Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 Freezing/Lags while Scubbing Timeline
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I had a quick look at your DXdiag file you are Running windows 7 64Bit with 4o96mb memory not enough for video editing. I recommend 6 or more GB for video editing.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
William.gh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2011 22:00 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
ATI driver dated 7/29/2011 is the latest driver even if there is a later post date. Latest driver atm is 8.881.

David's icon comment is regarding, in part, the 4 Magic icons to the left of work space. When working with the files, the icons keep "refreshing" where the Green "S" Magic Music icon starts at the top and moves down presenting the other icons. When the software locks up, this animation is halted in the middle of it's process whether for 10sec or lock.

I'd like to mention that this appears an "us against them" feel to it and I would like to ask everyone to avoid it if they can. While I'm not keep on the huge disk space is required argument, Jan, that partition is a little small, provided the amount of free space left over. This topic is not important though, as I have had a couple days of no issues and while I use PD9 more, the issue is rearing its head again.

I would like to hear other thoughts from the regulars about their experiences.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
My problem is exactly as YogiBear described. After I move the timeline (either on the timeline itself or on the video window in the top right) back and forth for a while the video in the preview window will be stuck at a certain frame. I can still move around the timeline - the video is just not updated. If I stop moving the time line it will take about 8s to 10s for the video to jump to the correct frame.

So I think it is the same problem.

Regarding system resources. When I tried to look at task manager while doing this nothing unusual happens in terms of memory or CPU use. My memory usage is only 1.4 GB and stable while it happens. CPU usage does not exceed 15%. Therefore I do not understand the remark on 4GB not being enough. Perhaps it will be a problem for complex projects but for this particular problem I'm not sure. It happens when I start PD fresh and just open one video file and start moving the time line.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2011 20:38

William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
You do not have the same issue I am facing. My issue is that the software locks up for that time period or for good and nothing can be done with the program.
As forum OG stated, its best to keep the issues in seperate threads, I'm going back to my thread.
CapsPro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2011 02:41 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, YogiBear & Jan our symptoms are the same.

I, too, can recreate the problem with one short 10 sec video clip (no effects, transitions), simply dragging the slider across the timeline. The preview freezes for around 9 secs. Likewise, it is not the entire program freezing, I can continue dragging the timeline, but the preview remains frozen until I have stopped dragging and 9 seconds has elasped, then it will refresh.

I will also add that this problem occurs nearly all of the time, but every now and then, it disappears for a little while. But I cannot find anything that is being done differently to achieve this.

FredB, I agree that each machine and problem is UNIQUE! However, when the SYMPTOMS appear IDENTICAL, one would be SILLY not to attempt to troubleshoot the issue together. The idea of a forum is to have people collaborate information. Some of it is relevant, some of it is not. A good troubleshooter can determine what info is important and what is not, but only if they have all of the information at hand.

I also agree that problems should be reported on separate threads. Everyone who is experiencing this or any other problem should create a new thread. But if your problem sounds the same as this, I would appreciate it if you also posted here, as you may (or may not) have a vital piece of information to help us out.

Regarding the Video Card, what do you think of the 1G GTX560? Any experiences?

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2011 22:15

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
This thread:

One member's issue/problem per thread. If you didn't start this thread then you need to post your issue and details under a different NEW topic heading. By all means read and contribute to find a solution but your issue and data should be posted elsewhere please and not here.

Posts get cluttered, issues get submerged and solutions provided can be unrelated to the prime issue.

Forum Moderator

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm pretty convinced that I (and also YogiBear) have the same problem as CapsPro who is the original poster of this thread. In particular the consistent 8 s timing of the freeze (I measure it a couple of times) can not be a coincidence.

For troubleshooting, I thought it would be useful to know that different users with different systems have this same problem.

But if my information is not productive I will hold my peace and closely follow how CapsPro original problem is resolved.
YogiBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2011 07:41 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
All,
I've separated my problem into this thread as Dafydd requested:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/19008.page#99012

It seems that the latest patch (2930) is causing my problem.

CapsPro,
In your original post you say you install PD then patch to 2930. What version is your original install? Have you tried not patching to 2930?

Regards,
David.

RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Fred ... My post removed per request ... apologies, I posted against page1 not looking further than my nose!
Will F/U this issue if needed after I receive my new boxed version.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2011 03:22

CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
[Post New]
RonH;
Everyone seems to be ignoring poor Dafydd...issues appearing to be related are not always and the "clutter" makes it hard for us to respond to your SPECIFIC needs.

Looks like you are about to update so here is what I suggest:
1. Create a new thread
2. Post your DXDIAG file for the Senior Editors to look at.
3. Let us look at it BEFORE you install the new program

Be advised that many laptops have issues running PD9, even the newest ones (using 2 GPUs and Optimus).

Plan on installing in the following order:

1. Install the boxed set
2. Verify the version you have by using PART A of the link below
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
3. Open the program and insert the License Key and create a basic project (like with one Cyberlink Sample video)
4. Go through the tabs (Edit, Produce, Burn) and Register the components when you are prompted.
5. Install the newest PD9 patch

FB

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 14. 2011 15:31

William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
David, did you load the patches one by one or went direct from 2330 to 2930?

Do all box sets of PD9 come un-patched?
YogiBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2011 07:41 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi William,

did you load the patches one by one or went direct from 2330 to 2930?

I started with 2330 installed, tested for freezing then installed the next patch, rebooted and tested for freezing and repeated until I got to 2930, which is where the freezing started.

I've also tried the new 3305 patch and that doesn't fix the freezing. However, rbowser is reporting that the new 3305 patch cures symptoms similar to what we're seeing:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19032.page

Do all box sets of PD9 come un-patched?

The earliest first patch available on the CL website is 2330 so I guess the first batch of retail DVDs to be pressed contained the original unpatched released then subsequent pressing are whatever the latest patched version is.

Over on my thread, we've discovered that the freezing appears to be caused by the source video file interacting with patch 2930. What camera do you use?

Regards,
David

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Patch 3305 did fix the 8s freeze in my case! I can scrub back and forth pretty fast for a long time and the preview window keeps on following it. Too bad it did not seem to help your situation.
rjl1947 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Sep 21, 2011 18:04 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I had this problem on the free trial download of PD9. I don't know what release it was and can't check it out now because the 30 day trial time limit has expired. It was the only issue that prevented me from placing my order for PD9 and I've been reviewing other editing packages as a result. I didn't get the problem when scrubbing the same section of video using the trial version of AVID Studio. Has Patch 3305 resolved the problem?
I'm using an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop (Core i7, Raedon graphics, 8GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit)
The video was AVCHD, recorded on a Panasonic HDC-SD900. The sympoms I got were exactly as described at the start of this forum.