Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Captured AVI DV subsequently not compatible with PD.
PowerBox [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: Aug 11, 2011 13:35 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
HI,
I am new to this forum having just purchased PD9. ver.9.0.0.2930 (latest update)
I am having problems capturing Mini DV video from my Sony DCR TRV900, which is supported by PD. The Pc platform has been successfully used to capture DV using Pinnacle Sytems DV200 from yesteryear.

Problem 1:

In the capture screen the video plays beautifully through the Firewire connection, and the cam can be controlled.
The quality profile is selected as DV AVI Standard Format. (UK PAL 25fps, PCM Audio)

When I click record the capture begins perfectly for about 3 secs, then the sound changes with a slight high frequency chopping. You have to listen closely to hear it. There is also some, what sounds like, digital audio clipping crackles. Reducing Vol control has no effect.

When I stop capture and PD attempts to import the file I get a message about the format being incorrect.

The recorded clip will not play at all in media player or win movie maker.
The clip plays in VLC media player, but you can detect the sound problems at a lower level. (Slightly better than when recording taking place, live). Some clips have perfect sound. However if you try and fast forward or rewind the clip, VLC looses control, plays at wrong speed or freezes. There are no dropped frames though.

If I set the profile to MPEG 1 or 2 all is captured perfectly, but I want to be able to capture in DVAVI and write my project back to DV tape without encoding back and forth.

Presumably, it is power director that is compiling the clip format, or is it the camera's native format merely fed straight through? Does the firewire card play any role in the construction of the output file?

The firewire card is:

Dynamode PCI-3PFW, which reports as VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller in device manager. Packaged documentation states complies with OHCI spec V1.0 and

V1.1, Microsoft OHCI,DV and SBP-2 driver in all windows systems. Integrated 400 Mbit PHY.

OS is Windows XP Pro. Sound Card: Realtech AC'97 Audio.

Problem 2:

Auto batch capture initially works well providing the scene thumnails. When I stop the process, PD refreshes the thumbnails and they all dissappear!! All the timecodes seem to be intact and you can set it to capture, but the thumnails never return. When I click finish, no clips are even attempted to be imported into the captured content screen. If they had, the problems above then prevent import into the media folder anyway, but none the less, strange.

When quality profile is set to MPEG the same happens but the thumbnails return when the clips import.

Hopefully, I've included enough information for you to be able to suggest what might be happening here.

Any help would be appreciated.
 Filename
Sample Captured Clip.avi
[Disk]
 Description
Sample Captured Clip
 Filesize
5564 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
259 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 12. 2011 07:39

Regards,
James.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi James,
PD9 should be able to capture to DVavi over a firewire connection.

The method hasn't changed in a long while. Please look at PD7's tutorials and see how it is described there.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page

The vast majority of editors have HD cameras and no longer use miniDV. I'm one of those

Hope the information helps. Your camera was last made in 2002, so you might also run into connection and cable issues (worn out/damaged).

PowerBox [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: Aug 11, 2011 13:35 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Since writing I've found I've got a Codec Issue. The old Pinnacle drivers/codecs are causing the problem. Files created from the past with this computer are also causing this problem on this machine, but they are working on my windows 7 machine. I'm on the case. The Pinnacle software uninstaller is just not uninstalling everything, so I'm rebuilding the machine now. Long overdue anyway. Yep! been lovingly looking at new DV cams, but I still have a lot of catching up to do editing my cherished old DV tapes!! Regards,
James.