Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
.mov files dont show video
A.Gil [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 28, 2011 04:46 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I need your URGENT help, I am getting married in one weak, and I have a small (BIG) problem with the video clip that im editing.

I have an hd file :
quicktime .mov
1440x1080
25fps
4:3

when I import the file, I only hear the audio, and the video is a blank white screen.
I downloaded a bunch of codecs, I can see the file perfectly with all other movie players (mediaplayer. divx player etc.)

I REALLLYYYY need some help solving this problem... I'v only got a few more days to get this done

MAny thanks in advance to all that can help
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Do you have a sample 5-10 second clip you can attach here?
Also, the ffdshow codec pack is the only one that seems to be non-problematic, remove others.
Do you have the latest Quicktime installed? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
A.Gil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry,

I have attached a 5 sec sample of the clip.
I am not 100% sure I have the ffdshow codec installed, will check it within the hour.
I will check about uninstalling the rest.

Many thanks
 Filename
5sec trim.mov
[Disk]
 Description
5sec Sample
 Filesize
15929 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
179 time(s)
A.Gil [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am attaching a smaller file - shorter trim of the clip. (its only 1 sec long)
 Filename
1sec trim.mov
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5724 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
254 time(s)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 will not play your 5 sec clip on either my 64bit win7 ATi or my 32bit XP NVIDIA systems.
Both quicktimes ask for additional software.
MPCHC on the win7 system will not play it.
Both WMPs will not play it.
VLC on the 32bit will play it.

I've tried converting it with FormatFactory to .mov, .wmv and .mpg without success (although I have not tried every output option.

MediaInfo gives an original size of 1440x1080 but an actual size of 1416x1062 - I suspect this may be the issue??

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi A. Gil,

I don’t have a solution for your issue, and can only report, for the record, my results when testing your 5 sec sample clip.

- I tried your 5 sec clip in PD9 on both an XP and i7 computer.
- Your clip displayed white (with audio), on both systems when imported into PD9.
- Your clip would not play in my QT or WM players on either system.
- I could however play your clip in my VLC Player on my XP system, with no issues. Audio and video looked fine.

I, also tried convering your clip to MTS PAL 1440x1080 in MediaExpresso. The converted file also displayed white in my PD9.

I hope the tech gang here can help you out.
(your Media Info report is attached.)

Filename
A Gil. MediaInfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
223 time(s)
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 will not play your 5 sec clip on my system either, white screen. I did however convert the file with SUPER to several other containers (MOV, MPG, TS) which all played and could be edited in PD9. Maybe that's on option for you.

Jeff
A.Gil [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you all for the info.
I will try converting with SUPER.

The file was recorded from a canon XH-A1, and captured on a mac as a mov file.
Should I simply try to capture it again with a differente extention ? (which one is recomended?)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The file was recorded from a canon XH-A1, and captured on a mac as a mov file.

Do you have access to the original file from the Canon camera?

Your problem may be related to the conversion on the Mac computer. Mac and Windows are not friendly.
Should I simply try to capture it again with a differente extention ? (which one is recomended?)

You should copy the video directly from the Canon camera without any kind of Capture. I see from the specs of that camera, it has a 1394 connection for transfering the video.

Do you have a 1394 port on your Windows computer?
If so what about the supplied canon software for transfering Video from the camera to the computer?

The spec I find is:
Canon Console Image Control & Storage Software Version 1.1
You should be able to install that software on your Windows Computer and then "Play" the video to your hard drive.
Try the format of M2ts if that option is available.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2011 23:53

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

A.Gil [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do have access to the original file.
I will give it a try.

I did manage to change the file type, and it is now loadable.
(the quality is a bit lower, but it fine for now.

Thanks a lot for all the help !