Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3D Implementation Question
[Post New]
PowerDirector 10 claims to have the ability to convert 2D videos to 3D, which is something I would consider for future videos, as I do not yet own a 3D camcorder. My question is, if I go about doing this I presume that I would need 3D glasses ? And if that be, are there generic 3D glasses that retailers or online-retailers sell

I have before tried a 3D video on youtube without glasses, as the caption mentioned is possible if looking in a certain optical orientation - but that was unsuitable for me and uncomfortable.

I would also like to convert an existing video of mine to 3D - again, this would fall under the effort of 2D to 3D conversion.

Thoughts
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Anaglyph glasses are the cheapest around to buy and quite an acceptable format for YouTube I should think. PD10 can output to other 3D formats.

The Preview player has the option to view 2D footage in the various 3D options.

The process of conversion is incredibly easy.

How to convert 2D video and photo to 3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkgPhGkf1h8

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 12. 2011 15:08

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Just upgraded to PowerDirecor 10 Ultra and experimented with 3D creation on my system that supports 3D and it is quite good (altho' my footage wasn't that great to begin with the effect was there) I used the Red/cyan glasses that came with one of my graphic accelerators. I did not however produce the project, just previewed.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You need a 3D monitor, or TV, to get the effect, no? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I just have a LG 24" LCD hooked up on HDMI cable. My graphic card is a Geforce 560t 1MB mem and running Nvidia the latest drivers 280.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
You don't need a 3D television to view anaglyph with red/cyan glasses. You don't need a special 3D graphics card either for anaglyph. Anaglyph has been around for a long, long time -- maybe even before TV was invented. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Wolfgang 1
Newbie Location: Austria/Vienna Joined: May 30, 2010 06:19 Messages: 49 Offline
[Post New]
You could also use nvidia 3D vision - I have tested that with PD10 and it works. BUT only as long as you have the GUI of PD10 on the 3D 120 Hz display. So, what is not possible at the moment is to run the GUI of PD10 on one 2D monitor, and put the 3D output to a second 3D 120 Hz monitor with nvidia 3D vision.

I wish to point out that this is maybe only true for nvidia 3D vision (no pro) and 120 Hz displays. Maybe it works if you use a 3D HDTV connected with HDMI.

Yes, for sure you can use 2 monitors and use one as preview with the anaglyphic mode - what works fine. Even if I am not a friend of the anaglyphic mode, given the limitations in the perception of the colors. Kind regards,
Wolfgang
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
By the way, although each brand of TV uses proprietary 3D glasses (and they either give them away with the TV or charge and arm and a leg for them), there is a company that makes "universal" glasses.

I wish I remembered the name. Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
I'm still looking for the generic or universal 3D anaglyph glasses, which I am going to visit a few retailers for today to see if I can get a pair.

Also, I have been trying to produce one of my videos with the added 3D effect, but when I go to the produce section and click on the 3D tab, it tells me that there is no 3D content on my timeline and therefore nothing in 3D will be outputted. However, on the timeline I choose the 3D option and select "Anaglyph Red/Blue" option, which I presumed would be all that is needed to convert the video to 3D.

Clearly, I am missing something to get this done correctly. Is there a specific option that I would need to utilize to convert my 2D video to 3D ? Again, this is just for the generic 3D, which is the Anaglyph.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: You don't need a 3D television to view anaglyph with red/cyan glasses. You don't need a special 3D graphics card either for anaglyph. Anaglyph has been around for a long, long time -- maybe even before TV was invented.

Absolutely. Anaglyphs have been around as long as color printing. Jerry Schwartz
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: I'm still looking for the generic or universal 3D anaglyph glasses, which I am going to visit a few retailers for today to see if I can get a pair.

Also, I have been trying to produce one of my videos with the added 3D effect, but when I go to the produce section and click on the 3D tab, it tells me that there is no 3D content on my timeline and therefore nothing in 3D will be outputted. However, on the timeline I choose the 3D option and select "Anaglyph Red/Blue" option, which I presumed would be all that is needed to convert the video to 3D.

Clearly, I am missing something to get this done correctly. Is there a specific option that I would need to utilize to convert my 2D video to 3D ? Again, this is just for the generic 3D, which is the Anaglyph.

For the glasses, try a comic book store. You'll have to buy the comic, but I'll bet you can find one with the glasses bundled in.

As for the second issue, I went through this yesterday. It is very easy to overlook the first step.

Select your clip(s) and open the PowerTools. The top one converts 2D to 3D. Make sure that you move the setting off dead center, otherwise it thinks you don't want any 3D effect. Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
Yeah i just figured this out before reading your post actually. The default value in the middle is 128, so you're saying I should move it either <128 or >128 ? So maybe a safe try would be at the 200 mark ?
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: Yeah i just figured this out before reading your post actually. The default value in the middle is 128, so you're saying I should move it either <128 or >128 ? So maybe a safe try would be at the 200 mark ?

Right.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice. I don't even know what < 128 would give you. Jerry Schwartz
jasm [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Niagara Falls, Canada Joined: Oct 12, 2011 16:57 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm still looking for the generic or universal 3D anaglyph glasses, which I am going to visit a few retailers for today to see if I can get a pair.

Try a video rental store. Blockbuster used to sell them $1 for 2 pair

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 15. 2011 15:49

jerrys
[Post New]
Quote:

Try a video rental store. Blockbuster used to sell them $1 for 2 pair

Believe it or not, my most recent purchase of Norton NIS came with a little Captain America comic book and a pair of glasses Jerry Schwartz
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

for all of you that's occupied with 3D+tech, I found this blog with a review of PD10.
Might be of interest for some.

http://3dvision-blog.com/cyberlink-powerdirector-10-now-available-with-extensive-3d-support/
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
[Post New]
i bought a copy of Friday the 13th which came with a pair of 3D glasses. Anyhow I'm almost done touching up a video of mine & re-releasing it in 3D. I can post a link to it on here if you'd like when I have it up on youtube.
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I've bought several glasses from here: http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/3d-anaglyph-glasses.html .

The ProView glasses are nice and don't cost too much.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 20. 2011 15:27

Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
That's a dead link. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: That's a dead link.

Simply remove the period "." at the end of the link. http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/3d-anaglyph-glasses.html

Jeff