Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Ultra 8 (& 7) won't play the Star Wars blu-rays (UK)
millerz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 05:07 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
OK so I've tried that anydvd trial and can confirm that it solves the problem. Blu rays run perfectly so it's definitely a software issue which need to be resolved.

They've said they will be releasing a fix for powerdvd 10 & 11 but what about those of us using older versions? Are we basically being told that we'll need to pay for another version of the software to get these films working?
DomDomBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 16:46 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I jsut had a reply from a long message I sent explaing the problem and that other people are having the same issues and they should do a patch

my reply was just a cut and paste of the message he sent me last time

I am not happy
caseking123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 23:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
BUMP, BUMP, BUMP. We should not have to pay for version 11 when version 8 ultra was advertised as having blu ray support. You know that it is your responsibility to take care of you PAYING customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm giving up on power dvd now, I've used it for years, had some problems with HD DVD which they said they would sort, but never did (back when people still had HD DVD) and now this

I'm going out tommrow to buy a ps3........I'm going to play my blu rays on that, I'm fed up with cyberlink now
nagpig12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2008 22:04 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
My approach is that cyberlink are preventing me from accessing my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware. I would have reasonably expected them to anticipate their users would want to play this realease (in their droves). I am therefore going to request compensation for the time thst I am not able to access my legimately purchased blu ray hardware. My compensation request will be in relation to each hour I am not able to access my hardware. I suggest anyone else in the UK take the same approach. I also hope that a senior member of Cyberlink staff who is familiar with UK consumer protection law is monitoring this forum, or that the technicians dealing with this pass the issue on to someone who is- see below:

Hi,

When I try and play the new Star Wars Blu Ray, I get a message saying my software needs playing and directing me to your site (cyberlink.con/bdupdate). However, this informs me that my software is up to date and wishes me a pleasant evening watching my movie. This is unacceptable- I have never had a blu ray disc that refuses to play before.
Please can you advise me of a solution that will enable me to access my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware by return? My drive firmware is up to date, before you ask. If a soution is not forthcoming I will seek compensation for every hour that I am not able to access my legitimately purchased blu ray hardware in accordance with UK consumer protection law in relation to fitness for purpose of products. I will start logging your response time from 23:00hrs on Sunday 18th Sept. I am aware that you already know there is a problem and suprised you let an issue like this occur in relation to a "must buy" release such as star wars.

regards

DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is very good,

I hope something gets done, PLEASE keep us informed Mr nagpig12

Great job!
RockO2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2010 07:44 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My approach is that cyberlink are preventing me from accessing my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware. I would have reasonably expected them to anticipate their users would want to play this realease (in their droves). I am therefore going to request compensation for the time thst I am not able to access my legimately purchased blu ray hardware. My compensation request will be in relation to each hour I am not able to access my hardware. I suggest anyone else in the UK take the same approach. I also hope that a senior member of Cyberlink staff who is familiar with UK consumer protection law is monitoring this forum, or that the technicians dealing with this pass the issue on to someone who is- see below:

Hi,

When I try and play the new Star Wars Blu Ray, I get a message saying my software needs playing and directing me to your site (cyberlink.con/bdupdate). However, this informs me that my software is up to date and wishes me a pleasant evening watching my movie. This is unacceptable- I have never had a blu ray disc that refuses to play before.
Please can you advise me of a solution that will enable me to access my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware by return? My drive firmware is up to date, before you ask. If a soution is not forthcoming I will seek compensation for every hour that I am not able to access my legitimately purchased blu ray hardware in accordance with UK consumer protection law in relation to fitness for purpose of products. I will start logging your response time from 23:00hrs on Sunday 18th Sept. I am aware that you already know there is a problem and suprised you let an issue like this occur in relation to a "must buy" release such as star wars.

regards

RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After sending all the information that they asked from me about my computer Box set and Player i am using.. PowerDvD 9 i have still not hear anythink from them... And want make me laugh is my computer passed all the testeds. lol
nagpig12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm glad I have a cheap blu Ray player stashed.....bought from a supermarket for £40. Plays the discs and doesn't require all this nonsense. Which is why (whatever happens), there is no way I will be paying to upgrade. Actually, I was toying with the idea of getting the latest PDVD software for this boxed set, but since this issue has arisen, I'm not sure I want to grace cyberlink with my money.
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i can understand that beacuse £60 is a lot of money to get 10 & 11 when u all ready have a good Cyberlink Plyer.
But when i tryed the trial for AnyDvD it worked fine, But when i unstaill it and loaded the player back up again it came
with the same information again..

Sorry from when i was at school my spelling and grammar never been that good.
nagpig12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No worries....I know what you are sayin' ;
reaktor24 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 08, 2010 10:09 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I would also like to see a fix for PowerDVD 7.3 as this is the version I use and I'm very happy with it. I tried the PowerDVD 11 trial but I can't get on with it. It seems such a bloated piece of software now compared to version 7. I don't like the fact that:

a) There is now a bar a the top of the screen with a load of crap I don't need or want to see.

b) I don't like the information panel that slides in from the right everytime I play a movie.

c) I don't like the fact that the Windows Start panel pops up every now and again whenever I access the PowerDVD interface in fullscreen mode.

d) I don't like the fact that the spacebar no longer pauses a movie like version 7 does.

I am not sure if I will upgrade to 11 because of these issues. And if there isn't an update to version 7, I might just buy a standalone Blu-ray 3D player. At least that should be future proof with firmware upgrades unlike this software!
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've given up completely. Even though I earn a shitty £2.50 an hour (apperntership pay) I couldn't wait, so I went out and brought a PS3

Just to watch star wars

Plus..a PS3 is like a blu ray player with games

I shall no longer be using cyberlink, they haven't replyed to any of my E-mails since

What crap customer service
nagpig12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just received a request to provide various log files- have replied back stating that they can replicate the fault on their own time, not mine- it's clearly a "known issue". I am now looking for contact details of senior staff at Cyberlink.
holepuncher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2011 23:05 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the exact same problem with Power DVD version 8. It tells me to go to cyberlink.com/bdupdate and when I go there, it doesn't work. It hasn't even been a year since I bought my player. I updated my firmware but powerDVD still will not play star wars. I have already wasted quite a few hours trying to fix this and searching online and I finally ended up in this forum to see other having the exact same problems.

I do not think it is fair to ask us to buy a new version. How do we know that the new version will not stop working when a newer movie gets released?

Please resolve this problem. Thanks.
abbeyboy91 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 20:19 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
For what it's worth, X-Men First Class had the same issue for me (It wouldnt play in 7.3). I then bought a copy of 10 off ebay for $29 and both X-Men and Star Wars played, but then started artifacting incredibly badly (here is a link to a video of it on my screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU-PJqPD3Wg).

The issue for 10 and 11 seems to be (according to this thread over here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/18933.page#99772) that Fox BDs overload the first core in a multicore CPU while leaving the second core chilling. So this coming patch is expected to fix that.

As for 7,8 and 9, speaking from experience it seems that these newer BDs, at least from Fox, are no longer supported... Which I'm pissed off about. I suggest lodging complaints/support tickets.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2011 01:18

nagpig12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
And that is where the issue lies- Power DVD 7 and 8 features the Blu-Ray logo and especially if supplied with a drive is clearly for the purpose of playing blu ray discs that conform to the agreed blu ray standard indicated by the Blu-ray logo. Not only blu rays up to a certain point when they get bored of issuing updates. From a UK consumer law point of view, this will have to be either a patch or a free upgrade. Either that or a complaint to trading standards, THEN a patch and a free upgrade + compensation for the time when the software was not fit for purpose.......good thing we don't do class actions in the UK.
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Mr Nagpig12, if you get the details and file a complaint to trading standards, let me know what to do as I will also do it to. As they are basicly selling an unfir product. You wouldn't buy a fridge to keep half your food cold
Paul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 16, 2011 14:27 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm going to contact BBC's Watchdog programme. This is unacceptable. Cyberlink know that there is a problem, but instead of fixing it, they are forcing customers to buy the latest version. Let's see if a bit of bad publicity will make them buck their ideas up.
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great! Keep me posted, I've been watching my star wars at a friends house now.

Right pain in the arse.
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So it been two weeks now from when the Star wars Box set came out and still no new information about
If they are going to do a patch up date or when they will release one to fix the problems. as me and so many other customers who use the Cyberlink progames are now thinking about moiveing on. By buying a Blu-Ray Player or a PS3.

Because I can understand why they would wanted to fix the 10 or 11 PowerDVD player, it uses the 3D technology. But there are still not many 3D films out there, apart from a few animated ones, plus you'll also need a 3D monitor, which means forking out another decent amount of cash, just because PowerDVD was unable to perform the task it commited itself to, playing blurays.

You should also fix versions 7, 8 and 9, so they can perform the service that we purchased when we paid for this software. Otherwise, what we have now, is a blueray player, that doesn't play bluerays, and therefore is deemed useless.