Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Strange picture distortion - Star Wars blu ray
Canuc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2011 23:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm very disapointed with Cyberlink
I have the same problem of flickering in version 10 and 11 (full ultra package)

The only blue ray capable unit is my computer
(windows7 / 64 bits / core duo quade 3.0 gHz / 8Gig Mem. / fast Hard drives)
After changing the blue ray collection at the store, I got the same problem again today.
So the problem was my computer, the software or the disc ?

I have Nero 10 mutimedia suite (latest version)
I never used it to play blue ray before, so I decided to give it a try

It works perfectly, very fast when advancing the fim etc... - works with no problem
The problem is not my computer cool !

So I'm certain that PowerDVD still has a major problems (even after installing the update of the 19/09)
I've been using powerDVD 6,7,8,910,11
very disapointed with powerdvd

Well at least I'm able to watch the movie now (with nero)

Canuc
(Senior System Administrator)

Tostito80 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 18:56 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Almost makes me want to just buy a Blu Ray player and watch it seperate from my computer...

Some sony PS3's and stand alone Blu Ray players are also having issues playing the new fox discs. Not just Cyberlink having the issue. I visited Arcsoft's site as well and their forums are similar to ours with the problems playing the discs. This is Fox updating their encryption on the discs I am 90 percent sure. For whatever reason there is a breakdown in communication to the hardware/software people over the various platforms. Or due to the way the discs are produced the companies have not been able to head this sort of thing off until they get a hold of the discs.

Either way it is just a pain for us while we wait for the companies to scramble and get some code pushed out. Thanks fox. really appreciate it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2011 03:17

Jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2011 05:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm over DVD playback software, finally time to buy hardware. Endless expensive upgrades yet bugs like these that none of my hardware Blu-ray player friends deal with. It's so embarrassing.
Manoroid [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2010 23:07 Messages: 143 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm over DVD playback software, finally time to buy hardware. Endless expensive upgrades yet bugs like these that none of my hardware Blu-ray player friends deal with. It's so embarrassing.

It really is getting embarrassing! I've spent a lot of money on their software over the years and never have had perfect playback. You would think that the pc would be more superior to all this technology!
Tostito80 [Avatar]
[Post New]
LG confirmed a firmware update will not fix this issue.

"Thank you for contacting LG Electronics. We apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing. The updates and patches in this case would be provided by Cyberlink for new bluray movies. The firmware updates that we provide are for the hardware and they only add functionality to new types of recordable discs or Operating System compatibility.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division "

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 22. 2011 14:19

turley714 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2010 19:08 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah the problem is with the DRM. If you remove the DRM with software like Slysofts AnyDVD it will work perfectly. This will also keep you from needing to constantly update PowerDVD since they only seem to release updates for the newest product, forcing you to give them more money.... and then not providing a working product. So pay Slysoft the money instead and get a working product....seems reasonable to me.
SzymonB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2011 16:28 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm I have the same issue. First updating to the latest 2114 helped but then I tried a different disk and the pixellation came back. Looking forward to an update!!!!
the_mouse [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 08:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This update has not helped for me either, still cannot play avatar, predators or star wars. I do think though that we should be pointing the finger at FOX who are so obsessed with strong DRM to stop copying when all it does is stuff up the consumer, the ppl who copy get around it anyway. This continual changing of the DRM encrytion is killing Bluray as a format. I should not have to update my player every time FOX releases new movies I'm over it.
DC_Canuck [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2011 20:28 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I too am experiencing the same problems trying to watch the new Star Wars Blu-Ray discs on my computer with PowerDVD 11. I"m glad I was finally able to find this forum topic!

I hope a fix is out soon; otherwise, I will be returning this software and looking to buy a Blu-Ray player for my home theater system!
zoomar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2011 16:01 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I do hope theres another update coming soon... ??

I actually ditched my last DVD software for this same reason (Direct DVD) a few years ago. What good is it if I can't play anything new? Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful it'll be fixed... I just hope its not months away.

Another disc that won't play... Eddie Vedder Live "Water on the Road."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2011 01:20

Tostito80 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Still eyeballing this thread for any announcements. I had the courage to buy powerdvd 11 so the resolution of this matter will determine if I am to be a future customer.
David [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 22, 2010 18:41 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
2114 also didn't help with X-Men First Class. Still get the corruption at the same points.

Oddly, it did fix the out of synch audio when playing at 24hz, though.
Paulochon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2011 13:21 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Still eyeballing this thread for any announcements. I had the courage to buy powerdvd 11 so the resolution of this matter will determine if I am to be a future customer.

If you wish to see your movies while they try to fix it or before you claim a refund do like me.
Move the ArcSoft website to download TotalMedia Theatre 5 trial version, at least you would have 15 days to see your Blu-Ray.

At least if you are like me.. I were completly blocked with PowerDVD 11 Ultra which can't read any of my 300+ Blu-Ray, downloaded TotalMedia Theatre and got no problem at all !
At least i can see my movies while Cyberlink try to solve the problem or like you i will claim a refund before the end of 30 days guarantee after purchase.

For Star Wars & recent Fox release it seems to be a general problem. All BR software players are affected and even some hardware player ! The copy protection is the key.
Shame on Fox (and the Star Wars image quality isn't top notch remaster !)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2011 06:26

[Post New]
Updating to 2114 made no difference for me with the star wars titles. Same problem as everyone else, high single core usage and pixellation which is quite annoying. Powerdvd wasn't cheap so understandably people with this problem aren't happy at all and the supposed fix is no fix at all.
x-ray [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2011 11:00 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hey people!

I've just found the solution! Before finding this thread, I also add those graphic artifacts on (not so) random scenes when viewing Episode IV (bought in Singapore), using PowerDVD 10 Mark II Ultra Version 10.0.3306.54 I got from Cyberlink website...
At first, I thought it was a hardware issue with my old LG BD reader/DVD burner BH05LS20 I got back in France...So I bought the LG BD/DVD burner BH12LS38, here in Singapore, coming with PowerDVD 9 Version 9.0.3530.52.
With PowerDVD 10, I still had those artifacts...So I tried to get back to the shop for a refund, it costs me S$30 more but the guy proved me that the burner was reading everything well with PowerDVD 9.

I tried again at home viewing the whole Episode IV using v9 without any issue!!! Just to be sure, I tried again with v10, artifacts are still there...

So it's really a classic regression issue Cyberlink have here...or some fixes that got in v9 but didn't make the cut in v10 and v11 for whatever reasons...

Edit: oh I also tested TotalMedia Theatre 5 in the process...I didn't get the artifacts with it but the playback suddenly become choppy for 2 seconds every minute...yeah it's not better after all despite my computer being fast enough with an Intel i5-2400 3.10GHz, an AMD Radeon 5870, 4 GB of RAM and Win7 64 bits.

Edit 2: updated v9 to 9.0.4322.52 then ran Ep IV for 7 mn as a quick check, still no artifact. Conclusion: do not upgrade to v10 or v11...Cyberlink should pay us for being their beta testers.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 25. 2011 11:48

Paulochon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2011 13:21 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
So in fact, you have found no solution at all. It's a well known software bugs since the very beginning.

All softwares (Corel, ArcSoft, Cyberlink, etc..) are affected. So it has something to do with the copy protection and how it is decrypted by PC softwares.
The only solution is to wait for a patch.

Plus i remember 2 weeks ago, i cannot read the recent Fox titles because of the copy protection that weren't supported by my PowerDVD 9 Ultra. Maybe it has changed now, i haven't the file to reinstall the old version anyway.

1 week left for me before i moved to another software or a real hardware player.
x-ray [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2011 11:00 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, it's not a true solution, but at least it's working for me with Episode IV, and V as well.
I don't have Power DVD 9 Ultra but the OEM version that came with my new BD burner...Maybe the difference is there as I don't know if the different versions have big changes of code and so potentially different bugs.
[Post New]
Yesterday I tried watching IV on my laptop which has oem powerdvd 9.5 latest patch and the pixellation didn't appear. So powerdvd 11 ultra 2114 doesn't play right but the older software does. Makes you wonder what is going on with the programmers.
DarkanaApenia [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2011 19:41 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought star wars this weekend have same problem pixelization then all powerdvd becomes black screen, i push ctrl,alt & del to close it and it show is working lol. windows 7 64 bit all lateset updates in everything, problem persist and it affects all the rest disc I put also. Only if I restart it can play the other but after some mins with star wars, everyhting stops. I got the steelbook uk avastar edition didn't have any problems with it then...
erwtwret [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2011 05:44 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Got the same problem. GF9800 1G; 8G Ram, 2.8Ghz, win 7 X64. LG BDRW. Updated graphic card, BD player. Tried on Power DVD7., 9, (no way play at all) and 10, 11 and TMT5, all with the same problem random pixelization and core 2 on 100%, never had any problem with BD like that. Never tried PD 9.5 as suggested above, anyone have update file 9.5? Very frustrating

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2011 05:54

[Post New]
Have you looked on the site for it? I received an email from cyberlink with a link for the file however I can email it to you if you need it. PM me with an email that will accept files larger than 3mb and I'll send it to you if you can't find it here on site.