

I guess it would be cool to have PD9 and PD10 available but for no more than what I do... there is no real need to have both as long as PD10 does what I need. And so far it runs fine for me. Like PD 3,4,5,6,8,9 (7 was my problem child)....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2011 11:43

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 25, 2010 08:01 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
I made the upgrade and now am unable to put on the latest patch. All in all, I am unhappy with CyberLink right now.

Why not just provide a full install? They could check their record to validate that you are a PowerDirector 9 user,
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Quote: I made the upgrade and now am unable to put on the latest patch.
Take a look at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19667.page
Quote: Why not just provide a full install?
There is a full package, but you have to pay more and the only "advantage" will be that you can have PD9 and PD10 in the same computer, that for me is redundant
Quote: .......etc
Very usefull information. Has K'ung-fu-tzu say: Upgrade and move on, or get anchored where you are!
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Take a look at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19667.page
=====================================
Nicola,

yes thx. I realized that is the case BUT didn't see why I should pay more for it. On the hand, I was reluctant about buying an upgrade because buying upgrades sometimes causes grief.

There should be no reason why Cyberlink can't provide patches that work for all owners of PD10. All I am saying is that if they can't, I want a full product and am willing to pay the difference. They should have been upfront if there are going to be update problems.
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: I made the upgrade and now am unable to put on the latest patch. All in all, I am unhappy with CyberLink right now.

Why not just provide a full install? They could check their record to validate that you are a PowerDirector 9 user,

The upgrade transfers a single license from PD9 to PD10. You only have the right to use the one or the other, not both.

As for not being able to install the patch, that's an unrelated issue. I had absolutely no trouble. I realize that's cold comfort.

I was able to uninstall and re-install PD10 (upgrade version) over and over again without installing PD9. I suspect that there might have been some trace of PD9 left in the registry, but I wasn't able to find it. I've come to suspect that parts of the registry are encrypted in some fashion; but that's just a suspicion. Jerry Schwartz
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
As for not being able to install the patch, that's an unrelated issue. I had absolutely no trouble. I realize that's cold comfort.
====================================
Still waiting to any even the slightest response from Cyberlink. If I don't one in a another day, I am demanding a full refund and will go back to PD9. I don't have the time for this sort of buggy nonsense.
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Even after trying CLcleaner, the patch still won't install. So, when does cyberlink ever get around to answering their support email? A simple acknowledgement that they seen my case would be reassuring to some degree.
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Before turning to PD10, I have a last question:

Uninstall PD9 before making the offered UPGRADE? or let the PD10 upgrade installer take care of it?

Im receiving a lot of spam from CL saying that PD10 is the World's Fastest Video Editor!. I am quite afraid to install it. If you go to the forum, 95% of the resent post with problems are related to PD10. I wish that Captain or Ynotfish where here! Im sure that they have the best equanimity answer for all. Thats why cap have to navigate away.. far far away!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 15:06

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Uninstall PD9 before making the offered UPGRADE? or let the PD10 upgrade installer take care of it?

PD 10 and PD 9 can co-exist
Quote: PD10 & 9 can exist on the same machine. You do not have to uninstall PD9 to try PD10.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
NicolasNY;

PD9 and PD10 can COEXIST on the same machine only if you purchase the FULL version of PD10. If you get the UPGRADE file, you will lose PD9. Some people who bought PD10 in the very first days, got the FULL 1005 file (because the upgrade file was not READY), so this is causing some confusion, as THEY can run both. The upgrade file that is shipping now will remove PD9. The TRAIL version is the FULL version. You can let the installer for PD10 remove PD9.

As with all Powerdirector programs...the majority of the posts in the forums are about problems..NOT posts that say "Works great..I love it".

The issues with PD10 are LESS than the issues with PD9 and contains fixes for issues that remained in the last PD9 build release.

There are also new functionality and features that did not exist in PD9 (even if you DON'T count 3D).

You will be happier in PD10..even Barry the crab says so!!!

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 17:55

Bubba in TX
[Post New]
[size=13]
Carl ... Robert you are incorrect................ and correct...........

If you have the FULL version... yes... if you got the upgrade like I did NO..............

I was one that got the upgrade the second day it was announced and my downloaded version said PDR10 upgrade ver 8/9 or something like that. I do not remember what the original file name was as I saved it only as PD10 Upgrade.

On install it automatically UNINSTALLED PD9.

A couple days later due to an error I did with my primary partition making my windows 7 un-bootable, and doing a disk image recovery, I thought OK... since it uninstalls PD9 anyway I will go ahead and uninstall it BEFORE I install PD10 upgrade....

BUT to my surprise PD10 told me I had to have a previous version installed BEFORE it would install PD10....

OK no problem... I reinstalled PD9.... did not run it..... started the PD10 install, I again said I needed a previous version of PD...

OK.. I then ran PD9 and registered it..... the PD10 UPGRADE then installed with NO problem.

Unless you want to reinstall PD9 EVERY TIME you need to reinstall the PD10 upgrade... DO NOT GET THE UPGRADE.....

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 18:15

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Those that purchased the upgrade the first day got a link to the file named "CyberLink_PDR10_Ultra_1005_GM2......" this file does NOT remove the PD9 version. After that, the file was named "CyberLink.PDR10R_toUltra_1005_GM2...." (or PDR10NR for Non-Retail), this file DOES remove PD9.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 18:08

Bubba in TX
[Post New]
Fred... you are correct... I looked at my invoice and CyberLink.PDR10R_toUltra_1005_GM2 is the one I got...

What I don't understand is what the big broohaha is about it.... why would you expect to get a full blown version version when you buy an upgrade? Those that did that first day.... Yea for you guys... for us that didn't.... install it, say bye bye to PD9 and go on with it....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2011 18:31

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Bubba;
I hesitated on highlighting this 'cause I KNOW some will get all "SQUIGGLY" over it, but since this discussion keeps going on-and-on, I figured it might help finish it.

Full versus Upgrade...difference is only significant when you reinstall, eh? That is NOT new..all upgrades are the same....ALWAYS!

Moving on is the best...I agree!