Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Positioning titles accurately
Rogthedodge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2011 05:29 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to line up a title with a particular point on my main video track. How do I do this? I play the video and pause it at the exact point but as soon as I grab the title the cursor / line / marker thing jumps to the point where the title was positioned thus losing the insertion point that I had identified. For precision editing this is an essential tool, surely?

Thanks
Rog Rog
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rog,

Have you tried positioning your Title/Text, with the Snap To option turned off (un-checked)?

Then click and hold on the edge of the Text Box, while using your keyboards Up-Down-Left-Right keys, to move the Text Box in small individual increments, in any direction you want.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cranston,

I had the same experience too... wanted to move a title to a specific frame in the timeline. Moved the time line marker to the point where the title had to start. But as soon as you grab (by clikcing) the existing title, the time line cursor jumps to the starting point of the actual title location.. so you loose track of where the title had to be moved too...

What we are looking for is a way to avoid the timeline cursor jumping to the location where you click on the title... or to the beginning of any object you click in the timeline..

I don't find/see any option in the preferences , that controls this...

I understand your hint is about positioning something INSIDE the picture...

Hugo

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2011 19:03

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi FLAPPERKES,

Yes, I see now that I was mis-understanding the question.
Sorry folks. A really dumb mistake, and sloppy reading of the question, on my part.
I thought the question was in reference to positioning the actual text.
I see now that the question is in reference to wanting to move existing text already in the timeline.
My mistake. My Bad.

But yes, once you switch from one bit of media to the other in another track (in Clip mode), the scrubber will move to the start of the new chosen clip.

So, in this re-positioning text scenario, one way to workaround this, is to move the scrubber to the new point where you want the text moved to, and put a “temporary” Split in the main video footage.
Then grab your text and move it to that Split (point/line).
If you drag it slowly and gently (with the timeline zoomed in or expanded a bit), the text segment will Snap To that temporary Split, as you drag it to the Split.
Once the text is properly positioned, then highlight both of those main footage clips on each side of the temporary Split, and then right click and choose “Combine”. This will undo that temporary Split, and the text will be at it’s new position, and the original clip will be restored to just as it was, before you temporarily Split it.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2011 19:30

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Rogthedodge,

If you want to insert a Title with precision.

I find that if you find the position, then pause the preview, switch to the Title Room, select the Default title, then click the button to insert on the Title Track, it will start at the position of your scrubber.

[Thumb - Insert Title at scubber_modify.jpg]
 Filename
Insert Title at scubber_modify.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Showing the Video in preview.
 Filesize
63 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
169 time(s)
[Thumb - Insert Title at scubber.jpg]
 Filename
Insert Title at scubber.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Insert at the scubber.
 Filesize
64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2011 19:41

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Rogthedodge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2011 05:29 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Guys. Very helpful work-a-rounds.
Rog Rog