Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Strange picture distortion - Star Wars blu ray
mattcharlton [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2011 07:59 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Update:

I think Star Wars suffers from the same bug in PowerDVD 11 affecting Avatar on Blu Ray, when playing any of the Star Wars movie discs, the first CPU core on a multi-core processor runs flat out. This is causing problems with playback - graphic distortion and some sound cut outs/player crashes.

Hopefully we'll see a fix soon?

PowerDVD full Version Full version 11 Ultra
PowerDVD SR Number DVD110811-05
PowerDVD TR Number TR110902-013
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium
Do you use administrator or restricted user account? Administrator
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Retail
Used VGA 1GB ATI Mobility 5400
Used VGA driver version 8.881
Used Audio device Onboard Realtek
Used Audio device driver version Latest
The Audio setting in PowerDVD and in OS (default devices) SP/DIF
Used ODD drive (full model name and Firmware Version) Hitachi + LG CT30N F/W A200
Used Display(s) 40" Samsung TV (1080p)
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI) HDMI
Whcih Display refresh rate do you use while Playback (24/25/50/60/120/...) color=darkred] 30Hz interlaced according to DXDiag - switched to 60hz to test if this is the fault[/color]
Are you using single or dual monitor environment Single
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display) N/a
(3D only) Please provide detail info about 3D setting in PowerDVD N/A
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using Microsoft Security Essentials
Which Internet Browser Software is installed Chrome/FF/IE9
Do you use virtual ODD (e.g Daemon Tools) No

I received my Star Wars Blu Ray box set super early (yay). Sadly, my Dell Zino 410 seems to be struggling to play them. It's a relatively new system, played a couple of blu rays with power dvd 11 and they were okay. I'm not sure if there's something new in the DRM used by the Star Wars BDs or what's going on but it's infuriating to say the least.

The discs will play but random artefacts appear on screen with no real pattern - sometimes you'll get a few lines of them, other times it will be the entire screen. I've tested the discs in my PS3 and they seemed to play okay. The screen corruption doesn't happen in the same place each time and doesn't happen every time - as I say some times it will play fine for 30 minutes, other times you'll see the artefacts every 5 minutes or so.

PC is not under any other load, no other applications are in use. RealVNC is installed but no remote sessions are active whilst playing. I've tried disabling the mirror driver which makes no difference.

Things I've done so far:

Upgraded PowerDVD 11 Ultra to the latest version (1/09)
Tried three different sets of ATI drivers
Disabled the VNC mirror driver
Turned off Hardware Acceleration in PowerDVD

I can't tell if PowerDVD is at fault, whether its my graphics card, RAM or whether its the drive. I ran memtest for 30 minutes and no errors were found, I need to run this overnight to allow it to do a few passes.

I played one of the extras on one of the accompanying BDs last night for over an hour and no artefacts were seen - the picture was 4:3 and not 1080p - it was more what I'd expect from DVD. I run the PC in 1920x1080, the TV supports this and I've watched 1080p mkv files and other 1080p blu rays without a problem.

Just noticed I'm running at 30hz, changed to 60hz to see if this fixes
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDiag
 Filesize
21 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
519 time(s)
[Thumb - swbd.JPG]
 Filename
swbd.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Example of picture corruption
 Filesize
1804 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
736 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 10. 2011 11:34

mattcharlton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just wanted to add - as well as the artefacts, in some cases, the PowerDVD screen will go black and playback stops, I can quit PowerDVD and the system itself seems fine.
mattcharlton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Changing the refresh rate from 30hz to 60hz has not resolved the problem.
mattcharlton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Think I've figured this out.

Outstanding bug for Power DVD:

[033] [investigating] high CPU load on one Core while AVATAR BD playback on Core2Duo CPU

Out of the 4 cores, the first processor core when watching Star Wars is super super high, basically working the hell out of it, all of the time. Watching Toy Story 3 and it's hardly taxing the first core.

Both Avatar and Star Wars are from Fox, I reckon this could be the same issue.
mattcharlton [Avatar]
[Post New]
As you can see from these two pictures - Star Wars is absolutely destroying that first core, Toy Story 3 plays without a problem.

Hopefully once this is released next week and more people have their copies, people will stumble across this forum post rather than having to spend 24 hours trying to figure out what on earth was causing the problem.

So, it looks like a PowerDVD issue - it looks like its related to the Avatar problem. When can we expect a fix? I've paid a lot of money for a piece of software that won't do what I want it to do at the moment. Considering how long Avatar has been out on Blu Ray for, do we think we'll have to wait 12+ months before we see a resolution to this problem?
[Thumb - IMG_2823.JPG]
 Filename
IMG_2823.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Toy Story 3 Processor utilisation
 Filesize
2113 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
618 time(s)
[Thumb - IMG_2825.JPG]
 Filename
IMG_2825.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Star Wars Ep1 Processor utilisation
 Filesize
1914 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
592 time(s)
David [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 22, 2010 18:41 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
X-Men First Class has the same issue with core usage. The picture distortion starts when the branch points for the 'X Marks the Spot' mode pass. TotalMedia Theatre has the the same problem.

Surprise surprise, also a Fox blu.
Steven [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 02, 2010 18:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same issues with x-men first class and rio which I reported awhile back and so did many other people.
It seems to be an issue with fox bd movies with powerdvd 10 or 11. Cyberlink said that they can not duplicate the problem but several people reported the problem and one guy gave very detailed report of his hardware and software leaving out his blood type but there was no answers.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
we are investigating this issue and we will release a patch soon!

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
mattcharlton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,

Great news - thank you very much. Managed to get around it by using AnyDVD to interface between PowerDVD and my Blu-Ray discs but I'm only using a trial.

If this gets fixed it saves me having to pay out another £60.

Many thanks,

Matt
SAC [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Sep 15, 2011 08:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I have just had the same problem described in strange picture distortion - Star Wars Blu Ray. Core 0 of my six core AMD1090T processor is working flat out and Cores 1-5 are at idle. Configuration is
AMD1090T 6 core CPU
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 MB
Gigabyte HD5770 SO 1GB DDR5 Video Card
Pioneer BDR-206 Drive
16GB DDR3 1333 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
Power DVD 11
Latest Drivers and Software updates
So I say there is enough horsepower and Avatar plays flawless but Star Wars Episode 4 fails miserably. I've only played (or try to play) one disk so far.

It would be good if the patch gan be available as soon as possible so that I can enjoy watching Star Wars with PowerDVD 11.

Thanks
SAC
Paulochon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2011 13:21 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Same thing happening to me with Conan Barbarian & Star Wars.. it's the same movies that weren't playable with my previous PowerDVD 9 Ultra (something to do with copy protection not updated for it..)
Hope that patch will be very very soon and not in 6 months

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2011 12:26

the_mouse [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 08:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just paid for PowerDVD 11 to find that my Avatar or Predators discs still will not play, all fox what do they do to their discs? I have :-

AMD Phenom 965 x4
4Gb Ram
Asus M4A88TD-V-EVO-USB3
AMD HD6770 connected to my TV via HDMI
Samsung SH-B083L Dive
Win7 Home Premium

The only player I found to play these is WinDVD but it doesn't do 3D, Mediacenter integration well.

If there is no fix for this am I able to get a refund I wonder?
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

the patch to fix the issues with FOX titles is expected to be released early next week!

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
skylerlusc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 13:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm also having issues with Star Wars on Power DVD 11.
Étienne [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2009 21:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm also having issues with Star Wars and X-Men first class on Power DVD 11.
abbeyboy91 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 20:19 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Glad to hear there's going to be a fix soon. I've had the same issue with Star Wars and X-Men. Neither would play on my PowerDVD 7.3 so I bought a copy of 10, and they worked at first but then broke down into the issues listed above. I hope that the patch will work in PowerDVD 10 too!

FYI my system is:

Core 2 Duo 2.4 E6600
6GB DDR2 RAM
EVGA GTX 260
Samsung 20" 206BW - DVI
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
zoomar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2011 16:01 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Star Wars worked slightly with PowerDVD 9... had the previously mentioned distorted picture. I upgraded to Power DVD 11, thinking that might fix the problem. Now the discs don't play at all.

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 2500mhz
8 GB
ATI RAdeon HD 4600, 1024 DDR3
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Bogehoj [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2011 08:12 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Same here

Intel Atom D510 1,66 GHz
8 GB ram
Nvidia ION2
Win7 64 Bit Ultimate
One of four kernels is running at 100%
Only on my StarWars BD Boxset , all my other BD is ok.

Nice finding mattcharlton!
zoomar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2011 16:01 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Downloaded and installed a suggested update today (for version 11) and it didn't help. Don't know if that was a new update or not, but I never got the message for it before.
Paulochon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2011 13:21 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
It is a new update, build 2114, my problem still there too (can't read any blu-ray at all).