Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to add multiple SRT files
pfsoto [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2011 14:57 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
my video is in 2 pieces, and so are the subtitles, one SRT file for each video segment.
I can't see how to add 2 SRT files.
In the subtitles room, i insert the first file; i select the 2nd video (or not, nothing works) and try to import the 2nd SRT file; However PowerDirect won't ADD the SRT - it only allows REPLACE.

Help would be much appreciated.

thanks, pf
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
You may need to "combine" your SRT files and import as a single file. if you haven't already viewed it perhaps this might help :-
http://youtu.be/qY-Uf42CRjE

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
pfsoto [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Adrian. Thanks for responding...
I had already tried combining the 2 SRT files; I saved the combined files as a TXT file, cause i didn't know how else to save it Power Director didn't like it; i forget what error message it gave me.

The video link you sent was very helpful; i saw there was a way to add a subtitle track - thought that might work; but low and behold, my PD version ( doesn't give me right-click options.

Off to see if i can find out how to work with SRTs and save them as such. If you have any ideas, would love to hear them.

THANKS!

pf

pfsoto [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well i learned something, saving the file in Notepad as an SRT was as simple as giving it the SRT extension.

What i did have to do tho was renumber all the entries added in from the second file, to make them consecutive - after the last entry number from first file.

All is well; too tedious tho
Thanks much for your help
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
pfsoto,
What i did have to do tho was renumber all the entries added in from the second file, to make them consecutive - after the last entry number from first file.

There is a really nice free Subtitle Editor, it works directly with SRT files and can re-number and re-time the captions.

The name is "Subtitle Edit".

http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit

If you work with subtitles you will enjoy using this editor. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: pfsoto,

There is a really nice free Subtitle Editor, it works directly with SRT files and can re-number and re-time the captions.

The name is "Subtitle Edit".

http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit

If you work with subtitles you will enjoy using this editor.

+1 to the recommendation of SubtitleEdit. I had never dealt with sub-titles when I wanted to get an English translation of a Russian film I was interested in. It was so easy to jump right into that program, SubtitleEdit, after I'd found the online group of subtitle enthusiasts, one of which had the SRT for the Russian film I was interested in. It was so easy to work with the program.

Then when I was first testing PD9 before I bought it, I was very happy to see how easy it was to import that SRT file and do some final tweaking with the Russian footage before making a DVD folder of the results.

Pfsoto, in more direct response to your original post - It sounds like you need to make it a two project file project. One of the PD9 video tutorials shows how easy it is to combine two different projects into one large project file. ---I should have found that first before posting-but it's one posted on the PD9 tutorial page, all listed at YouTube. It looked like a simple matter of editing one project then bringing another project in to the same project file--so that no combining into one file is needed before you assemble the two projects into one inside PD9. I hope you can find the tute I'm talking about--

rbowser
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
It looked like a simple matter of editing one project then bringing another project in to the same project file--so that no combining into one file is needed before you assemble the two projects into one inside PD9

That toot is here:
http://youtu.be/gGq_tL5F6Ug
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.