Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving the sides of a video clip without aspect ratio.
Atreyu [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 14, 2010 19:44 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm new at this and can't find any information on a particular desired editing capability of PD9, 64bit Ultra.

I'd like to show a video clip and be able to move the right (or left) side of the clip in towards the middle to display a photo or text behind it for a short time and then be able to move the side back to full screen. I'd like to do it without the aspect ration so the video "scrunches in" but still shows the whole thing. I've explored PIP designer and Key frames but can't find anything that does this - unless of course it's there and I missed it.

So, I'm wondering if it's even possilbe to do in PD9. If it's not possilbe as a built-in editing capability, does anyone know of a workaround? Thank you in advance for any help.

Atreyu

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 28. 2011 22:19

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
In the PiP Designer, left pane at the bottom. Maintain Aspect Ratio. Uncheck the box. Then continue on and add your effect. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Atreyu [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jaime-esque,

Thank you for replying. I understand what you said but I don't seem to be able to do what I want with it.

I unchecked the aspect ratio and I'm able to move the right side toward the left the get the result I need. However, once I go to the next tab to set the movement, I lose the capability to move the right side in and the aspect ratio stays. I then tried to set the first keyframe where I wanted the movement to start. I then switched back to the properties tab, unchecked the aspect ratio and moved the right side in. I then went back to the movement tab and set the duration of the move with the third keyframe. With the fouth key I went back to the properties tab and reset the right side back to full screen. This seemed the logical way to do it and the only way that PIP designer allowed me to do it. However, when I played the clip, instead of the right side moving toward the left, both sides moved in toward the middle. I don't understand why it didn't work the way I set it up.

I hope I was able to clearly explain what happened and what I'm trying to do. Thank you again.

Atreyu
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Atreyu,

I am not sure just what it is you are doing. At any rate, you may want to explore the "video crop" feature of PD9 before you get to more complications with PIP.

There are several tutorials available to you, in addition to experts in PIP usage.

If you want to explore the zoom and crop functions, why not start with this clip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lsn369hlk8

It was made for PD8, but works on PD9 too.

Once you can make the clip do what you want, it should be easy to incorporate it into a video, whether you use PIP or simply have it in a separate track below your master track.

Pax

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 29. 2011 21:13

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
Atreyu [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Pax,

Thank you very much for responding to my dilemma. But cropping is not what I'm trying to do. Cropping maintains the aspect ratio of the video, it just focuses on a diffent part of it.

I'm trying to get the right side of the video to move to the left some to expose an area for text. The video would be out of whack making it look squeezed in from the sides but it would still be totally visible. I want the squeezed in look if it's possible to do it in PD9. Have you ever seen a TV program that has ended and as the ending credits are going by, the right side of the program moves to the left so that commercial information can be displayed on the right side of the screen? After the info is done, the program moves back to full screen. THAT'S what I'm trying to create. I hope this better explains the problem.

Thank you again.

Atreyu
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You need to key-frame it in a path.
Each time you need to squeeze the video, you also need to perfectly move the video"box" to the side so it appears the outerside is not moving, just the opposite side is shrinking, then key-frame again, grow the frame, moving the "box" to match the movement of the side you're "growing". Not the easiest thing to explain. But you need to do it with a path. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Atreyu [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Barry,

I THINK I understand what you're saying (LOL). I'll give it a go.

Atreyu
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Atreyu,

Barry explained it well, but I'll just throw this out here, even though I’ve been having trouble reading questions correctly lately.
But I think you are also asking about un-restricted Aspect Ratio changes, in a Custom Motion Path

You are correct. Once you enter “the next tab to set the movement” (as you described it), via the Add/Edit Motion tab, the Aspect Ratio is locked.
If you want to re-size to a different AR, you have to do the following.

Move your scrubber along the timeline till you get to the a new point in your production, where you want your media to be in a new/different position, at new AR, and add a key frame by clicking on the Diamond With Plus Sign button.

Now, if you want to be able to resize the media with no AR restrictions, you will have to go back to the previous window (where the Maintain AR check box is).
So, while the scrubber is still on your just added key frame, click on the Format Properties tab to return to that first screen, and assure that Maintain AR box is still unchecked.
You can now place and resize the media (without the AR being locked), to get it just the way you want.
Once you get it the way you want it, click on the Add/Edit Motion button again, to get back to the Custom Motion path screen. You will now see your media is just as you want it, at key frame number 2. You can now continue on to the next key frame.

Just remember that every time you want to re-size “with an unrestricted AR”, you must first move the scrubber to somewhere on the timeline, then add a new key frame, and then click on the Format The Properties tab, to take you back to the PIP home screen. There, you will again be able to resize your media, “with an unrestricted AR”.
Once sized and positioned, go back to your custom path screen, by clicking the Add/Edit Motion button again.

If you want to just resize at some new key frames, and maintain the current AR, then you can simply re-size without having to go back the other screen, as the AR is locked to the current AR.

A low res example is shown here…

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 30. 2011 02:22

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
I did a test here using only the PiP editor, it is easy to make, That's what I understood.

Video demo, http://youtu.be/RjCyxqgfviM

[Thumb - screen split 2.jpg]
 Filename
screen split 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
428 time(s)
[Thumb - screen split 3.jpg]
 Filename
screen split 3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
460 time(s)
[Thumb - screen split 1.jpg]
 Filename
screen split 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
451 time(s)

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Aug 30. 2011 13:31

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Atreyu [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cranston, PlayVideo, Pax, Barry and Jaime,

Thank you all for the information. It's making sense to me now and gives me a great place to start.

Cranston, you nailed it when you said I was asking about making unrestricted aspect ratio changes in a custom motion path. I just didn't know how to express as well as you did.

I had kinda-sorta had already done much of this but couldn't get it to display properly in the final playback. I'll give your instructions a meticulous reading and try it again. I love your example because it portrays exactly what I'm trying to create.

PlayVideo, thank you very for the screenshots. It vividly shows what everyone else has been trying to tell me.

Thank you all very much. This has been as will continue to be a great learning experience. The program is great but the help offered by the forum is the most amazing part.

Atreyu
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
http://youtu.be/5h3RMsyRz-4

This might help a little. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Atreyu [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much Barry, that helped a lot!! I need more visual explanations than written ones....lol.

By the way, are you the Barry P Gill? If so do you do a lot of PD9 tutorials? Again, if so, I will have to subcribe. Thanks again.

Atreyu
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Barry,

That is really good! Congratulations and thanks.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
It's all about my soundtracks, all else is meaningless. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Excellent demonstration/tutorial Barry! Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips