Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rotate Video Clip
Edsaid2u [Avatar]
Newbie Location: U.K. Joined: Jul 16, 2011 13:34 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
A friend has sent me a video clip unfortunately taken 90 degrees off the vertical. I would like to show it to a group but can't find a way to rotate it 90 degrees (clockwise) to the upright position.

Can anyone help, please.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ed You learn nothing while you're doing the talking.
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ed,

I haven't been around here for a long time but it seems to me this question repeats every now and then. No wonder, I don't really see this explained in the PowerDirector Help. I think it's a new feature (or its interface) in PD9 and the help file wasn't updated on this one.

Rotating the picture is easy. There's a haircross in the middle of the Preview Window and a circle around it (both in blue) when you select a clip on the timeline. On placing the cursor over this circle, a two-arrow rotary symbol shows up. While this symbol is displayed, hold left mouse button pressed down and drag the mouse around. This rotates the picture. You may further want to resize it; PiP Designer (Modify button) helps center the picture etc...

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 13. 2011 05:35

Edsaid2u [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, bolda.

I spotted it soon after I posted and felt a bit embarrassed. Good of you to help. It's always nice to know help is always out there.

Best wishes,

MarcinB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Poland Joined: Jun 15, 2011 14:23 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!
You can also use the "Rotate Canvas" FX. It will do the same.
Br
Marcin
Edsaid2u [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Marcin. I'll check it out for future reference.

Best wishes,

bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Marcin,

I'm not sure where Rotate Canvas is but I've found that you can also rotate the picture in the Pip Design. A green dot within the picture works the same way at the blue circle in the Preview Window. If you can't see the green dot, you need to reduce the picture size as the dot is just off its perimeter.

I've also found that when using the Slideshow feature for still images, you have to put each image in the correct position outside PowerDirector. If you rotate them in PowerDirector, Slideshow ignores that and uses the images as they're originally saved on your disk.

Cheers...

Jirka
MarcinB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jirka!
"Rotate Canvas" can be found in the FX room and lets you rotate a picture by 90, 280 and 270 degrees.
Cheers
Marcin
bolda
[Post New]
Thanks, Marcin; I see it. It seems to be useless now though as the image rotation available in the Preview Window (and PiP Designer) can be any angle.

No, I actually see a benefit: using the Rotate Canvas effect, you don't need to play around with resizing and centering...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2011 05:29

MarcinB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, seems to be useless, but the rotation by the fixed angles might be faster and you might finish with better quality, as algorithm for this is probably simpler. It all depends on the rotation algorithm implementation for all those cases.
Cheers
Marcin