Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What video capture devices do you use?
Viajerozz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 09:12 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. New to this software and wondering, since I am having problems with my Dazzle DVC-100 video capture device, what devices do others use to transfer VHS videotapes from a VCR using RCA and S-video connections and any tips on value and quality? I wold like something inexpensive yet produces a good video, of course. I can't find much on Cyberlink's information about supported hardware. Thanks!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Viajerozz: Since forum rules prohibit "advertising" competitor products or products that could, in the future, be competitors, I won't mention the name of the device/software package in this forum that I have been using for almost a year without any glitches. If you want, you can send me a private message (PM) and I will tell you what I have been using.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The device that I use for most of my VHS tape to DVD transfer is a stand alone VCR/DVD recorder.

Record the VHS tape to a DVD, then copy the VOB files from the DVD to my hard drive, then import into PowerDirector for Editing.

Works every time and you have a DVD copy of your VHS tape.

I also have a TV capture card in my computer, I use the composite video and stereo audio input for VHS playback from a standard VCR machine. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies. Phil, I wasnt really asking about competitive softare, rather what hardware others are using with this software and what might be recommended. Carl, I am probably needing a USB device for now as I have a slimline PC case and limited to a low profile card..what card do you recommend? THanks!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Viajerozz: I don't use hardware with PD9 for VHS capture. I use a completely different software/hardware package that captures the VHS signal and converts it to .mpeg2 format. The package also includes some limited editing capabilities (very limited), so I then import the .mpeg2 files into PD9 and do my editing in PD9.

Carl has given you good advice. I didn't go that route, but it might be the best solution for you.

I never could get PD9 to work satisfactorily trying to capture VHS signal with it, so that is why I went with another package to get the files into .mpeg2 format. It might be just my usual problem - CTKIP (chair-to-keyboard interface problem); also known as: the problem is me, not PD9!

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Carl, I am probably needing a USB device for now as I have a slimline PC case and limited to a low profile card..what card do you recommend? THanks!

Search for:
Hauppauge USB-Live2: a USB based video capture device for your Windows PC.

My solution is a separate VHS/DVD recorder. It does not connect to the computer. It burns a DVD from the VHS tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_recorder
Jump to Standalone DVD recorders.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2011 11:22

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks much, I am not really interested at this point to burn DVDs but simply want to convert to useable files that can be posted online. Thanks for the tip!
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
VHS is an old analog format, to get good digitized (captured) clips, start with the best VHS machine you can get, perferably a JVC or some SONY that have a time based corrector built in, The individual scan line 320x240 for vhs have a timing cue which the time base corrector lines-up for the digitizer. Also encode (capture) at as high a resolution, so when you apply enhancements (sharpen, color correct, etc) the frame will have more pixel information to work with. With a little effort you can get some reasonable image out of old vhs tapes.

I have a ADVC-300 which has built in TBC and use a JVC (cant have enough stability), but those are pro/consumer machines. But i am working at recovery of 30 year tapes that can not be re-shot.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2011 16:37

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Viajerozz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info. How is Huntsville? I went to high school there lo these many years ago: I have a JVC VHS machine tho I have no idea if it has that TBC you mentioned. What capture device do you use ? Gracias
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
great weather right now, rain moving in from the west.

I have JVC DR-MV150 which does have one, many JVC models do, their web site might tell if your model does. The advc-300 is a capture device (current around $600 or so, has frame buffer style TBC built in) that captures to DV format 720x480 progressive.

I also have a AVERMEDIA MTV_HDDDVRR (which goes for around $100 at newegg) it also will take s-video in (does HD off HMDI also, a real bargin, has many formats it will record in)

I usually do NOT use PD9 for capture, Avermedia center and avs video recorder (free version) do fine job, then pop into PD9 for the creative expression. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU