Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
END of Future PD9 updates?
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
On September 16, CL launched the new Patch 3305 for PD9 and nearly a month later, announces the release of PD10. Who needs 3D capability right now edition? Maybe for video professionals and filmmakers, is great news, but for those of us, who make personal movies, family and work, it tells us nothing (for now). Maybe in a few years, when all have 3D TVs and 3D format is standard on all cameras, but for now I do not think that is better than PD9.

This time I agree with FredB (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19400.page#101774 ), shame on you! CL. As you may come to market a new version, do not even have solved some of the current problems PD9?

On the other hand, we may lose our rights if we managed to use PD10 upgrade (Ref. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/19400.page#101847)

From the fact that there is now PD10, no further updates will be for PD9?

Regards,
Nicolas

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2011 14:04

Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi NicolasNY
I fully agree with what you have said,in your post

I also gree agree with FredB (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19400.page#101774 ),

shame on Cyberlink leaving Thousand of customers with PD9 full of bugs,
and PD 10 Looks kike it is going the same way all you have to do is look at the PD10 FORUM to see the complaints about bugs and things not working the way they should,
do these programs ever get beta tested or are we the customers there BETA TESTERS
so many bugs,
mabey NEXT month they will bring out PD11????????????????????????????
Tomthumb

Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tomthumb,

PowerDirector 9 was Beta tested for a period of 3 months by about 40 members, unfortunately a considerable number of bugs found and reported at that time, have still not been corrected.

It would appear, that CyberLink decided that PowerDirector 10 did not need to be Beta tested in the normal manner, but was only tested by a few members who had 3D cameras, no disrespect to those members, but 3D technology in video editing software is relatively new and as such most will have lacked the necessary experience to fully test that functionality.

Seems that PowerDirector 10 is in fact PowerDirector 9 with a few added functions, as a result we now have 2 versions of the program which are and will remain unstable and unusable for some members.

For me personally, I only use PDR9 for basic editing, for anything that requires complex editing then I have to use another editing program, which whilst it is not as user friendly as PD9, it is very stable and does not constantly fall over.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Tomas G77
[Post New]
Hi RobertJ/oz

PowerDirector 10 is in fact PowerDirector 9 with a few added functions this is were the customer is being ripped of
THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN UPGRADE,
instead Cyberlink gives PD10 a bit of hype saying it is Faster, plus plus what a load of RUBBISH if you look on the forum people are complaining it is Slower plus it has the same bugs as PD9
I did use PD9 for basic editing, like you Robert I have other edit programes I use,

it is the fact that PEOPLE ARE BEING RIPPED OF BUYING PD10 if they don't need 3d editing which is not proper 3d anyway
and you have to were those stupid paper glasses what a waste of time,

I wonder how many dollars and pounds Cyberlink have taken of the LOYAL CUSTOMERS
I hope someone from CYBERLINK READS THIS, SHAME ON THEM FOR THE RIP OF OF THE YEAR
FURIOUS CUSTOMER THAT IS ME B--DY FURIOUS,
PD11 SHOULD BE OUT IN NEXT COUPLE OF MONTHS AFTER THIS DISASTER SOME WOULD HOPE

TOMTHUMB

Thomas G
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I have PD10 and I have been using it to edit quite a lot lately. While I did have the software pre-release I was not in any testing team. I organised the last PD9 beta test of over 50 members, many did not fulfil the role fully. I recorded all the reported issues during that time and I have done so with many of the PD9 reported issues (I passed them onto CybeLink as my Forum Moderator role). I have seen many issues fixed which were reported during both periods. The problems encountered by some who use PD9 are not necessarily encountered by others. User and PC specific issues are hard to fix for any software. Some improvements are non-fixable without a complete redraw of a module. For example SVRT in PD9 has specific issues for Panasonic users (not fixable in PD9), and Sony editors with 28mbps video (new camera models). For my own footage I couldn't use SVRT at all (Sanyo - all PD's). Canon editors complained about SVRT re the variable bitrate the Canon was outputting(SVRT couldn't handle the variation). With Intelligent SVRT in PD10 the matter of using SVRT for these cameras has been resolved and the feature is excellent as far as I'm concerned, My Sanyo mp4's, my mov files are ok with Intelligent SVRT.

In PiP Designer, new tools have been added allowing drawing and the creation of video overlay. In Preview and PiP Designer there is a "Free-Form" tool which allows editors to manipulate a video/corners to any that you want. Used in conjunction with Keyframes the free-Form tool is a excellent addition.

For still images I have been using the Crop-Tool to localise the shape and area I want to retain in my photos.

2D conversion to 3D takes a button selection. Anaglyph is only one selection, there is also SidebySide etc etc.

Yes, I'm familiar with PD10 and yes it is a new product and an improvement on PD9.

FYI, I believe FredB has PD10 and is using it.

Please use the Trial as it can sit on your PC with PD9. I have both full version on my computer.

If you want to give feedback to CyberLink then please do so using the link provided. http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Right, I have to edit another video with PD10. Thank you for reading my rant. Have a great weekend, it's been a while since I was in Kilmarnock/area.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2011 07:59

PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have to take issue regarding intelligent SVRT resolving the problem with 1080P footage from Panasonic.

Dafydd says:-
"Some improvements are non-fixable without a complete redraw of a module. For example SVRT in PD9 has specific issues for Panasonic users (not fixable in PD9), and Sony editors with 28mbps video (new camera models).
With Intelligent SVRT in PD10 the matter of using SVRT for these cameras has been resolved and the feature is excellent as far as I'm concerned."
End Quote.

This is not the case in my experience with PD10, it reacts exactly the same as PD9 with SVRT.
Intelligent SVRT only operates upto the end of the first clip whether there is a transition or not.
At this point it either freezes or occasionally goes snail paced to the end of the production.
Some improvement....

I am not prepared to enter into a corresponence with Cyberlink as I do not need the aggravation of none
specific reply instructions.
I have never experienced any other program that needs continual uninstalls and reinstalls.

Yes PD9/10 have some great features and can produce great results BUT they really are APITA at times.

PatC
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Pat,
I had a similar if not exactly the same experience. Please can you carry out the following - delete your Custom Profiles (in PD10 Intelligent SVRT) which might be using a carry over from PD9's profile settings.

Let me know on PD10 forum how you get on. I don't know what camera or extension your video are.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2011 11:12

Tomas G77
[Post New]
Hi Thank you Dafydd and Pat C for your input
I know what you are saying Dafydd,

regarding some P.C. Systems they are just not up to the proper standards and people still insist on using xp
which on its day was very good but it is time people moved on to better things ( my opinion )
I know it is all not down to Cyberlink,
I just feel that PD9 won't see an other patch but I stand to be corrected???????????
Cheers all
Tomthumb Thomas G
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for making excellent and interesting comments. Now the title of my post is very clear, but still I have a doubt: CL plans to continue releasing updates to PD9?

Regards,
Nicolas
NicolasNY
[Post New]
The basis of PD10 and PD9 is the same, but with 3D features. However, the concept is different. To make an analogy, it was like when Microsoft released Vista trying to force people to upgrade to Vista and leave XP or Server, which still works great today and of itself, Windows7 is XP with the concept of the failed Vista.

Apparently nobody wants to answer a simple question which I discuss in this post. Does Cyberlink will continue releasing patches / updates for PD9?

Will be PD10 like a Vista? I think many here are interested in knowing the answer before having to invest in the PD10 mandatory.

I've been using PD8 and PD9 CL for some time. I participated in the Beta testing of PD9 and what surprises me is the resemblance that has PD10 with Vista. Work for several years at Microsoft Latin America and saw the infighting between the philosophy of XP / Server and supporters of Vista. I have PD10 terror, as I had terror to Vista at the time, so it is important to know if PD9 will run its course or should we think about other alternatives.

Regards,
Nicolas

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2011 20:48

AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Nicolas in New York,

If you look at the history of Power Director updates over recent years at this link,

( http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html )

when a new version of Power Director is released, there are no further updates to the version it replaced. So, in a nutshell it would appear that there will be no more PD9 updates/patches. It would seem that Cyberlink will be focusing on PD10 exclusively...until PD11 rolls out.

-Allen
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Thanks Allen of Chicago,

I had already noticed that, but I needed someone else to confirm (sorry does not come from a moderator or CL). Now my question focuses on which is better: PD10 Upgrade to or buy the full package?. I think this question I will ask PD10 forum. Thank you again.

P.S. NY certainly is not New York, are the initials of my last name
[Post New]
Quote: FYI, I believe FredB has PD10 and is using it.

Dafydd is correct..I updated (CL made it a chargeable upgrade, but IMHO it should have been free).

The 3D functionality, new Intelligent SVRT (compared to the often "iffy" SVRT in PD9 that never worked correctly) and the better OpenCL support made it worth the investment to me. Many other changes (like animated keyframe and path stuff) are also nice...I am still getting used to it.

Quote: I organised the last PD9 beta test of over 50 members, many did not fulfil the role fully. I recorded all the reported issues during that time and I have done so with many of the PD9 reported issues (I passed them onto CybeLink as my Forum Moderator role). I have seen many issues fixed which were reported during both periods.

50 partially functioning, dedicated users testing a product, is much better than NO users testing a product...again, just my opinion. Only Dafydd can estimate the % of issues that he thinks were attended to, but many WERE!

For me, the bottom line is...I do not think PD9 to PD10 should have been a chargeable upgrade for PD9 users (at least for the last 6 months). If you are going to continue to use PowerDirector, I suggest that upgrading is necessary. I doubt that future PD9 patches are in the works...but I do not KNOW that.

What I did see in the Beta times, was that most of the reported issues (in PD10, too), were (and are) related to the hardware platform. Marginal environments and components (mid-range video cards, laptops (all not most), external storage devices or limited HDD space (or the low end SSD drives in general) and outdated drivers, will cause ISSUES with PD9 and PD10.

Hope this helps.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Nicholas,
Before I posted in this thread I asked the question to CL. Without further information, I cant post anything. AllenChicago is probably right, but I don't know.

TexasCityDave#1
Newbie Location: Southeast TX Joined: Aug 08, 2011 22:58 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I've enjoyed using PD9. Yes, I've had some issues, but most of them have been worked around and solved through trial and error.

I will purchase PD10 in the near future and will go in knowing there will be more issues.

If I had to pay $500-1000 for Cyberlink's editing software, I'd expect something almost foolproof. But software that costs equivalent to a couple tanks of gasoline (U.S.), I'll keep biting. WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
ASUS P8P67LE MB
Intel Ci7 2600K 3.40 Ghz
2X 8GB 1600Mhz Dual BL
2X EVGA GTX460 1GB SC
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
2X 1TB WD10000 SRTL Caviar Black
PD 9 Ultra 64
LG-12X Blu-Ray
Cameras: Canon 7D, Canon HF S21
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TexasCityDave,

You have completely missed the point, it is totally irrelevant how much the program costs, If the provider of software states that it can complete certain tasks, then you expect it to work as specified, if not that is a breach of contract between you and the provider. If I purchase a Ford it comes with a list of specified inclusions, all these inclusions work, I do not expect it to be as refined as say purchasing a Rolls Royce, but everything on the Ford works as it should.
I have PDR9, if I try to create anything other than simple projects, PDR9 will stall,lock or become totally unresponsive, yet my other 2 editing programs can create the same project without any such problems, so it is not an issue with my computer.
Many times when problems with PDR9 are encountered you are advised to reinstall the software, why should that be necessary? I have reinstalled PDR9 on numerous occasions because of lockups yet my other programs just complete their set task and it has not been necessary to reinstall at all.
There was no Beta testing of PDR10, so it contains most of the bugs that are issues with PDR9, some may have been addressed, but issues reported during Beta testing of PDR9 still remain.

In his previous post, Dafydd made the following statement

"If you want to give feedback to CyberLink then please do so using the link provided. http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do"

So, you are required to become an unpaid Beta tester, after the product has been released. CyberLink ignored many reported issues when there was a formal Beta testing program. How much notice are they going to take now.

Unless you require the 3D component, wait for the next version, PDR11, or it could even be PDR12, where the program is being rebuilt from the ground up. This is supposed to correct many issues currently experienced, it seems pointless releasing new versions based on an engine that just does not work correctly.

Robert

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 26. 2011 21:17

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
[Post New]
RobertJ/OZ;

Quote: There was no Beta testing of PDR10, so it contains most of the bugs that are issues with PDR9, some may have been addressed, but issues reported during Beta testing of PDR9 still remain.

Dafydd has made this statement (above)

If you re-read the post from Dafydd, you will see that this is NOT what he said.

He said things like:

Quote: I recorded all the reported issues during that time and I have done so with many of the PD9 reported issues (I passed them onto CybeLink as my Forum Moderator role).

Quote: I have seen many issues fixed which were reported during both periods.

Quote: The problems encountered by some who use PD9 are not necessarily encountered by others.

Quote: User and PC specific issues are hard to fix for any software. Some improvements are non-fixable without a complete redraw of a module.

Quote: With Intelligent SVRT in PD10 the matter of using SVRT for these cameras has been resolved and the feature is excellent as far as I'm concerned

Quote: Yes, I'm familiar with PD10 and yes it is a new product and an improvement on PD9.

It is easy for new users to be confused when trying to determine whether this product (and PD10) are being serviced properly, so I thought it important to clarify that you misquoted what was said/done, or may have misinterpreted them in your reading.

Only Cyberlink knows the extent of Alpha and Beta testing done on the new product line...I suggest you contact THEM!
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 26. 2011 20:31

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Fred,

Agreed that the first statement was incorrectly worded, have now edited that part.

Item 1. Agreed, that was his role
Item 2. Agreed, but many reported issues were not and have not been resolved
Item 3. No issue with that, Computers are very fickle things
Item 4. That's what I said, wait until the new version that has been completely rebuilt is available
Item 5. some users are still reporting issues with SRVT
Item 6. Dafydd would have to say that, after all he is the moderator

And yes Fred I have been in contact with CyberLink about these issues, a lot higher level than Technical Support

Robert

PDtoots
[Post New]
Wow Robert...you really are the MAN!..Congratulations on your high-level connection.

I hope you will come back here and share whatever solutions you are able to accomplish. We need whatever help you can give us.

Many of my reported issues in Windows 3.1.1 are still outstanding, but I learned to live with them.

If you are trying to say that it is the Crappy Cyberlink product that is uniquely problematic, spend a few minutes in the forums for the much more expensive products....bugs are PART of software...fixes are the answer....Cyberlink may not Communicate well (or in our particular chosen language)...but they ARE fixing the problems..lighten up!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2011 22:03

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Fred,

I have never said that CyberLink produce crappy software, in fact PDR9 is my preferred video editor, and I have and use many other CyberLink products.
What we all want is a stable product, that can be used without constantly falling over when completing large complex projects.
On that point CyberLink are in complete agreement and are working hard on providing a stable product.

Robert

PDtoots