Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 Freezing/Lags while Scubbing Timeline
CapsPro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2011 02:41 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I am experiencing a problem with PD9 freezing for 10 seconds or so, while scanning ("scrubbing") the timeline of a project.

I have uninstalled / reinstalled as directed on this forum:

Uninstalled PowerDirector 9
Uninstalled SmartSound
Uninstalled PhotoNow
Uninstalled WaveEditor
Uninstalled Quicktime

Ran CLCleaner PowerDirector
Ran CLCleaner PhotoNow
Ran CLCleaner WaveEditor
Ran CLCleaner PDR9SmartSound

Updated to latest Video Drivers - NVIDIA 280.26

Remove Temp Windows/Internet Files & Reg Clean

Restart PC

Installed PD9
Installed Content Pack

Restart PC

Updated PD9 to latest 2930 Patch

Restart PC

Launch PD9

Create New Test Project

Import 1 x 10 second MPEG-2 Clip - 720x576 256kbps 10.1MB filesize
Drag Clip to timeline
Scan ("Scrub") through the timeline
PowerDirector freezes while scrubbing - approx 10 secs at a time, until preview updates to the correct timeline location.

I have tried various Hardware acceleration settings, which makes no difference to performance.
Disabling AntiVirus

Hard Drive Setup - Hard drives are defragged nightly
Primary - Windows / Program Files (including PD9) - 73% free space of 232GB
Secondary - Project Files - 50% free space of 1.81T

Attached is DxDiag Reports.

Please assist me with this issue, as it is currently unworkable for me. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Regards,
Steve

Filename
CapsPro-DxDiag-64bit.txt
[Disk]
 Description
CapsPro DxDiag 64bit
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
307 time(s)
 Filename
CapsPro-DxDiag-32bit.txt
[Disk]
 Description
CapsPro DxDiag 32bit
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
622 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
1. Updated to latest Video Drivers - NVIDIA 280.26 That could be one issue as there are lots of reports this driver has problems.
2. A screenshot would help. I use the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 on one computer and have to be careful with what HD is placed in the tracks.
3. What have you set your Preview on? Just set it to "High" and not HD.
4. Where are you "importing" the mpeg from - source location?
5. I had a stall, hang when I used PD a good while ago. I located the issue to a failing NEW HDD and also to a USB located drive needing to be pinged to wake up. Where are your video files located and imported from?

edited - some corrections and more questionsx2 (added NEW)+1

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 01. 2011 05:27

CapsPro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

1) I only just updated my video driver today to try to fix the problem. The problem was occurring with the previous driver also.

2) I have attached two screenshots i. A simple test project (not even HD), with one 48min clip, no edits or effects ii. My capture screen.

3) Preview is normally set to High, not HD... but setting this to Low Quality Preview doesn't help, scrubbing still freezes.

4) Capturing from a Sony HVR-Z5P. Filmed in HD, but capturing at 720

5) Normally, I use a second drive D: for my project files & video clips. D: is internal SATA, not usb. Just now, I copied an MPEG clip from D: to C: (Windows 7/Program Files Drive) and created a new project, and saved the project to C:, to see if the problem was D:, but it didn't change anything. I note that this doesn't rule out a problem with C:, but the rest of the computer is very responsive. If C: was failing I would expect other software to suffer, including Windows in general.

Maybe I could try a different Vid Card. Could you recommend a Vid Card that is particually trouble free? Or other advise?

Thanks again for your help.

[Thumb - capture.jpg]
 Filename
capture.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Capture Screenshot
 Filesize
130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
211 time(s)
[Thumb - timeline.jpg]
 Filename
timeline.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Timeline Screenshot
 Filesize
256 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
215 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Really confusing.
1. The spec of your PC is easily sufficient to edit SD/HD
2. the card is good enough for SD and HD
3. preview settings shouldn't now be a problem as High should be OK.

Video editing software will show up weak spots and when hardware is failing it is often shown when a system is stressed. Now, I really haven't a clue what else it could be.

The rotating icon/cursor is where the system is trying to catch up with instructions. This happens when a drive is too slow, a CPU is struggling or there is insufficient Power (check your Power Unit) to operate all the various demands an editing software makes.

1. Please can you pose the question with online support. http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do
I will refer this thread to CyberLink for them to maybe come back to me with an answer. My ref: 238.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2011 11:09

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please can you carry out a "default sample test".

Look up: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Part H

I'd like you to import more than 3 video files and scrub through them, play them and see what you find out.

Thanks.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
One more thing.
CyberLink noticed you have a PD9 icon in the taskbar.

Are you running PD9 as the administrator?

[Thumb - sdukpd9-20117-pd086.png]
 Filename
sdukpd9-20117-pd086.png
[Disk]
 Description
taskbar icon
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
207 time(s)
CapsPro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Are you running PD9 as the administrator?

Yes, I am running PD9 as administrator. I have tried running as admin & non-admin, but the problem occurs either way.
William.gh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2011 22:00 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Steve,
As you noted, we are having somewhat similar issues with the ~10 sec hang.

I was experiencing this early on and the hang went away but the lock ups stayed. But I am not really sure why I'm not having the 10 sec hang problems any more, other than the only thing I changed was to stop using shadow files. With fast systems that feature is more of a hindrance to PD9 than the HD videos themselves. I am not sure that this is the fix either.

Where did you get all the other CLcleaners?

Good luck with getting past level 1 tech support.
I will continue to update my thread as news arrises: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18784.page
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bought and installed the program yesterday and I have the same problem. Every time I move the triangle along the timeline (either on timeline view or in the trim windows) it initially follows the movement but than gets stuck and takes about 10s to display the right frame.

This is not workable for video editing.

What a disappointment from all the promises of this ultra version! Can this be fixed or do I need to get another video editor?

At least I'm happy other have this
YogiBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2011 07:41 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,
I'm another one with the same problem... While dragging the playback slider across the time line, PD will occasionally freeze for around 10 seconds, CPU usage either increases or decreases (but individual cores are never max'ed out) and the icons to the left of the time line (hat & magic wand, hand, scissors etc) slowly redraw during the freeze.

I bought PD9 Ultra 64 retail (Amazon was a lot cheaper than buying direct from CL - go figure) and this works fine. The CD I received contains version 2330. Patching this directly to version 2930 results in the problem. I haven't tried applying each patch in turn to determine which causes the problem but I guess this will be the next step.

I've tried the usual uninstall, CLClean, registry clean, reinstall procedure without sucess.

I post some more details and dxdiag logs etc when I have some more time, hopefully tomorrow.

Regards
David.

CapsPro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi William.gh,

I got all the Clcleaners from here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15688.page

I don't have shadow files enabled either.

I'm sorry to hear that others are also having this issue; although at the same time I am glad that I'm not the only one

I urge everyone who is experiencing this problem to report it to Cyberlink and refer them to the various threads on here, so hopefully they will realise that it is not a user-related issue.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18784.page

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18786.page

Thanks everyone for your input.

Steve
YogiBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi everyone,
I can recreate the problem with just two pieces of SD footage totalling 12 seconds on the time line! One thing I've noticed is the freeze-up appears to be always the same length, approximately 8 seconds.

The basics of my system are...
Core 2 Quad @ 3GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX560 Ti with 280.26 drivers (also tried the previous version without success)
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
PD9 Ultra 64 (retail)

The DxDiags and a screen capture are also attached. I realise that my RAM is lower than recommended by I'm only editing a few seconds of SD footage with no transitions or other intensive operations. Windows reports my memory usage as (typically) 40% used. Also a word about my hard disks: C is used exclusively for Windows with applications (inc PD) on D and video projects on V. All drives are internal SATA mechanical HDDs.

The video source is MOD files from a Canon FS306.

I've reported the problem to Cyberlink support but I'm not holding my breath...

I'll try the uninstall, CLClean, reinstall followed by each patch individually later in the week.

Regards,
David.

[Thumb - Screen_capture.png]
 Filename
Screen_capture.png
[Disk]
 Description
Screen capture
 Filesize
764 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
198 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
375 time(s)
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
YogiBear,

you mentioned that the icons were "redrawing" during the freeze. What other software do you have running when this happens. (Background or foreground). It seems that some resource is being conflicted or held by another process (a guess would be something that also uses video overlay) I had a tool bar in IE mess up the repaint command in windows, which had a memory leak or kept grabbing more and more buffers.

The painful way to track this down is a clean "diagnostic" boot and turn things on one at a time.
something is happening to several users, but not every one. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
[Post New]
CapsPro;
Both William.gh (one post you linked to) and YogiBear may be having issues because they are lacking adequate harddrive space on the C: partition to run PD9. I don't see a DXDIAG for JAN312, so I can't comment on that.

YOU..are using a GTX 260 card which has been reported to have issues with the latest Nvidia Drivers (rollback to 275.33) and even then, may have some issues with PD9. At least it did for ME.....depending on the files I was working with and how many transitions, etc. I applied. I had the GTX260 and replaced it due to problems with PD9. I now run a GTX465 and have no PD9 issues. Others here run the GTX260 card and don't report issues, so machine environment, background programs, CODECS, etc. matter.

Each machine and problem is UNIQUE! That is why we keep asking for the DXDIAG files, clips, screencaps, etc. To help us "see" the problem.

Your suggestion that you
urge everyone who is experiencing this problem to report it to Cyberlink and refer them to the various threads

will certainly garner attention, but may not help solve the problem for the other users, who do NOT have the same problem as you do. They only have a similar SYMPTOMS.

Just a suggestion, and a caution for others seeking help. We need to take each problem on a separate thread...it helps find solutions.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Sep 12. 2011 17:32

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Though my computer is brand new I did install and re-install PowerDirector and the graphics card drivers (ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670). No effect.

My hard disk is very empty and big - no issue there.

FredB, thanks for your comments. I did attach the DXDIAG file this time...anything to worry about?

Given that what happens during is so similar to the descriptions in the above (the 10s freeze very consistently) but with different hardware it seems this software has a general problem at hand.

Though I do like the software quite a bit if it works, I'm about to give up on it....
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDIAG
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
537 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2011 07:34

[Post New]
Jan312;
See..again with the "This must be a software issue". I am trying to explain that we have better luck resolving issues if people don't just assume that since so many people have the symptom, it must be caused by the software. The Plague is not the same as Chicken-Pox but you might have a high fever with both...just saying!!

However, in your case, there is a relationship (NOT the plague) YOU ALSO are lacking adequate c:drive space and this can cause slowdowns like you are experiencing. From your DXDIAG:

Drive: C:
Free Space: 28.7 GB
Total Space: 70.0 GB

Windows and PD (along with your other programs regardless of which drive they are installed on) need the C: drive space for temporary files. Consider adjusting (or having a technician do it) the partition sizes to give your c: drive about 100 gig or so MORE than it has now.

You only have 4GIG RAM in a 64BIT environment, this is also an impact. Not sure what your Memory Limit is on the MSI board, but more memory will make your problems less.

Also, I am an Nvidia guy, so the ATI users here will have to guide you to the correct drivers from the AMD site. Yours are dated 7/29/2011..the newer drivers may provide better operation, but wait for the ATI folks to comment.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 13. 2011 13:04

YogiBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Rocket,
Thanks for your comments and taking the time to reply. When I say the icons redraw, I mean the animation of these items freeze or update very slowly.

As for other software running while editing, the only applications are usually Thunderbird, Firefox and file explorer, but who knows what other little helper programs are running in the background! I'll add disabling these onto my list of things to do. CL support also suggested I try this.

FredB,
Thanks for your input. Although my C partition only has 20GB free, I can cause the problem with 12 seconds of standard def footage imported and on the time line so I would expect any working files PD puts on the C: drive to be in the ten of megabytes range. Also, I don't see the freezing problem with version 2330 (it's only when I patch to the latest that the freezing occurs) and CapsPro has 172GB free on his C drive, which I would consider to be plenty.

Jan, Steve & William,
Can we confirm that we're all seeing the same problem? I've described below what I'm seeing - do you agree with these statements?

1, When I say PD freezes, I mean the preview window stops updating but I can continue to drag the playback slider along the timeline and the time & position indicator below the preview continue to update normally.

2, Occasionally PD will freeze completely (including the playback slider and the preview window time & position indicator) while dragging the slider along the timeline but it always recovers. I don't see PD crashing completely.

3, The freeze is always the same amount of time, around eight seconds in my case.

Regards,
David.
[Post New]
OK YogiBear;

I see you have the answers you seek..I am outta here! Best of luck.
FredB
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
YogiBear,

Looking at your dxdiag again, it looks like you have three physical disks, two with multiple partitions. The c: partition is WAY too small. I am not sure of why you chopped up the disk, but that combined with only 4 GB of memory in 64bit OS is always going to cause problems. Windows 7 is a resource hog (as bloated or more than Vista ... which went way beyond XP). You have small swap file, so any time windows needs space, like bufferring video during a slider motion ... it will try to swap out some of itself and create those buffers in real memory. If the incoming video is on the same physical drive as swap ... windows will slooooow down and do its housekeeping, then get back to moving buffers from memory to video memory. (it has to unpack/decode video, load into "ready-to-display" buffer, etc. The new processors, big video card buffers and motherboard IO speeds make HD possible, but it takes a LOT of memory (preferrably real rather than virtual).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2011 13:43

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I had a quick look at your DXdiag file you are Running windows 7 64Bit with 4o96mb memory not enough for video editing. I recommend 6 or more GB for video editing.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!