Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Files Not Loading
Weejock55 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 18, 2009 10:33 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using PD8 on my laptop for some time; low memory so slow but no problems otherwise. However, one day I went to load a project I'm working on and it loaded properly - except for the media files! The Timeline showed its various sections but there were no files to be seen there or in the Media Room. The one music file I was using loaded but none of the others. So, a video with no pictures! The message reads, for each file, "An error occurred trying to open this media file." Just previous to this I had upgraded to IE9 but I uninstalled it, just in case. Apparently PD has an issue with IE9. That was the only helpful comment I had from Cyberlink Helpdesk. I have been in contact with them numerous times but they have not been able to help. I hope someone out there can. Strangely, I can make a new project;I just can't load a current or completed one.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Go look for the original media files. You don't seem to have them on the hard drive with the rest of your project.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Weejock55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl, but how would they all have become detached from the projects in just a few days? It's all my completed or in-progress projects so for most of them the files have been deleted. If I did find them, I'd have to re-do the project from scratch, wouldn't I? Two things: on looking at the properties of the projects, they are all different sizes which would equate to the amount of files in each and, when I hover over any part of the Timeline, it shows the file names and length at that particular part! Anyway, many thanks for your input and if you have any more thoughts, I'd appreciate it
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Carl, but how would they all have become detached from the projects in just a few days? It's all my completed or in-progress projects so for most of them the files have been deleted. If I did find them, I'd have to re-do the project from scratch, wouldn't I?

No, you do not have to do the project from scratch.

Restore the missing files to the hard drive. Open the .PDS file that is the project file, when the window comes up to browse or cancel, choose browse, and navigate to where you stored the media file(s) on your hard drive.

PD will then load the file(s) into the project library and timeline.

The best way to store your projects is to Pack Project Materials from the File > Export menu.

That will copy all of the media files and the project file to the folder you specify. It will write all of the media that is in the timeline to the pack project folder. If you have other media in the libary, you can also copy that media to the Pack project folder.

Everything will be in one place.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Weejock55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That sounds great, Carl. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to sort it out. All going well I should be telling you that it's all been sorted out. Fingers crossed! Many thanks again.
Weejock55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I still don't know how the problem started in the first place but having followed your instructions, I now have my current project up and running again. You're a star!

However, each time I tried to save the project in a Pack Project folder, the program crashed so it's back in with the documents again. I'll save a copy to another HD to be on the safe side - I hope!

I'm happy again now! So's my wife!!
Carl312
[Post New]
Good you have something working.

If you can not pack project there is something wrong with your program, it should be removed and then re-installed.

The Pack Project is an important function in PD. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.