Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDR 9 Trial Blu ray record problem
aleph [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2011 05:44 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
When making Blu ray disc with Power Director 9 trial record disc never starts.
Final window with progress bar tics to 90% or even 100% and then nothing happen, only elapsed time counts also PDR make 25% cpu load (4core CPU).
If I choose to cancel recording It warn that the disc will be broken (In fact no record to disc performed) and after cancel PDR stop responding.
If also selected option "output to folder" then after pressing cancel I can see blu ray folders in selected folder including normal m2ts file, before cancel folder is empty.

My system spec: Windows 7 x64, iCore 5, Radeon 48xx, Optiarc Blu ray recorder. PDR 9 version something like 2930 GM5 recently downloaded.

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
while i have full version, i just installed a new BD burner last night and burned a trial movie to generic BD disk. I had to assign a region to the new drive before i could write to the drive, even thou i had played a commercial BD to make sure the drive was installed right.

have you made sure windows has write permissions to drive, i had to redo those after install?

(edit: there was a little pop up window hidden behind PD, asking for region, which i found (second try) when i minimized rather than closed PD9)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 16. 2011 10:55

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
aleph [Avatar]
[Post New]
no I don't have any windows asking for region, I checked drive region was not selected, I set drive region with no luck -nothing changed.

what do you mean about permissions to drive ?
for temporary files permissions is ok.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I am not sure that the PowerDirector 9 trial can burn a BluRay disk.
I think that is one of the disabled functions.

Most of the HD functions in the trial are either broken or disabled.

The Cyberlink page of limitations of the trial has not been updated.

You search for problems associated with the PD9 trial, you will find a lot of functions that are disabled.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Bill90541 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 18:53 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have a new 64 bit machine with BluRay cutter & have successfully cut BluRay discs with the trial version before purchasing the full blown version...does take time though & I'm still trying to sort out a few other issues with the machine which I'll probably ask for help with very shortly
Bill90541 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 18:53 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just realised that I think I know what your problem is.
#
First click on the "create disc" tab- I think you must have done that already. Then click on the "Disc Preferences" tab & select "Blu-Ray Disc" from the options (VCD, DVD, BD, AVCHD). you should be OK then
aleph [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bill90541 of course I always select Blu ray on this page.
aleph [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312 maybe you right. Usually normal software company make some popup window saying about trial limitation. What I see from most popular Cyberlink product trial version they are not functional and full of bugs. I just don't know who going to by this one.
I've checked almost all popular video editing program and can make a working blu ray disc only with 2 or 3 of them, PDR9 not included.

aleph [Avatar]
[Post New]
I try create dvd disc instead of blu ray - problem just the same.
aleph [Avatar]
[Post New]
Even producing a video file also does not stop. I think there is a problem with encoder.
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I posted a long offering describing using diagnostic booting, goodness knows where it is...

anyway, if you start from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-System-Configuration you can get the info for yourself. It may seem complicated, but what you want to do is start your system with no resident programs or dlls, which will include codecs, which are oftent the root cause of the problem. Assuming PD works with nothing resident (apart from what it asks for on starting the program, which is OK to do) then you progressively add back all the resident services and dlls.

It really is strikingly simple, yet everyone is put off by the amount of words involved in describing the procedure. I think it mentions creating a restore point first in case you make a balls-up. Open up the diagnostic bit at the bottom of the page.

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
aleph

SeptimusFry is offering very good advice. If you are trying various video editing software packages (a guess), it is possible that one of those other programs is interferring. Not all children play well together in the park. Some programs run background tasks at startup which grab critical resources just in case they "might" need them. If you can get PD9 to run (work completely) with no other programs, then you will know it will work ... you just have to find out what kids are not playing by the rules. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
aleph [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've removed some videos from the end and this allow me to render file and also record Blu ray disc. So suggestions about PDR9 conflict with other software make no sence. Also problem is not with recording but with producing/encoding video.
The fact that PDR hangs on some parts of video without a message make me think I won't succeed in processing my video using this very software.

P.S. I don't have much time to buy buggy software and waste my time contacting support.
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Hey, you sound like a common-sense, decent fellow. Why not use your brains and powers of deduction. Do you really think we forum-users are all paid by Cyberlink to promote their 'buggy' products? (I wish!)

No, the reality is that you have a very powerful set of tools in your hands and it is all too easy to be the one making an error. I know that I blamed the software for loads of things that went wrong, and I was not prepared to accept 'work-rounds'. Gradually my technique and knowledge has improved - but not a lot by the standards of some folk here - and now I can more or less all the time do things straightforwardlly. Now, when I have a problem, my first assumption is that it is me, and it is a question of finding out what is the right way to do what I want.

PD is a bit like the difference between a simple four-function calculator and an HP reverse-Polish 120 function calculator. It was damned hard to do simple things on the HP.

Anyway, if you do decide to ditch PD and find something better, no matter the price, please let me know by PM. I have tried the competition and been disappointed - and it is not a question of my purse, that is long enough - it is truly that all complex software like this needs to be handled carefully and that goes for any alternatives.

IMHO, of course

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
aleph [Avatar]
[Post New]
SeptimusFry I'm sure most users here must be simple regular users. It's very good to see CL has a working tech support forum where users can
help each other. I think using such a software must be simple and pleasant so I can use all my creativity to make a good looking movie and totally not an investigation how to avoid unpredictable bugs. CL PDR is simple but unfortunatelly it is unable to produce a result for me.

p.s. I already spent many hours of my life investigating bugs and "how to make it work" in different software (I have to use) as a user. And what is funny most developers don't care about bugs.
aleph [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow I've played Blu ray on a standalone player and this is something:
1st time menu played as it is on a template
2nd time menu played showing my video why should I see 1st menu ??
Video played from Blu Ray disk all choppy, like I see it with a render preview turned on at speed higher than 1x.
And m2ts files played well on my computer.

Well this is definitely not what I expect from a video editing/authoring program. May be about 5 version later CL will be able to make a proper video editing program, but not this time.

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Just one thing I remember from some time back is NOT to try to get PD to actually record the disc directly. No matter what you say about not competing with other software, I still have suspicions there. I always record to a DVD/BR folder and then do the disc recording with another software. For maximum compatibility, I happen to use Power2Go and have dumped my Nero and Pinnacle disc recorders.

Going back to my suspicions, you could at least try the following, as it costs so little time...

• Create a restore point.

• Run msconfig and 'disable all' in startup tab

• Run PD (NOT burning directly to disk please) and if it wants to install something, let it do so

• This will let PD run with NO interference. If it is OK, then you have some interference, if not, you have lost 5 mins of your life.

After that, you will want to use the restore point to get back to where you were. If you find PD did run OK, and want some further assistance to isolate what stops it running properly, then please PM me, or ask here.

aleph [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    SeptimusFry, Rocket-Scientist

Just to make it clear to me I spent another hours of my life to useless thing: I've made a clean OS install (Windwos 7 x86) on same hardware including patches from windows update and drivers.
    Installed PDR9 32bit this time I believe and what I see:
    hardware acceleration (which is impossible to turn off in x64) disabled - ok don't care
    I open same project with same files on same path and now instead of endless loop I got an error you can see it on attached screenshot.

Well I think if CL plan to sell their software to someone they should totally fire all PDR 9 (including PDVD) developers and testers.

All the time I spent on CL PDR 9, including this forum is worth making 3 or more movies in normal software. And all the words I can say to CL are unprintable. It's not a software it's buggy piece of *(^*()^)*. If you don't have anything else to do in your life you should install CL software and try to make it work.
    [Thumb - pdr.PNG]
     Filename
    pdr.PNG
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    342 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    158 time(s)
    Carl312
    Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
    [Post New]
    aleph ,
    What happens if you uncheck the Burn to Disk and leave the Burn to folder only.
    I see Burn Disk is checked in your picture.

That error is fairly common and has to do with the actual burning of the disk.

If you do not burn a disk within Powerdirector, there is a better than average chance you will not get that error.

Try creating a Disk Folder only. Before you condemn PD.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Rocket-Scientist
    [Post New]
    ALEPH,
    I went back and looked at all of your posts and the dxdiag you originally posted in april does not match your machine described at start of this post. (which is fine if you updated your equipment, we all do that...) but just how much upgrading did you do? you did not say what your current memory size is (which can be a significant cause of problems, PD9 needs at least 6GB in 64bit mode, 4gb in 32 bit mode). The dvd writer in your original dxdiag is not blueray capable, so i am assuming again that you upgraded. What caught my eye was the CLONE DVD (Virtual) in your dxdiag ... THAT has been known to mess up the burning process big time in PD9.

Other comment I noted was that you were able to successfully burn something once you removed certain clips. You did not say what those clips were, in fact you never said exactly what source material you were working with. PD9 will not burn copyrighted material, I am not saying is was (I have had PD9 claim my kids soccer video was copyrighted ... had to re-encode outside PD, some weird setting on camcorder made PD9 think it was commercial material)

I sense you are frustrated, but the forum members here are all trying to help, with no other reason than hoping others can enjoy editing like they do.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2011 17:57

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
    PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
    WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
    ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU