Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PIP Editor
Dutli [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2006 21:27 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I'd like to be able to slide a PIP object into a clip, and have it stay in a certain area for say 5 seconds or so then fade out. Just applying a fade out, has it dissolve too quickly. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Jo
Kintara [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bristol, England, UK Joined: Aug 29, 2007 15:43 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dutli
Yes it is possible.
I'm not in front of PD PC at the moment, but this is from memory, and Im unable to check I got it right.
Save your project (just in case it crashes) useing a new "Save as" filename.
Place your object on the PIP track. Strech it to cover the full duration that is needed to slide in, hold then fade, say 10 seconds in all.
In PIP editor, select motion, select the path that goes from bottom left to top right. Straighten it if you wish.
Move the track pointer to the start of the track.
Position your object where you want it to start. You can use the scroll bars to start the object off-screen.
Move the track pointer to the middle of the track. Click the Add position point button and position it to where you want the object to stop
Move the track pointer to the end of the track.
Position your object where you want it to end, the same as the middle point. You can use the scroll bars to end the object off-screen.
Click the fade out box.
That should do it.
I'll check it out proper when I get a bit of free time
Kintara

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2007 22:39

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Kintara [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bristol, England, UK Joined: Aug 29, 2007 15:43 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
HI Dutli,
The above does work
I have included a script so you can see how it looks

Kintara
 Filename
Slide, Hold & Fade.pds
[Disk]
 Description
Using the default images PD comes with, this will slide a PIP from off-screen to center, hold for a few seconds then fade away
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
27 time(s)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Kintara [Avatar]
[Post New]
This one demonstrates the Hold feature in PIP a bit better.
Look at the Motion section in the PIP and play with the expanded (yellow) hold sections

Best of luck

Kintara
 Filename
Slide, Hold and move & Fade.pds
[Disk]
 Description
slide, hold, move, hold, slide, fade.
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
24 time(s)
Dutli [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 24, 2006 21:27 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Kintara,

I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I got one to work perferctly, then when I tried to do the second one, it still fades out too quickly, I'm moving the slider but it doesn't seem to really be controlling how long the item stays on screen. Does the duration of the clip pretty much control when the fade begins? My second pip is shorter than the first, and I think that's why its fading sooner on me I'll keep working at it, I'm sure it'll sink in. Thanks again for your quick response and your attached demos, they helped alot!!!

jo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2007 18:46

Kintara [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jo,
I'm no expert either, but I think the fade in or out is worked as a percentage of the clip. So the shorter the clip the quicker the fade.

Just throwing ideas out here, not tried them and stuck at work so no chance of trying it.
Have you tried to stretch the clip, or maybe slowing it down so it plays longer? How long is the clip that you are using as a PIP object? Maybe I'll try to recreate it.
No doubt some one will have more cleaver ideas, like having two PIPs, the first being the slide and hold, immediatly followed by a second PIP which is a still frame captured from the end of the 1st which then fades. The good thing about being a still is that you can extend it's duration so the fade can be as slow as you like.

Keep plugging away at it, I'm sure you'll find a way of doing it.

Kintara