Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering Changes Aspect Ratio
Timvids [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2011 15:59 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folks,

Took me forever to get here, about a half an hour just to find a forum I could post in, very frustrating.

I was loving this software until the rendering stage. I shoot with a HD Canon, have to switch the MOV into AVI format and edit it in the software.

Then when rendering, I choose the WMV format for youtube uploads. Chose one of the HD options (avoiding the "FULL" one, because I was concerned it would change the aspect ratio) and no matter what I do, about four different renderings now, the aspect ratio gets messed up every time...squashes the screen, making everything taller and skinnier than it should be.

Please help. I need resolution to this else I'll have to return the software.

All I want is SO easy: to record with my camera, and convert it into the highest quality I can manage, considering all the format changing that is going on. The Windows Movie Maker does this for me just fine, it just lacks all the bells and whistles of this software.

Anyone can answer by just telling me the proper settings in the rendering stage. I always save it to my desktop.

Tried the mpeg-4 by the way (I believe that's what it's called) and I then couldn't even open it, and on top of that, the file was gargantuan. I want to avoid that. WMV is fine for my final format.

Thanks so much. Be interesting to see if I can ever find my way back here once answers are posted, but I do have email prompts that will hopefully help me. I found another forum, but found no way to post to it...frustrating!!!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TimVids -

It'll be easy to find your way back here if you've checked "Notify when a reply is posted" - you'll get an email. Otherwise, just put http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/67.page in your bookmarks/favourites.

I think you've probably stumbled on the WMV9 1440x1080 profile. It gives lots of folks grief. It works fine if you've shot in that resolution, which uses non-square pixels.

My guess is that you shot in 16:9 & now your produced file is "squished" into a 4:3 looking thing.

Just to explain the WMV HD profiles:
• WMV 9 FULLHD Quality = 1920x1080 @ 10MBps
• WMV 9 HD High Quality = 1440x1080 @ 8MBps (displayed as 16:9 because of the non-square pixel AR)
• WMV 9 HD Standard Quality = 1280x720 @ 6MBps

Which model Canon do you use? Which recording mode did you use? I take it that you've tried to import the .MOV clips directly into PD, but there was a problem. Yes? I (personally) wouldn't recommend converting to AVI before import. "Converting" to .MOV might normalise the clip & keep PD happy.

Could you post a sample .MOV clip direct from your camera? Add it as an attachment & other members can test it for you.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Timvids [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you so much for your time.

It never occurred to me that I would not need to convert beforehand...which would make things MUCH better for me, since I avoid degrading.

Lemme give it a try first, and again, thanks...I'll report back.

Tim
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Be interesting to see if I can ever find my way back here once answers are posted

If you have trouble getting back here, click on Support at the CyberLink home page, and choose Customer Support. There is a link to the forums at the bottom. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Timvids [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi again folks,

I did manage to easily import the raw file without having to convert it which was awesome...BUT...it didn't work.

Aspect ratio is still changing on it's own.

I am using Widnows Media Video 9 HD High Quality option.

I am open to suggestions.

I absolutely love this software...it was super-user-friendly, didn't even TOUCH the user guide, had only a minor thing to figure out or two (coming from Pinnacle Studio usage) and then to get all the way to producing the project, and have this happen...

SO disappointing, but I'm hanging on hoping someone has another suggestion.

I have things I have to tend to...I will be back tomorrow morning. It's a shame the company does not have simple chat support, but I'm pleased with the forum's quick responses.

Thanks so much and PLEEZE HELP. I depend on these video productions for business purposes, this is not for pleasure!

Tim
Timvids [Avatar]
[Post New]
HEY, P.S.!...

I just looked at the first reply, and I recall in Pinnacle Studio that the "Standard" option you list above IS the format I was using.

This gives me something to hope for...I will opt for that tomorrow morning.

But is it realistic to think that will resolve this?

I will also reference the Canon model next time, it's not with me now.

Thanks so much for your time, you're doin' a good deed here!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Canon HD camcorder and have no such trouble, but I don't use WMV. Is your video in AVCHD? I will try a short sample and see if I have the same result. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James Dotson
[Post New]
The Widnows Media Video 9 HD High Quality looks to be the 1440x1080 profile. I produced to that and the full HD profile and saw no difference in playback on my computer using Media Player and VLC Player. The full HD was about 20% larger file size. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Timvids [Avatar]
[Post New]
If I understand what you're saying...you're going over my head just a bit here and there...I think that is why I need to try the HD "Standard" option. Hoping that will get me where I'm trying to go.

I'm just using a small Canon PowerShot SD 1400 IS.

Gives me all the quality I need, but I am ready to buy a new camera.

I am going to try it this afternoon again.

And I am getting email links here, which is great.

Thanks again for the assistance, I'll let you know what happens this afternoon............Tim
Timvids [Avatar]
[Post New]
P.S. My original video, I believe, is in "MOV"...it then used to be exported into AVI for use in my Pinnacle Studio, which then converted to WMV.

Was a pain.

It was great to simply copy and paste those original videos and plug them right into PD; if I can resolve this problem, I'm going to be one happy camper. And unfortunately if I can't resolve it, I"ll have no use for the software.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Tim -

The Canon Powershot 1400 does record in .MOV format, in 1280 x 720, 640 x 480 or 320 x 240.

Assuming your clips have been recorded in 720p, I downloaded some samples from Vimeo
http://www.vimeo.com/11643339
http://www.vimeo.com/11643339

Importing directly into PD was no problem. No conversion is necessary. All that re-rendering is only going to cause diminished quality, without making your editing one bit easier!

If you want to produce your finished video in WMV format to cut down file size, the WMV 9 HD Standard Quality (1280x720 @ 6MBps) is the best profile to use. MediaInfo reports a bitrate of 23.5MBps, but that may not be correct (?).

Producing to WMV HD High Quality will distort your video. Don't go near it!

Note: Oddly, the file produced in WMV HD High Quality displays as 16:9 in PD, but plays back in VLC & WMP as 4:3. Someone smarter 'n me might be able to explain that.

Someone smarter 'n me might also be able to explain why a 1280x720 MOV profile wouldn't be part of PD's standard profile set.

Bottom line Tim:

Use WMV HD Standard Quality - NOT WMV HD High Quality

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 10. 2011 13:46

Timvids [Avatar]
[Post New]
I DID...before I checked into here (I realized I should've came here first, but just hit produce and let it run while I did other things).

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH.

It was your first posting and the numbers...the 1280x720...that rang a bell from using Pinnacle Studio, and the Standard WORKED.

You have no idea how happy I am. Cuz I REALLY liked this software a lot.

You can bet I'll be keeping it.

I'm also going to likely get the newest Canon in the same line, the updated version of what I have...I will be a little concerned about which format I can then use, but I'll just bug you to help me again.

I have an online fat loss program that helps people a great deal. My own development. Also helps with health problems and chronic pain.

Please let me know if you'd like a copy of it, 3 ebooks and a month's worth of videos, or if you have any pain issues with joints, prostate issues, energy issues, please let me know. I'm well-versed in these areas and have been told I can be very helpful. I'd be happy to assist in exchange for what you've provided here, I really appreciate your time.

I'll watch for your response, and thank-you-thank-you, you and Jaime for your efforts here!!

Tim
Timvids [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Tony, etc...

I'm back and using a new Canon camera that gives me 1080p video, the PowerShot SX230 HS...

Is there a better setting than the Standard we discussed below? I realized I'd better ask before I bother rendering.

Thanks a bunch........Tim
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Tim -

The SX230 HS is a nice step up. Full HD 1920X1080 @ 24fps. Still in .MOV format.

To retain maximum quality, render in the same format you record in. If you record in full HD, render/produce in .MOV - Quicktime Full HD Quality. For the other recording settings use an equivalent .MOV profile... though there isn't a 1280x720 one available.

Have fun with it!

Cheers - Tony

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with sticking with the original .MOV format. However, I've done extensive editing with HD-MOV and then rendering the original into AVCHD (mts) and the results are excellent ! Win 10, i7
ynotfish
[Post New]
Tim -

Good point, HD!

Tim - given the testing HDEdit has done, & the excellent results, that's another good option for you.

Both .MOV & .MTS in PD use AVC codec. The advantage of .MTS over .MOV in PD is the variety of profiles (including 1280x720) & better bitrate control.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hey Turning -

One day soon, someone's going to wise up that you're spamming this forum. This is the second similar post you've made - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/28341.page#228589 - not only that, they're both very old threads.

That's *naughty*, you know.

Tony
Turning [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 17, 2015 23:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Ynotfish,
Thank you for your reminder, I will not post this similar post again.

Jut find one guide, then find another guide according to the first one.

And think this may help