Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD bitrate
Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
You recall that I was creating this DVD for our basic school.
With my old applications at the end Nero was pushing 2 hours of video on a single layer DVD.
With PD, I'm forced to go for a double layer DVD to have the same result : 2 hours of video on a full DV resolution.

I talked today with the company that will duplicate the DVD for me and they told me this :

"2 hours 5 minutes is the default length for a single layer DVD. If you need a double layer for that duration, it means that you produce at very high bitrates 30-40M... which is not a good idea. Even Disney is working with bitrates of 5 even 3 M for their DVDs , simply because many DVD player will start to stutter at high bitrates. Our advice : keep the bitrate low.. 5-6M at the max."

Back to you guys : I'm in the middle of 2 contradictory point of views...
PD Forum tells me : go for double layer and high bitrates...
Duplication company tells me : avoid player compatibilty and go for low bitrates...

sigh...

Hugo

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 31. 2011 15:23

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
there is a problem with low bit rate quality with PD9, when selecting SP or smartfit. Most people (for now) just select HQ and double sided, but burn to folder and use IMGBURN or NERO essentials to reduce to single sided. Eventually Cyberlink will recode their very good 32 bit DVD/MPEG encoder from PD7 and before into 64 bit software (hint hint). The extra step does not take long and imgburn is free ... try it and see the difference.

the HQ encoding is as good as anyone's in the price range or 5x for that matter. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Even Disney is working with bitrates of 5 even 3 M for their DVDs ,

Hugo

All very well for Disney who use a hardware mpeg2 encoder costing hundreds of thousands and have source material which is film or 4K video

Quote:
the HQ encoding is as good as anyone's in the price range or 5x for that matter.

Disagree!! Google will let you know a few comparable priced encoders which do a better job. I am a fan of PD9 for HD but it is pretty poor for SD mpeg transcoding. Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
[Post New]
I understand that PD9, the encoder MPEG2 (SD), lower than the same in PD8, added to this, only the profile HQ DVD resolution is 720x480 and max bitrate CBR 8000.
So I saved the video to file (Producer) 9000 bitrate when possible and use Nero to complete the job, so that links SmartEncoder to avoid recoding the video

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 31. 2011 22:53

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate