Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Getting DV quality on a DVD in PD
Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I don't seem to succeed in rendering my 1h43 minute compilation to DVD in a well enough quality.
PD always downgrades the resolution to 352x576 to get it fit a standaard DVD (4.7).
Alhough I'm used to get 720x576 (DV quality) on the same DVD disc with even 1h55 min projects...
(used premiere 6.5 and Nero Vision before to do this...)

How can I achieve the same quality via PD ?

Thanks for your input.
Hugo
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
How about in disk preference in the create disk module if you select a 8.5 GB instead of standard 4.7 GB?

If you burn a double layer DVD you can fit about 2 hours at Mpeg2 HQ, which is the best quality DVD.

Double layer DVDs are not that expensive Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the tip.. but I was only wondering why I could succeed in this with my 'old' applications, but not (yet) with PD .. ?

Hugo
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the tip.. but I was only wondering why I could succeed in this with my 'old' applications, but not (yet) with PD .. ?

May be a case of Apple and Oranges.

Powerdirector 9 is a very different program than any other NLE, it is the first true 64 bit video editing environment.

Powerdirector 9 is very capable of producing great looking DVDs, But, if you are asking to put 2 hours of content on a 4.7 GB disk, then you are compressing down to nothing.

What is the bit rate of the video you are trying to burn to the DVD?

A normal commerical DVD has Video in MPEG2 at about 8 Mbps encoding. You are trying to compress the video to about half it normal size and bit rate. You are going to have bad results.

As a test cut your video in half and try MPEG2 HQ on a 4.7 GB disk. I would bet that if you only put one hour or less on a 4.7 GB disk, it would look pretty good.

What is wrong with burning a double layer DVD?
I looked on Newegg.com and found a stack of 25 Double Layer disks for $15. That makes each disk 60 cents each.

Single layer disks are about 38 cents each if you pay $19 for a stack of 50.
Double layer disks are not expensive.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
DV quality depends on the quality of your source video. My camera captures much higher than DVD quality, so anything I put on DVD will be degraded. Now, to the question, PD is not very good at estimating size. Try Carl's suggestion of selecting 8.5 disc and burn to a folder. That may, or may not, give you the size you need for a smaller disc. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Hugo Geyskens
[Post New]
Hi all,

Thanks again for the hint to use double layer DVD's.
Since my projects are meant for use in school (in 50 till 100 copy series) , cost reduction is very important :

Double layer DVD come around 1.50 uptil 2.00 USD over here...

For your informatioin, I used MediaInfo on a DVD I created last year with my 'old' applications and the one I made now with PD.

I'm not such an expert on these 'numbers' : what does it tell you ?

Thanks
Hugo
[Thumb - Nero Visio vs PD DVD Video.jpg]
 Filename
Nero Visio vs PD DVD Video.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Video format Nero vision vs PD
 Filesize
325 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
137 time(s)
Hugo Geyskens
[Post New]
Hi again,

This screenshot shows a clear difference in video quality between Nero Vision and PD.
...which is obvious caused by PD's cutting the screen resolution in halve...

Hugo
[Thumb - Nero Visio vs PD DVD Video SCREENSHOT.jpg]
 Filename
Nero Visio vs PD DVD Video SCREENSHOT.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
860 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
132 time(s)
Carl312
[Post New]
Jaime-esque gave the best suggestion.

Select 8.5 GB disk, then only burn a folder. You do have to use a disk burning software to get the DVD Video from the folder to the disk.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.