Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Size of software programme
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
I recently downloaded PD9 trial and it was a significant sized file. However checking the programme in the Windows7 Control Panel it shows a programme size of just 7.20MB.

Cyberlink DVD Suite was preinstalled on my new HP laptop and I think that some release of PD was included in it ... though I had never tried it. Is this the reason why I seem to have a small PD software programme or is the trial version heavily restricted. I think PD9 is excellent and will purchase ... will this then 'upgrade' installed software. CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi RonH, Something is amiss with the program size you have. PD9 trial is smaller than the full build but not that small.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The PD9 Trial is about 400 Megabytes download. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
It's perfectly possible that the PowerDirector.EXE file to launch the programm is only 7mb.. (can' t check from here...will do when back at home) but all the various supporting programms that this launch programm calls.. and which are contained in the downloadable zip file, make up many 100's of Mb...
:
Hugo
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for all your replies.
I have checked all Cyberlink software on my pc (as listed in Control Panel/Programmes) with the following result:

DVD Suite 37.6MB
Power Director trial 7.2MB
YouCam 102MB
Label Print 281MB
Power2Go 198MB

Note that I had Cyberlink software as part of my HP 'pre-installed package' and something to do with 'PowerDirector' was removed when I installed the trial ... don't know the detail of what was there.

The PD9 that is now in trial seems to function OK and I am going to purchase it BUT I don't want to buy it if its not installed correctly. I guess that I need to raise a technical query which I will do now. CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ron
If the trial runs well on your machine , the final version SURE will do too.
:
Hugo
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The size of the PDR9.exe (Paid version 9.0.0.2930) is 3.22 MB.

That is not all that runs when using Power Director. PDR9.exe has many supporting files and programs that do the actual work of a NLE.

The size of the PowerDirector Program Folder is 1.23 GB. And that is not all of the program, there are other files in the User folders.

Powerdirector Paid version is a BIG program.
I am using the 64 bit Ultra version. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It's perfectly possible that the PowerDirector.EXE file to launch the programm is only 7mb.. (can' t check from here...will do when back at home) but all the various supporting programms that this launch programm calls.. and which are contained in the downloadable zip file, make up many 100's of Mb...
:
Hugo

That would be my guess, also. Remember that Windows uses DLL's, etc, so the executable program may be 7MB, but there may be 400MB of associated files installed elsewhere that the program uses. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RonH
[Post New]
Thanks all.
I guess that the programme size in my Control Panel/Programmes is correct based on what you say.

Just made a simple 'still pic series' with some text and effects and saved it as WMV to email to a friend. I found the Edit/Produce very straight forward though I had some minor difficulties at the Edit stage getting the series of still pics to accept the transitions. I tried the 'Random Transitions to All' having first selected All but it took a number of attempts for it to function. I don't know if this is a 'common' experience that is solved by a software update ... can't check this myself since no updates are available for the trial.

Overall it gets my vote ... I was considering the Adobe Premiere Elements but having a good read of forum's etc ...
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3440710

Thanks for assisting this Newbee into PD9
Ron CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)