Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3D review - first testing impressions
Wolfgang 1
Newbie Location: Austria/Vienna Joined: May 30, 2010 06:19 Messages: 49 Offline
[Post New]
We have now new 3D capabilites - and maybe my first testing impressions are also of interest here. Due to my personal passion for 3D, I have tested the PD10 on my 3D system (i7 2600K, 4.2 Ghz overclocked, 16 GB Ram, nvidia 3D vision (no pro), Quadro 2000D, ssd 128 GB, 6 TB raid 5). I have not done extensive testing now, given the fact that the software was launched at the beginning of the week, but I had the opportunity to discuss my finding with the Cyberlink team, what has a strong passion to improve the performance of their software - a point that is really cool.

I think the software is a great product for the beginner segment - who is looking for a software for a more professional requirements could tend to continue to use Vegas Pro 10e or the upcoming Vegas Pro 11. But for somebody who wants to have a sound solution for the beginning, will find a nice opportunity with PD10.

Yes, the software can import both MVC-Sony TD10 files but also MVC-JVC TD1 files. That is a great point given the fact that TD1 users are still looking for a good editing solution. You can work also with other 3D formates (e.g. side by side, top bottom). What does not work as far as I have seen up to now, is that you cannot import two video streams, one with the left and one with the right video stream. Vegas 11 is able to pair two streams, I have not seen that the PD10 can do so.

It would also be great if Cyberlink would foresee the capability to import an MVC-stream as rendered by another software, like Vegas. I had some questions about that - the MVC-stream from Vegas is splitted up in two (video) parts, and it would be great if the PD10 could reimport that footage for additional cutting, and muxe the two files together.

You can edit 3D also with an anaglyphic preview, both with one monitor but also with a second monitor. Preview quality is fine if you set it to high resolution, anaglyphic preview has the well-known limitations in colour. You can also use a 3D graphic card with a 3D HDTV - but that is something that I have not tested. It works also with the high end solution 120 Hz monitor and nvidia 3D vision and a Quadro (you do not need a Quadro for that product), but there is one major constrain compared with Vegas Pro 10e - you will only have a full-monitor preview as long as your GUI is on the 3D monitor. So what does not work is that you put the GUI on your 2D display, and use the 3D display for the preview picture. But what you can do is to switch between the full-monitor preview and the GUI, even if I think that this is a clear limitation for 3D editing. At least with my Quadro, when switching between full-monitor 3D preview and GUI I have seen some crashes. But it works also withou that - what I like is that you see a 3D preview picture with nvidia 3D vision also in the smaller internal preview, what is not possible with Vegas for example.

A major drawback are the limited possibilities to adjust settings, e.g. for rendering. For example, you have an MVC encoder what is great since that is only the second product beside Vegas that delivers that (except high-end broadcast solutions). But if you render to MVC, you have only the choice between 720p and 1080p - but you are not able to adjust here also the framerate but also not the data rate. For the framerate I had the impression that with PAL settings it would be 720 50p, and with NTSC settings it would be 720 60p. Wrong, as far as I have seen up to now it seems to be always 720 60p - what is fine for a lot of users especially here in the States, but not great for Users in Europe. That are the points were you see differences to a product like Vegas, what will give you more freedom in what you can do.

Another issue are the MVC-files - a project with nvidia 3D vision and MVC files results sometimes in something where you see short freezes in the software, even on my high-performance system. The Cyberlink guys have been able to repro that too and look into it - maybe it can be improved in the future. So when you have an older processor be aware that this may cause your system to fall asleepe sometimes, where you may not be sure if the system has crashed or not.

Where the PD10 is unique at the moment is the capability to burn true 3D Blu Rays, based on MVC and BDMV structures - and that with easy but with menus. Even the more professional Vegas renders 3D Blu Rays from the timeline only, with some markers only but without any menus up to now. That is something that is great for the users, because true 3D authoring is something that has been available only at $-0000 upwards up to now.

So yes, I think PD10 is a software that we can recommend. Futher improvements in the 3D capabilies would increase the impressive capabilities further!
Kind regards,
Wolfgang
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
And you don't see the price difference a balancing factor I don't assume here you are trolling to promote Vegas for some reason or the other.

David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2011 08:45

Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
Wolfgang 1
[Post New]
Sure the price is a balancing factor - and maybe you are right that from this point of view the comparison is not fair. But that is not the point. The point is that the PD10 is now also a good product for 3D, has become in some aspects better then Vegas, but for sure not in all aspects. I am sure we will see further improvements in the PD10 - and when that happens we will not have a good tool only, but a great tool. Kind regards,
Wolfgang
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]

Of course price is the point! it's the reason we all don't drive RR's or use $100k Hollywood production software.

So I really don't see the point of your so called 'first testing'

David Windows 7 X64 SP1
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
[Post New]
where would I be able to get anaglyph glasses besides online ? I am converting a video of mine into anaglyph 3D & would need the glasses. Are there any retailers like Best Buy or something that sell anaglyph glasses ? From what I understand they are very cheap, no more than $ 5 on average.
djmorgan
[Post New]
Try Google! I don't even know where you live.

David Windows 7 X64 SP1
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
Wolfgang 1
[Post New]
Quote:
So I really don't see the point of your so called 'first testing'

But what is your point? Simply to state that everything is fine, even if that is not true?

Cyberlink was happy about additional feedback and tests, that can be helpfull to improve the product. I was impressed how fast they have been able to reproduce some of the points and have seen their strong willingness to make the good product even better.

Sorry if that makes you upset.
Kind regards,
Wolfgang
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Wolfgang, you mention that you couldn't find a way to create 3D by matching two videos, where one video is the "left" and the other video is the "right."

It is possible to do 3D anaglyph by combining two matching "Left eye"/"Right eye" videos or photos.

1. Place the "Left" eye video on the first track and the "Right" eye video on the 2nd track.
2. Add the Color Balance effect to the video on track 1. Move the "green" and "blue" sliders all the way to the left.
3. Add the Color Balance effect to the video on track 2. Move the "red" slider all the way to the left.
4. Modify the video on track 2 in the PIP designer by setting the transparency to exactly 50 percent.
5. Now the hard part is moving the video around in the PIP designer so that the top of objects in the video are perfectly lined up with the same objects in the video on track 1; for example, line up the top of someone's head. You also need to move the video horizontally to the left or right (to the right works best me) to give the 3D depth.
6. Produce the video as a regular 2D video and then start a new workspace. Put that video on the timeline.
7. Adjust the brightness and contrast.
8. Finally, produce again as a regular 2D video.

I know there are other adjustments you could make for keystoning, but that would be tricky to do, and would have to involve distorting the perspectives.

Anyway, that's how you might do it in PowerDirector 10.
Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What does not work as far as I have seen up to now, is that you cannot import two video streams, one with the left and one with the right video stream.

I was under the impression from the description that this is possible, but the trial version doesn't import my GoPro video, so I will have to leave that to someone else to figure out.

EDIT: Oops! I see the post just before mine answered the question. I'll just go back the the PD9 forum now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2011 01:57

[Post New]
Xerox, thank you for the description. Unfortunately, this will deliver anaglyphic footage only, as far as I understand that. That is not what you are looking today, at least not for all purposes. It may be fine if you wish to publish that with youtube, but in the age of 3D Blu Ray players and 3D HDTVs what I really look for are MVC encoded 3D Blu rays - to maintain the full color spectrum. The funny thing is that the PD10 has all of that - including the capability to generate menus for 3D Blu Rays (what the more expensive Vegas Pro cannot do). The only point that seems to be missing is the capability to to pair two video streams from two camcorders. Without that you will not be able to encode MVC footage really.

But maybe I am missing something, and it can be done. Would like to know how. Kind regards,
Wolfgang
relaxman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2011 03:20 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, now it's only work when you render to 3840x1080 SBS avi uncompressed or something like huff.
But a one hour footage in this format is around 1-2TB. Somebody has experience if PD10 can handle this?
Wolfgang 1
[Post New]
Well, it must not be uncompressed, it can also be mp4/AVC. That can be handeled by PD10. BUT to render that, you need another NLE. I do that, since I use Vegas too. But it should not be necessary that you need another NLE. All what you need is the additional functionality - maybe in an update, maybe in PD11. Kind regards,
Wolfgang
relaxman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 19, 2011 03:20 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
In a lossy digital world, i don't want to recompress twice, when i have free terabytes..
An update would be very good for supporting dual files input.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2011 17:21

MotoRider420 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 00:12 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: "What does not work as far as I have seen up to now, is that you cannot import two video streams, one with the left and one with the right video stream."

THANK YOU! Finally someone understands this huge flaw in the 3D system. Have you been able to find any resolution? I tried compositing first into half-width side-by-side but the quality loss was too high.

Is Cyberlink planning on fixing this? Are there any workarounds (without spending more cash)?

I really don't want to have to ask for a refund... but, idk what else to do... I didn't buy two GoPros and the 3D hardware for no reason, lol.

THANKS!!!
MotoRider420 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 00:12 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: In a lossy digital world, i don't want to recompress twice, when i have free terabytes..
An update would be very good for supporting dual files input.

That makes at least three of us that agree that PD10 is missing the seperate left/right video file import option.

I really, really hope they get that fixed,... or at least allow us to composite it into a full-width side-by-side video, and then edit it...
[Post New]
Hello to everyone

I use PowerDirector 10 and I think my solution to the lack

Clips of W3 Fujifilm are accepted by PD10 but a little bug exists: at the end of each clip I always, when placed on the timeline, I have a freeze frame of 3 seconds occurs then shooting I still turn a few seconds.

I would like Left Right PD10 accepts separated (using two camcorders)

I would like to add module PD10 corrections: Rotation and auto
For the rest no problem. Long live PowerDirector

Humor: When is the 4K and 8K multiview to 11 views - I joke of course

I wish you beautiful France holiday season and thank you to volunteers who help us a lot.

cordially
Jacques
Google translation crowns

Bonjour à toutes et tous

J'utilise PowerDirector 10 et je trouve mes solutions au manques

Les clips du W3 Fujifilm sont acceptés par PD10 mais un petit bug existe : à la fin de chaque clip j'ai toujours, une fois placé sur la time line, j'ai un gel d'image de 3 secondes qui se produit alors à la prise de vue je continue à tourner quelques secondes de plus.

J'aimerais que PD10 accepte Gauche Droite séparé (utilisation de deux camescopes)

J'aimerais que PD10 rajoute aux module de corrections : Rotation et auto
Pour le reste pas de problème. Longue vie à PowerDirector

Humour: A quand le 4K et le 8K multiview à 11 points de vue - Je blague bien sur

Je vous souhaite de France de belles fêtes de fin d'année et merci aux bénévoles qui nous aide beaucoup.

Cordialement
Jacques
Escusez la traduction Google

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2011 08:23