Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burning a large video
mervyn cadman [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Essex UK Joined: Jul 16, 2011 02:53 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all really hope you can advise, I have just edited my footage for my dvd I have got this down to 4 half hours but still got to do some voice overs as yet, now I think that the finished dvd will have to done on a double set disk one and disk two I want to keep the quality and not use smart fit because that just looks very messy as I found out on a test, if I buy 8.5gb duel layer dvds will I be able to fit the 4.5 hours on the two disks. Any advice would be great

I’m using PD9

I need to the quality it was filmed in 16.9 and pay format

I rendered the project mpeg-2 DVD HQ

Kind regards Mervyn
[Post New]
The PD9 has only one quality option for DVD-Video (DVD HQ)
With this, it is only 1 hour, DVD 4.7, or 8.5 Gb DVD 2 hours
I usually save to MPEG2 files, then mount the DVD in another program.

Description of quality options for DVD, PD9

DVD HQ - 1 hour
Width 720
Height 480
Bitrate 8000 ~ 8300 kbs. (CVBR)
Frame Type Top Fiel first

audio 256 kbs.

DVD SP - 2 hours
Width 352
Height 480
Bitrate 3400 ~ 6800 kbs. (CVBR)
Frame Type Top Fiel first

audio 256 kbs.

DVD SP - 4 hours (quality similar to VCD)
Width 352
Height 240
Bitrate 1750 ~ 3500 kbs. (CVBR)
Frame Type Progressive disabled
audio 256 kbs.

DVD Smart Fit
quality depends on the time

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 10:28

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
mervyn cadman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi many thanks for a quick reply, so I should be able to burn 14- to 15 hours on to two dvds without any lose of qualtity by not using the smart fit.
so another quick question then by using the DVD-HQ in PD9 will all dvds that I burn play on any dvd player (+) and ( formats , or is it better just to buy both + and - dvds disks just to make sure.

Regards Mervyn
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
so another quick question then by using the DVD-HQ in PD9 will all dvds that I burn play on any dvd player (+) and ( formats , or is it better just to buy both + and - dvds disks just to make sure.

Most modern DVD Players will play both single layer (4.7 GB) and Double Layer (8.5 GB) DVDs.

If you want to invest into a BluRay player, you can play every current disk format out there.

It is a good idea to have both single layer and double layer disks on hand, so that you can fit the disk to the size of the Video.

Single layer disks cost less than double layer disks.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Blu-Ray is a good option to burn many DVDs on one disc.
Blu-ray, At the option of MPEG2, 720x480 SD is super fast, does rederização, if the original video is compatible AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi many thanks for a quick reply, so I should be able to burn 14- to 15 hours on to two dvds without any lose of qualtity by not using the smart fit.

Mervyn,

I am a little concerned about the above part of your last post.

Did you actually mean 14 to 15 hours on two DVDs or was that a typo?

DVD single layer will hold about 1 hour of video. DVD dual layer about 2 hours. Trying to fit any more than that, you will loose quality very quickly.

Hal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 11:07

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
mervyn cadman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys, Hal it was a typo the total edited length of my my dvd is 4hrs.30 minutes = 14.5gb.
My plans are to have to the full length dvd but will be in on two disks = 2x 8.5gb which I yet have to buy so I'm thinking that 17gb in total should be enough to fit my 4hrs .30minutes (14.5gb) on to these two 8.5 disks please tell me that I will be able to achieve this and not compromise the quality,
My plans are to sell the finished dvds as they are tutorial dvds to do with my craft of pen making so you can understand that these have to be right for the customer.

Now that I know that I must have the duel layer 8.5gb disks will they be copied onto in the same way as a 4.7gb disk as I was told today by PCWorld that I would have to copy in both formats + & - disks.
Sorry for all the questions but im at that stage now where the footage has been saved and then needs to be burned onto a dvd ready for sale.

My kindest regards

Mervyn
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Not sure if this is going to be of benefit or not ( I haven't used PD9 to write to disk much). when burning a double layer disk the 'Burn program' burns some files t 'Layer 1' then I guess marks the spot and burns the rest to 'layer2' and I assume when finalizing the DVD marks where layers change. A single layer DVD you only have one layer to worry about.
You may have to do some ahead of time planning on your project to achieve what you want.
Hope this helps.
Maybe some one more knowledgeable will jump in and clarify how double layers actually work and help us both.
Jim

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 14:16

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
James1 described what happens when burning a double layer disk in the burner.

On playback the two layers are invisible, A DVD player plays the disk with no jumps, or pauses. It just plays for two hours.

As to making multiple copies of Double layer disks:

If you burn a Folder in Powerdirector and uncheck burn disk, you can use disk authoring software to burn as many disks from that folder as you wish.

Double Layer Disks can be copied with the right software and burner equipment.
Nero Burning Rom has the ability to copy DVDs. Both single layer and double layer.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

mervyn cadman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi many thanks once again,

I have Nero 10 multimedia full package too, so i can do all my burning through Nero even though I have done all the editing, menus, chapters, and so on in Power director 9?.

In Nero 10 the is a little bit of software called Nero burning rom and Nero express plus many others - is it one of these two I use for burning?.

so the best way then to do this is first in PD9 is to burn to a folder and then use nero to point to the folder and then choose the relevant files to burn?.

Sorry again if I’m not making much sense only I’m very new to this and not that sure of the full procedure.

Many thanks to all of you for trying to help me.

Mervyn

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 12. 2011 04:12

Carl312
[Post New]
so i can do all my burning through Nero even though I have done all the editing, menus, chapters, and so on in Power director 9?.

Yes.

so the best way then to do this is first in PD9 is to burn to a folder and then use nero to point to the folder and then choose the relevant files to burn?.

That is it in summary.

The details are:
1. Burn a Folder only in PD9.
2. If successful, close PD9
3. Open Nero Burning Rom. (Express is a shorter version of Burning Rom, Express is for Dummies.)

For BluRay: (I have Nero 9)
4. Choose your disk format, if BluRay disk choose Bluray in the Nero compilation drop-down.
5. If BluRay use the BluRay (UDF) in Nero 9, if Nero 10 I think there may be a BluRay Video choice.
5a. Click New Button.
6. Navigate to the PD9 created My Video Folder in the Nero File browser.
7. Drag the two folders to the Nero Compilation. Folders are BDMV and CERTIFICATE.
8. Click Burn on the task bar at the top of window.
9. You can label the disk on the Label tab.
10. Burn tab, click Burn.

Note: CERTIFICATE is usually empty, but neccesary to be on the Disk.

For DVD:
4. Choose your disk format, if DVD disk choose DVD in the Nero compilation drop-down.
5. Use DVD Video.
5a. Click the New button.
6. Navigate to the PD9 created My Video Folder in the Nero File browser.
7. open the VIDEO_TS folder, drag the contents to Nero Compilation (VIDEO_TS folder)
8. Click Burn on the task bar at the top of window.
9. You can label the disk on the Label tab.
10. Burn tab, click Burn.

Once the compilation is set, you can burn multiple disks if you set the number of copies (on Burn Tab) before you start burning. Default is 1.
Nero will then ask for a new disk at the end of each disk burn.

mervyn cadman [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don’t think I'm able to burn to a folder I have a message say the size of the imported file exceeds exceeds the amount of available disk space.

What on earth that means I don't know as I have a month old system with 1tb HDRIVE and 1tb external HDRIVE.

I'm going through the process of burning and the option is final output create a folder is ticked - is this the right way or am I missing something, My question now is why do I have to burn the dvd through nero and why not through Powerdirector - sorry guys very confused I have my 8.5gb DL disks ready but still no closer to getting it onto a dvd.

I know my dvd is a large file 15gb but hey I have 800gb left on my hardive, dont make sense.

Mervyn
[Post New]
Mervyn Cadman
Eu não acho que eu sou capaz de gravar em uma pasta eu tenho

The space where the shortfall relates to the DVD disc.
Even saving your video in a folder (VIDEO_TS) in HD, it should be the size of the DVD, 4.7 or 8.5 Gb, which you selected.
the Video-ts folder is the DVD-video. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
Carl312
[Post New]
PlayVideo is correct, that message is referring to the Disk Folder size.
In Disk Preferences (Create Disk Module) DVD, drop-down, select 8.5 GB.

Try the Burn folder again.

This is the reason I always recommend using the DVD 8.5 GB selection. You can burn a folder nearly always. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

mervyn cadman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi I have tried that setting I change the setting to 8.5

sames message again, imported file exceeds exceeds the amount of available disk space.

it also say at the point of trying to burn

available space 807.9gb
required space 16257MB

Carl312
[Post New]
Hi I have tried that setting I change the setting to 8.5

sames message again, imported file exceeds exceeds the amount of available disk space.

it also say at the point of trying to burn

If the size of the content is too large, for 8.5 GB Disk, your video is just too big.
You can maybe split the video in half.

Or produce it to MPEG-2 HQ, and see how large the produced video is.
If the produced MPEG-2 HQ video will fit on the disk, then use that produced MPEG2 instead of the HD video which is too big.

The other alternative is to burn a BluRay disk. BluRay will only play in a BluRay player.

See picture.

[Thumb - CreateDisk_8.5_note.jpg]
 Filename
CreateDisk_8.5_note.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Content of disk estimate. If video will not fit, no go.
 Filesize
110 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
218 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2011 09:30

mervyn cadman [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks for all your help guys, looks like I will have to spit the footage in two, I was trying to avoid it be never mind.

I appreciate all your help guys.

Mervyn
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
hi,
this may not be a good solution but Blu ray disk hold 25GB for single sided ones and 50GB for Double layer ones, but require a PS3 or blu ray player to play.
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2011 12:42

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If the size of the content is too large, for 8.5 GB Disk, your video is just too big.

Not necessary true. I routinely create DVD Video Folders that are larger than what fits on a DL DVD disc, namely 8152MB (7.96GB). The key here is that the DVD video structure with VOB files only allows for 9 VOB's maximum each of 1024MB. Therefore one must always stay within that constraint at all times. The burn process in PD9 can be a two part process if “Burn to disc” and “Create a folder” are used. This will produce the warning note shown in the pic Large_Disk_1. Doing this, PD9 will finish the “Create a folder” phase and then error on the “Burn to disc” phase. I simply use a spare dvd+rw 4.7GB disc so I waste no discs as it errors anyhow. The error msg will depend on media being used. What one has after the failed burn is a valid DVD Folder.

As you can see, my 9th VOB block is almost full, I could add a little more to the timeline. I can then use a third party tool to burn the folder to a DL DVD disc which offers much better compression algorithms compared to PD “smart fit” to take this 8.73GB DVD Folder and compress to 8000MB (7.81GB) which several burn utilities use as a safe size to fit on a DVD DL disc.

Why all the hassle, I guess some just like the extra length! The approach can add a fair amount of video time to the timeline with little loss in quality; I have one application that it works great for as I need a DVD HQ with ~140min in the timeline.

I thought I'd just add the above detail for completeness for someone searching in the future, it offers little help to the problem at hand as it's way too large for DVD.

Jeff

[Thumb - Large_Disk_2.png]
 Filename
Large_Disk_2.png
[Disk]
 Description
Final Disc size
 Filesize
605 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
214 time(s)
[Thumb - Large_Disk_1.png]