Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to create a Title Zoom IN + Glow + Fade Text Effect like this Hubble SM4 video?
anywhereanytime [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Silicon Valley, CA Joined: Oct 10, 2011 13:42 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]

I am new to PD 9 but have used video editors for some time. I read, very surprised, that PD does NOT have a simple text zoom - but seemingly everything else?

Any suggestions on "the best way" to re-create "the SECOND text effect" from this Hubble video - the "Black Chapter Clip"?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGFfq4gAwQw&feature=fvsr

PD 9 is AMAZING ...
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi anywhereanytime -

In PD, I'd imagine you'd need to use a series of different effects, applied to the text - either as actual text or a graphic. These could be combined with a glare or glow transition immediately after the word HUBBLE appears. Particle effects like 03_Flare would help create the movement.

Text properties:
1. title fades in from white (glare or glow transition)
2. words enter separately
3. text zooms in slowly
4. text glows
5. glare or glow transition after HUBBLE
6. whole title expands horizontally as video fades in behind
7. text fades out

Challenging, but probably (sort of) achievable.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. If you want your YouTube links to work as links, don't include the [youtube] bit
If you want to embed the video, just click on Youtube before & after after the link location

This video tutorial might help...

http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/0/LOSTXFTr1lk

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2011 16:21

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
anywhereanytime [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Silicon Valley, CA Joined: Oct 10, 2011 13:42 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks ynotfish ... believe it or not, I did search the forum and saw a long thread form July that you started about the lack of "Title Zoom" ... what did you figure is the best way around that?

Should I treat the "Chapter Title" as a graphical element and then apply effects to that - rather than use try to use the text titler?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Here's a recent thread where this was asked... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19349.page

Check out Cap'n Kevin's suggestion in that thread.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
anywhereanytime [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very nice ... I will try that today.
anywhereanytime [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Tony,

"Using your idea, Kevin, is great [size=9](unless you want the title to appear over something else)."

In this case I would produce my title track sequence seperately to a video file and then bring it back into the project and place it on a higher numbered Video Track and then place the "Zoom In" Effect directly on the produced Title Track. This way the title could Zoom In on top of a nother video clip.

Then I could also apply up to Seven total effects that I could individually control using key frames.

I think that would work pretty well.

I tried this but when I rendered out the "single line title, it comes in over black and NOT transparent ... I am sure this is pilot error on my part?

Suggestions?

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
You didn't miss anything...no pilot error on your part....

I tried this but when I rendered out the "single line title, it comes in over black and NOT transparent ... I am sure this is pilot error on my part?

Suggestions?

So if you create your title sequence with the Zoom effect and produce it to a video file, it will have a Black background as you observed. So if you place it on Track #2 and place a video clip on Track # 1....you won't be able to see your video clip underneath the Produced video Title clip....well....you know that already. : : :

Now select the produced Title Sequence and select MODIFY....now we are back to the Chroma Key........select (check off) Chroma Key....then select the Eye Dropper tool...a window will appear.....click on the Black background in this new window....you may need to adjust the Intensity slider a bit to keep the text sharp......c click OK in the PIP Designer Window......

You should now be able to see your Title Sequence Zooming In in front of your video clip.

Is this a work around??? It might be....this is how I know how to do it on Power Director and it might be easier with other editing programs, and it might be easier and have better final results....

Just thought I would jump in and clarify the step that I neglected to add to get rid of the Black background in the Title Sequence.

Post Edit:
So is this easier than creating an image with a Title with a transparent background and then importing the graphic? I suppose it depends on the user. Tony can bang out transparent background text graphics faster that I can stop a ferry at a dock on 60 Knot winds!!! So each method is up to the user in the end....and the quality that they are trying to achieve.

It's too bad the in the PIP Designer Window doesn't have the ability to select a "Transparent Background"....then it wouldn't be dependent on using the Chroma Key to eliminate it. My other Video Editor Program allows me to select a transparent background in the Text Track and also allows me to Zoom In among other things...oh well....it can't do everything!!!

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 10. 2011 20:30

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
anywhereanytime [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You didn't miss anything...no pilot error on your part....

Suggestions?

So if you create your title sequence with the Zoom effect and produce it to a video file, it will have a Black background as you observed. So if you place it on Track #2 and place a video clip on Track # 1....you won't be able to see your video clip underneath the Produced video Title clip....well....you know that already. : : :

Now select the produced Title Sequence and select MODIFY....now we are back to the Chroma Key........select (check off) Chroma Key....then select the Eye Dropper tool...a window will appear.....click on the Black background in this new window....you may need to adjust the Intensity slider a bit to keep the text sharp......c click OK in the PIP Designer Window......

You should now be able to see your Title Sequence Zooming In in front of your video clip.

Is this a work around??? It might be....this is how I know how to do it on Power Director and it might be easier with other editing programs, and it might be easier and have better final results....

Just thought I would jump in and clarify the step that I neglected to add to get rid of the Black background in the Title Sequence.

Post Edit:
So is this easier than creating an image with a Title with a transparent background and then importing the graphic? I suppose it depends on the user. Tony can bang out transparent background text graphics faster that I can stop a ferry at a dock on 60 Knot winds!!! So each method is up to the user in the end....and the quality that they are trying to achieve.

It's too bad the in the PIP Designer Window doesn't have the ability to select a "Transparent Background"....then it wouldn't be dependent on using the Chroma Key to eliminate it. My other Video Editor Program allows me to select a transparent background in the Text Track and also allows me to Zoom In among other things...oh well....it can't do everything!!!

Kevin

Thanks Cap'n Kevin ... that was the magic trick.

The only problem is that I am seeing "some artifacting" using black as the key. Most likely because I have a drop shadow.

I read that PD 10 is perhaps right around the corner and maybe has a fix for a simple Zoom IN title?

Thanks agian,

Scott
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Cap'n Kevin ... that was the magic trick.

The only problem is that I am seeing "some artifacting" using black as the key. Most likely because I have a drop shadow.

I read that PD 10 is perhaps right around the corner and maybe has a fix for a simple Zoom IN title?

Thanks agian,

Scott

That sounds like that is the problem....the drop shadow would be difficult to retain when Chroma Keying as you already found out with the artifacts remaining. Maybe PD10 will have the answer....lets hope.

This does give some reasons why other video editors in the forum use other video editing programs in tandem with Power Director to get the job done. Each program has its strengths...and when used together you can create the look of the video that you are trying to create.

Good Luck and have fun making those Wedding Vids!! It's a big responsibity, but they have lasting memories for the Happy Couple!

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
anywhereanytime [Avatar]
[Post New]
many thanks to both you and ynotfish for the quick response ... BTW, what was the other program?
anywhereanytime [Avatar]
[Post New]
WOW ... IS IT Christmas ALREADY ... PD 10 is officially launched.

I must ask ... does PD 10 solve my "Title Zoom In/Out" effect issue?

BTW ... ynotfish ... I somehow "missed" your absolutely phenominal YouTube video link about "Text Effects" ... BRAVO!

If you ever find the time, I as well as many others, might find it extremely valuable as to how you would use PD - now 10 - to "re-create" something as professional and polished as the NASA Hubble SM4 video - including Intro, Chapter dividers, lower thirds, etc.?

I am guessing that was Adobe AE or Apple's Effects app?

I'd BUY that type of tutorial - and I'd bet others would as well - now that PD has third party effects add-on functionality!

Scott