Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 10 - very slow compared to version 9
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Randy,
I used Pinnacle Studio for many years and was always frustrated by its bugs, but I didn't want to pay for a high-priced editor like Vegas or Premiere. They finally solved most of the stability problems in Pinnacle v14. I started using PD at v7 and liked its stability and speed, but it was behind Pinnacle in features. I used both products for several years, and PD advanced much more rapidly than Pinnacle, with features such as 64bit, hardware acceleration, multiple timelines, and so on. Eventually PD9 became my main editor. Now that Pinnacle is owned by Avid, I notice that they are pushing Avid Studio, and so I expect Pinnacle Studio to eventually become dormant. I might pick up a copy of Avid just to see how it compares to PD, but on paper I think PD looks better. It's too bad that PD seems to have taken a step backward in the PD9 to PD10 transition. I hope they can resolve the performance problems quickly. Also, it would be neat if PD included a feature to convert Pinnacle projects to PD.

I havebeen using Ps for years. I have PS14. I got Avid Studio, earlier this year. Way too many bugs, and the 1.1 patch (only patch release all year) introduces many more, without resolving any. I can't even complete a wedding video project with it, so i have been using PS14 all year. Many unhappy people there. But that has lead me (for the fisrt time) on a search for a replacment.

PD seems to have a much better track record in at least trying to patch. I see that PD 9 had several. Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
PIvotDave [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Saint Louis, MO USA Joined: Jul 27, 2009 23:04 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Randy,
Thanks for the heads-up on Avid Studio. I won't waste any time on it. Despite the PD10 problems under discussion in this thread, I don't think you'll regret moving to PD10 from PS14. With a good video card, you'll see amazing speed when rendering MP4 productions. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
Intel Q6600 2.40GHz, 8GB Memory
NVidia GeForce GT430
Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 30, 2010 16:13 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
The same project.
First created in PowerDirector 9 - Time 55 minutes 46 seconds - Complete
The second time, created in PowerDirector 10 - time 57 minutes 57 seconds - 21 percent.
Estimation of the building project 3 hours 40 minutes.

Even someone wants to argue that PowerDirector 10 is faster? I'm sorry that I bought the upgrade, without trial. Well maybe the error will come and fix it. Since working with him very uncomfortable (speed).
[Thumb - PowerDirector 9 - 100 percent.JPG]
 Filename
PowerDirector 9 - 100 percent.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
171 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
408 time(s)
[Thumb - PowerDirector 10 - 21 percent.JPG]
 Filename
PowerDirector 10 - 21 percent.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
165 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
439 time(s)
[Thumb - PowerDirector 10 - 100 percent.JPG]
 Filename
PowerDirector 10 - 100 percent.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
163 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
379 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2011 17:18

Ales Ulrych
PIvotDave [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Saint Louis, MO USA Joined: Jul 27, 2009 23:04 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Ales,
This just keeps getting stranger. I haven't seen a huge difference in project build time between PD9 and PD10, just a general sluggishness in the PD10 user interface. Nonetheless, your test clearly shows a situation when the build time difference is substantial. I hope CL has a team hard at work trying to solve the problem(s).

BTW, PD10 does start much quicker than PD9. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
NVidia GeForce GT430
Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PivotDave,
"BTW, PD10 does start much quicker than PD9."

Yes, that's true. Start faster. Unfortunately, that's it.
Since approximately 40% of the processing itself faster. I even watched the first attempt with this project. So the total time will be shorter. Now I have to 73% at time 1 hour 23 minutes. PowerDirector 10 now runs longer without freezing (up to about 40% is always regularly for a few seconds like froze, but then again always ran.)

Ales
Ales Ulrych
vesper [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2011 12:28 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Have any of you with poor performance on PD10 removed the PD9 from your system to see if that helps?
From what I gather it used to be that you couldn't have another version installed along side a newer version.
They claim that with PD10 you can have a prior version installed alongside it, but maybe there are some loose ends with it.
PIvotDave [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did not explicitly remove PD9, but it looks like the PD10 installer removed it for me. It's not in the program menu any more, nor is it listed under Programs & Features in the Control Panel. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
NVidia GeForce GT430
vesper [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2011 12:28 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I did not explicitly remove PD9, but it looks like the PD10 installer removed it for me. It's not in the program menu any more, nor is it listed under Programs & Features in the Control Panel.

That is strange considering they have this posted: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12843&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

Edit: But then I found this which contradicts that above slightly or puts a twist on it:

How can I upgrade my version of CyberLink PowerDirector?

If you have CyberLink PowerDirector 8/9 version, you can purchase the PowerDirector 10 upgrade version.

Note: If you purchase CyberLink PowerDirector 10 upgrade version, you must first remove version 8/9 if you have it on your platform. If you want to have CyberLink PowerDirector 8/9 and 10 version installed (co-exist) at the same time, you will need to purchase PowerDirector 10 full version, and not the upgrade version.
[b]

that was found here: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12846

I use an uninstaller app (revo uninstaller - free on cnet) to remove stuff so I get all the junk out of my system then install the new app. I don't know if that is the issue though but I'm just throwing that out there. If it uninstalled your PD9 then maybe it overlaid some areas (remnants of PD9 still there) and there maybe a conflict of some sort.

Other idea might be to update your graphic card drivers to the latest; check your manufacturers site and see if there are any updates. I've had this happen using other software packages, new software will have issues sometimes with older drivers. Again, may not be it, but worth a shot.

Here is Cyberlinks comments on video card compatibility: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=12839&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

Good luck

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 19. 2011 22:50

Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
[Post New]
Super
problem with work slower than version 9 with version 1129 is finally solved! Ales Ulrych
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I just tried following this thread and gave up...I wish members wouldn't hi jack other members post...this was originally Ales Ulrych post....and 3 other jumped in...
The problem is when one jumps into a members post that no system is the same...so the members trying to answer don't have the Dxdiag file for all posters.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
dazzab [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 10, 2011 02:55 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Super
problem with work slower than version 9 with version 1129 is finally solved!

What was the answer? I'm having the same issue as the OP reported. Some times I have to wait up to a minute just for a menu to open. Used the same system with PD9 with no issues whatsoever. I really need to find out what's causing this as the software isn't useable like this.
Rod00000 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: London Joined: Dec 10, 2011 05:22 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I would like to know the cure too! What about PD 10 Ultra? I am going to upgrade!
Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed the latest patch v1129 and the problem disappeared. Now working as quickly as version 9 Tested on the project, which had previously been a problem. Ales Ulrych