Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ALL transitions (fade) reproduced the wrong way round !!!
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
A catastrophy!
After having finished editing (for today) on a 14 minute project, where I quite often use the fade-in/out transition (transition default type is chosen overlap), I re-opened the project to present todays afternoon work result to my wife - and all the transitions are reproduced the wrong way round!
How that?!
How to repair?!
PD9 build is 2930.

Michael, perplexed....
 Filename
clip0002.rar
[Disk]
 Description
Screeshot video with U-turned transitions
 Filesize
45624 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
412 time(s)
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike,

I am curious to see what happened, but 45+ mb would take a very time to download! Could you attach a short clip?

Thanks Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike -

all the transitions are reproduced the wrong way round!

I downloaded your clip & the transitions LOOK to be doing what they're supposed to. It's very possible that I'm missing something glaringly obvious!

You've applied prefix & postfix transitions, which means that each clip fades to & from black.

How did you WANT it to look?

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony, thanks for D/L the clip, but give it a second look!
The transitions ARE supposed to fade from image to black to next image. That's right.
But you will see the following:
The attached video starts in the middle of a scene. So you see the image.
Then a sudden switch to black and in the next 2 seconds the image fades IN again.
When the image is fully coloured again, my track cuts to the next scene (without ANY black between!)
Showing a fade OUT instead of a fade IN.
So:
What I wanted (and had until the last save) is: scene - fade OUT to black - next scene - fade IN from black - scene - and so on.
But I got: scene fade IN from black - next scene - fade OUT to black - scene.
It looks weird - check the position of the timeline indicator and what happens in the preview window!

@ Pax 123: I've re-done the AVI file, but less than 6megs aren't feasible to see, what happens.

@all: curious enough, when opening the project today morning, everything is all right again.

Michael (baffled)
 Filename
Produce.mpg
[Disk]
 Description
U-turned transitions to prove, I was not stoned ;o)
 Filesize
7612 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
421 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It's very possible that I'm missing something glaringly obvious!

Thanks for the explanation Mike. I'm as thick as two planks sometimes!

When I saw the sudden switch to black, I thought it may have just been the way your GPU was displaying it in preview.

I'm as baffled as you about what it is that put it right after re-opening the project. Do you think it might be GPU related? Then again, I know PD9's transitions have been an issue since Beta testing.

Sorry Mike - I promise I'll look more carefully next time (or just wait till someone with working eyes comes along).

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the update in your last post.
If the issue reappears then please post again. It appears to be a pds opening issue, a misinterpretation of the information. Make sure you save a new file each time (which I suspect you do). I have been editing pds' recently and not always successfully, they're really pinnickity files now-a-days.

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike,

I’ve had the exact same same thing happen to me, in earlier builds of PD9.
This is why, when it's just a fade transition (to black) I'm after, I use the FadeIn/Out option in PIP Designer for each bit of Split media, in lieu of the Overlap Type of transition in the Transition room. (My Preferences are set to the Cross Type)

Another workaround, if multiple tracks are in play, is to simply drag a black color board (into a higher numbered track), that spans the Splits. Then set the color board’s duration to be the same duration as the total duration that the Postfix and Prefix fade transitions would be. Now open the black color board in PIP Designer and put a check mark in the Fade In/Out boxes. Then adjust the key frames to get the desired duration of being "in the black" between the fades.
This way you get a fade to and out of black of all the tracks, in one fell swoop.

But yes, your particular issue (Overlap Type reverse transition behaviour), was reported way back a year ago, during beta testing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2011 05:53

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just been through the beta spreadsheet (skimmed through the issues and fuller details) and I saw quite a few fade issues relating to different aspects of functioning and visual presentation but not any with the exact same issue described by Mike.

Sorry if I didn't pick it up at the time.

Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the help with the file size. Now, I have finally seen this anomaly in action! Seeing the heavy hitters who have opted in on this thread, you certainly do not need any help from me. I am glad the problem resolved itself for you.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
Nathan H [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2011 21:00 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Just a small voice to say i have seen this behaviour too.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, found it in my current spreadsheets (couldn't see it in the beta). The bug was reported, I have down JL_JL doing a secondary report on the issue on the 2011-11-20. No other url to it on the forum but it is here somewhere.

Please retest with 3305. I have the issue reported as being fixed.

Dafydd
ref 111

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 16. 2011 09:05

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hard to "retest" - though I still have the original PDS file, where it happened, no matter how often I re-opened it since the 'day after', the transitions work the correct way round - each and every time.
I think, we/I can only do a wait for whether it happens again.....

Michael.

P.S.: somehow odd, that exactly THIS topic should have been fixed in a patch, released only 2 days after my report - I have not found a clue of this problem in the official forum (is the beta forum still accessible publicly?).
Honi soit qui mal y pense...

Michael.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hard to "retest" - though I still have the original PDS file, where it happened, no matter how often I re-opened it since the 'day after', the transitions work the correct way round - each and every time.
I think, we/I can only do a wait for whether it happens again.....

Michael.

P.S.: somehow odd, that exactly THIS topic should have been fixed in a patch, released only 2 days after my report - I have not found a clue of this problem in the official forum (is the beta forum still accessible publicly?).
Honi soit qui mal y pense...

Michael.

Hi Mike,
I think it was coincidental (patch and your reported issue).

confundido [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2015 10:42 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I know this is an ancient thread but this is happening with me. PowerDirector 13.0.3516.0.

I have video on two different tracks. I put a fade on one and a fade on the other. They overlap by approximately the time of the fade. I was hoping for a crossfade effect but instead I get some odd looking stuff with #1 disappearing and fading back in, while #2 pops in, disappears, and then reappears.

Tips?

Dennis
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have video on two different tracks. I put a fade on one and a fade on the other. They overlap by approximately the time of the fade. I was hoping for a crossfade effect but instead I get some odd looking stuff with #1 disappearing and fading back in, while #2 pops in, disappears, and then reappears.

Tips?

Dennis

Change the fade transition type from cross to overlay.
confundido [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2015 10:42 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I never found where to change the transition from fade to overlay.

I did figure out that if I close the project and re-open, poof, things are happy. And rendering seemed OK. Just seemed like preview was confused.

Thanks,

confundido
rytis2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 21, 2015 23:33 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
I had this problem with transitions going backwards forever. it seemed to have been fixed at one point in PWD11, but it's happening again in 13. I just try to use fades
Quote A catastrophy!
After having finished editing (for today) on a 14 minute project, where I quite often use the fade-in/out transition (transition default type is chosen overlap), I re-opened the project to present todays afternoon work result to my wife - and all the transitions are reproduced the wrong way round!
How that?!
How to repair?!
PD9 build is 2930.

Michael, perplexed....