Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 not importing these avi files
A.Gil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2011 04:46 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I'm attaching a sample avi file, My PD9 won't let me import it.
It says it may be because it is of unsoportted format.
I can see this file fine on all other computers.
Can some one suggest a way to get it to work with my PD9 also?
I curently have the K-lite codec pack 7.6.0 (basic)
and K-lite codec pack 5.2.0 (64-bit)

A Gil
 Filename
Beijing_ 254 Movie.avi
[Disk]
 Description
samle avi movie
 Filesize
5326 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
252 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi A.Gill -

I had no trouble importing your Canon's AVI clip into PD.

I use the K-LIte Codec pack on my PC too (the FULL version). The basic & standard versions do not contain the Lagarith codec... & that may be the missing link.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

or - for a separate download of Lagarith http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lagarith_Lossless_Video_Codec.htm

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Like Tony, I had no problem importing your clip into PDR9.

I do not use the K-Lite Codec pack, but I do have the Lagarith codec installed.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I also had no problem. Apparently I also have the Lagarith codec, although I don't remember how I got it. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
A.Gil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi There,

Thank you all,

After each one of these steps, I just tried to open the file with media player first :

I Installed the K-Lite (Full) - still didn't work and gave a detailed massage with video settings.
Then I Installed the Lagarith - and still no change.
After that, I uninstalled a previous K-lit (64bit) I had installed a few days ago - after this the clip didn't open but no i got no massage.

Lastly, I uninstalled the K-Lite (Full) , the one I just installed - and now with only Lagarith , the file opens fine.

However, I still cannot import it to PD9... attached is the massage I still continue to get.

Many Thanks for the great help.

A Gil
[Thumb - error massage.jpg]
 Filename
error massage.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
165 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
114 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmm -

Tricky one.

Try running it through FormatFactory http://www.pcfreetime.com/ - select all to AVI - & use the converted file in PD.

That's not a permanent solution, because there's no flaw with the actual clip.

I had a massage this morning too!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
A.Gil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well Tony,

An unexpected twist in the story,
I downloaded Format factory as you said, and installed it.

After completing the installation, there were 2 checked boxes: install codecs and run program.

I checked both and after that, before I even touched the program, I tried importing again to DP9 - and surprize, surprize It IMPORTED !

only explination I can think of is the codecs installed by format factory did the job...

And about the massage, I have an appointment for this coming sunday

THANKS ALOT (sorry for spelling - doing my best)

A Gil
[Thumb - walla.jpg]
 Filename
walla.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
it works
 Filesize
136 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
118 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2011 20:13

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
The codec is MJPEG according to MediaInfo. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
MJPEG is motion JPEG. There are several different ways to achieve this just like there are dozens of different MPEG4 causes us headaches. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM