Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 10 - very slow compared to version 9
Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 30, 2010 16:13 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I bought an upgrade to version 10 Ultra and I am still very dissatisfied with it. If I open the project was done in version 9, you import the clips is compared to the version 9 very slow. When switched to "create dvd" I have to wait approximately 1 minute before PowerDirector switches. Version 9 immediately. Converting the project (about 25 short stories in. Avi on a dvd) it took about 2 hours. Version 9 to 40 minutes.

AMD Phenom II X6 @ 4GHz
16 gigabytes of RAM
200 gigabytes of free disk space
VGA MSI Lighting 6970 2GB
Windows 7 64bit

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 14. 2011 01:23

Ales Ulrych
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Like so many things your problems could be caused by issues not related to the PD10 program at all.

If your problems were wide spread you would find many users complaining about the slowness you mention.

I personally find that PD10 is as as fast if not a bit faster in doing most things when it comes to rendering it is much faster than PD9.

As for loading media/clips audio setting transitions PIP etc no speed issues at all.

Normal recommendations would be to re-install program, before doing so ensure you have sufficient disk space and that you have defraged your drive, keep a watch on what resources you have running in the background, use task manager to look at your system loads when performing tasks.

PD10 is a good program not all users systems are ship shape however.

David Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
[Post New]
But I made ​​an upgrade from version 9 and version 9, I still installed, so I can compare. Both run on the same system drive has 200 gigabytes of free space, the system is Windows 7 x64, 16GB RAM, Phenom X6 4GHz. Ales Ulrych
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ales,

Ok, I am only using the trial version, can import a PDR9 .pds file (2.46Gb) in less than 30 seconds, switching to Create Disc mode took less than 20 seconds. So, as David has said, the problem would appear to be with your OS, not PDR10

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
I don't doubt you have a fast machine BUT the reality is that the problem you mention is NOT widespread therefore you have got to start looking at why you are having problems and other users are not.

Start by closing down some of the programs running in the background, look to see if you have some services that should not be running... I know by now your saying but PD9 runs fine, the issue is to get PD10 running fine.

We don't know what the new dll's Cyberlink has put into the new build or what new system and resource calls are made, all we do know is that the program is not working to your satisfaction on YOUR Computer, so you have to go through the process of testing

David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2011 01:52

Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi David,

ok I'll try to stop everything in the background, or install PowerDirector on another computer at home (there have only Windows7 32bit) and see how it will behave. Once I find something more, give info. PowerDirector 10 is new, so problems may only show the users.

Ales Ales Ulrych
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ales,

Just made a test DVD

Format AVCHD 1280x720p
Length 39min. 45 sec.
Size 4.467 Gb
Minimal transitions and effects
CPU Usage- did not exceed 30% at any time
Ram Usage- constant at 3.73 Gb
Cores used - Varied between 4 & 8
Burn Time - 20min. 41sec.

Quality when played back - excellent
Very impressed with speed and quality of finished DVD

Robert

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ales,

instead of puzzling whether your problems might be wide-spread or not- please provide an DXDIAG.File as asked in the "sticky threads" of this forum.
This is - from experience - not an attempt to spy out your equipment or eventually installed software, but simply gives sound and solid information about your 'environment' and enables the technically more knowing of us to REALLY help you (at least possibly)

Michael.
[Post New]
Ales_Ulrych;

EDIT: Sorry, wrong post..content changed.

Yes...please provide a DXDIAG for us, thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 14. 2011 10:45

Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Dxdiag ist here.

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
658 time(s)
Ales Ulrych
PIvotDave [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Saint Louis, MO USA Joined: Jul 27, 2009 23:04 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with Ales on poor performance of PD10 versus PD9. Been using PD for many years and recently did lots of editing with PD9. Installed PD10 upgrade on same machine, and performance is much slower. Simply moving the timeline cursor can take more than 10 seconds, whereas in PD9 the movement was instantaneous. When I double-click on a title, PD10 has a long delay before popping up the title editor. Same for other pop-ups, such as motion editor. Blaming the user for this change in performance seems misplaced, since all Ales and I did was install the PD10 on the same machine where we were previously using PD9. IMHO, this is a PD10 flaw, not a user error. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
Intel Q6600 2.40GHz, 8GB Memory
NVidia GeForce GT430
[Post New]
Experiencing much the same as PIvotDave. Still seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why. Only running the trial version of PD 10 on my end right now. Moving the time line and having pauses I seem to believe is related to PD displaying multiple pics for a given clip in the new version. When first loading a saved project, PD starts with my last clip and slowly breaks that clip into multiple pics for display on the timeline. Multiply that over several clips and load times can be somewhat slow. Now move the timeline bar and PD seems to pause while "regenerating" those pic clips. Have seen the occasional "program stopped responding" message too.

Still holding off purchasing for awhile.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've turned off the option for multiple plcs of a clip.
That IS a feature that costs a lot of time.
And - for me - this feature isn't essential (luckily you can turn it off!), as I have learned to identify my clips from the 'title frame' - but maybe with VERY long clips searching a certain scene will become easier.
Michael.
PIvotDave [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Saint Louis, MO USA Joined: Jul 27, 2009 23:04 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I disabled the multiple thumbnail feature, since that was (and still is) a notorious time-waster in Pinnacle Studio, which I used before PD. Pinnacle refers to it as "scene detection." Disabling it in PD10 improved timeline performance a little, but it's still slower than PD9. Pop-ups are slow in PD10 whether the thumbnail feature is on or off. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
NVidia GeForce GT430
[Post New]
Yes, disabling that did help with load times. Thanks for that tip as I didn't realize it was an option.

It did not, however, help with crashes. Got a "PD10.exe stopped responding" message today for no apparent reason.

The quest for stability continues...... This does look like the program I've been looking for given the editing I wish to do. Just hoping stability was better.

rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reports - I know that every user's experience is going to be different, but it's still not encouraging to hear about P910 being slower for some users.

PD9 has been very disappointing to me in terms of its speed - It hasn't lived up to its Super Speedy! hype - and my machine is anything but under-powered. I'm not inspired yet to upgrade--well, good heavens, I've only had PD9 for a short time. I need to keep working with it more before I can think of upgrading.

RB
Ales_Ulrych [Avatar]
[Post New]
This weekend I painted, so I did not have time for tests. As evidence I'll do the same two projects, one in PowerDirector 10 and one in PowerDirector 9 at the same PC. Then I will send screenshots with time. Already in creating a menu to burn a file to PowerDirector 10 behaves as if freeze, time stops for a minute again while running and then stops again. 6 core CPU utilization is about 25%.

Ales Ales Ulrych
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I disabled the multiple thumbnail feature, since that was (and still is) a notorious time-waster in Pinnacle Studio, which I used before PD. Pinnacle refers to it as "scene detection." Disabling it in PD10 improved timeline performance a little, but it's still slower than PD9. Pop-ups are slow in PD10 whether the thumbnail feature is on or off.

Dave,

I am also thinking of switching from Pinnacle Studio. What are your comments (positive and negative) on the switch from AS to PD? Feature and ourput quality comparrison?

Randy Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.
PIvotDave [Avatar]
[Post New]
Randy,
I used Pinnacle Studio for many years and was always frustrated by its bugs, but I didn't want to pay for a high-priced editor like Vegas or Premiere. They finally solved most of the stability problems in Pinnacle v14. I started using PD at v7 and liked its stability and speed, but it was behind Pinnacle in features. I used both products for several years, and PD advanced much more rapidly than Pinnacle, with features such as 64bit, hardware acceleration, multiple timelines, and so on. Eventually PD9 became my main editor. Now that Pinnacle is owned by Avid, I notice that they are pushing Avid Studio, and so I expect Pinnacle Studio to eventually become dormant. I might pick up a copy of Avid just to see how it compares to PD, but on paper I think PD looks better. It's too bad that PD seems to have taken a step backward in the PD9 to PD10 transition. I hope they can resolve the performance problems quickly. Also, it would be neat if PD included a feature to convert Pinnacle projects to PD. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
NVidia GeForce GT430
KentuckyRandy [Avatar]
Member Location: Kentucky USA Joined: Oct 27, 2010 09:39 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Randy,
I used Pinnacle Studio for many years and was always frustrated by its bugs, but I didn't want to pay for a high-priced editor like Vegas or Premiere. They finally solved most of the stability problems in Pinnacle v14. I started using PD at v7 and liked its stability and speed, but it was behind Pinnacle in features. I used both products for several years, and PD advanced much more rapidly than Pinnacle, with features such as 64bit, hardware acceleration, multiple timelines, and so on. Eventually PD9 became my main editor. Now that Pinnacle is owned by Avid, I notice that they are pushing Avid Studio, and so I expect Pinnacle Studio to eventually become dormant. I might pick up a copy of Avid just to see how it compares to PD, but on paper I think PD looks better. It's too bad that PD seems to have taken a step backward in the PD9 to PD10 transition. I hope they can resolve the performance problems quickly. Also, it would be neat if PD included a feature to convert Pinnacle projects to PD.

I havebeen using Ps for years. I have PS14. I got Avid Studio, earlier this year. Way too many bugs, and the 1.1 patch (only patch release all year) introduces many more, without resolving any. I can't even complete a wedding video project with it, so i have been using PS14 all year. Many unhappy people there. But that has lead me (for the fisrt time) on a search for a replacment.

PD seems to have a much better track record in at least trying to patch. I see that PD 9 had several. Self Built PC - W7 Pro 64 bit w/ SP1
ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 / AMD Black X4 3.2 / ATI 6850 1 gb /
8 gb DDR3-1600 / 1394 Firewire / LG SATA-2 Bluray Burner /
Internal Drives: SATA 3 7200rpm = 1.0-tb, 640 gb, 300 gb /
Pana TM90 / Canon HV30 / Sony HC 7 / Canon M40
Epson 810 DVD-CD printer.