Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Request NEW BLUE Plug-ins! Get serious about editing!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I have sent a ticket to CL support asking them to consider NEWBLUE plug-ins.
I have 2 NLE's: PowerDirector, and another, I'll call it a code-name...Corbel!
Both NLE's have poor stabilizer functions, especially PD, which is atrocious.
I know, I know, but you don't always have a tripod in your pocket.
So...the "Corbel" is written to allow for NEWBLUE pug-ins, and I own the NB stabilizer, AMAZING for saving shakey footage.
It's the only reason I even own "Corbel", although it's got a leg up in a few effects, for sure (Rotosketch, etc).
A response from CL was...
I understand that, you want to have NewBlue plug-ins in CyberLink PowerDirector software. CyberLink always look for feedback to improve the software. I forwarded your suggestion to product team. Though they are not able to provide certain answer by now, they will consider the suggestion.
If you want Plug-ins, especially NEWBLUE, please send word to CL via a ticket. I'll never open "Corbel" again!
Thanks for your cooperation.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 07. 2011 10:38

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
First I've heard of this, and done some searching and YouTube watching. It would appear that another software proDad Minelli or some such name, is equally good or even better, and the proDad software has a stand-along possibility, by which I assume it can be run independently and provide pre-stabilized fodder to PD9 ? I would be interested if anyone had tried it, and could report back. A trial version is available which would enable one to do some trials. I would be doing it myself, but I just don't have any shaky footage!! (Lies, actually, I am just a bit busy at the moment)

denbigh i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Mercalli has a good reputation, I've seen it around, but a PD plug-in would readily encode to your specs in your timeline.
NEWBLUE is very good, less than 1/2 the price, and is available for many of PD's direct competitors.
As a plug-in, it is also very convenient.
I just love PD after 2930 arrived, and now it's time for new demands! I want NEWBLUE, let me have it!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 07. 2011 19:32

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
When the time is right.... oh master

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Dear Dafydd,
are you trying to slightly indicate that this is a possibility, perhaps v10? Too late for 9, as I imagine it's far more complicated than a simple music plug-in ala Smartsound (which isn't perfect yet).
Let's face it, PD wants to be a major player, so they MUST make this leap to keep pace with other NLE's, several of which are consumer packages in the PD price range.
NLE's that take NEWBLUE. There are also AUDIO plug-ins that I think may already work for CL's WAVE EDITOR.
Adobe
Apple Final Cut
Avid
Corel
Grass Valley
Magix
Pinnacle
Sony Vegas Pro 32 & 64 bit HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Barry,

I have just downloaded and installed the Mercalli stand-alone. I ran it against some jerky clips which I had decided were too jerky to use - it made them definitely usable. I also ran it on a 5 min production, which I had to put together, jerky and all as it was a neices wedding - and that too changed completely.

I take it that these soft solutions use the same sort of algorithms used in some cameras and binoculars? In-camera has the advantage of having spare pixels on the sensor, but the computer-based should ultimately be more powerful as it can bring more computing power to bear, and can be tuned against the particular circumstances.

Unfortunately, the trial version puts a large corner to corner X on the exported file, so I will have to look at the cost.

I am just as happy with a SAL version as a PI, so next thing to find out is whether TRUEBLUE has a SAL version too !! But I am really sold on the idea, how did I manage without.

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Alga-whatims?
Just kidding. It's a matter of price-point for me, and preferring a plug-in. If the Plug-ins were enabled, it would give us a bounty of new FX that would work within PD.
However, good to know you had some success, it's a shame to toss priceless video aside when it can be fixed, if not perfected, by a good stabilizer. I still think I prefer to use the PD timeline and UI for creating the file. Does Mercalli have a good selection of output formats? We may get this thread locked, but it's not really a competing item.
Now, where did I put that tripod... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
I'm afraid my post here will be deleted for advertising (?)....

But here goes:

Barry,
I have both several NB and Mer....i 2.0 plug-ins for another NLE I have.
I have yet to really have had the need for stabelizing (Mer...), other in a couple of pans.
It workes fine alright.
As for NB, my experience so far is that those effects can take quite a lot of power out of my system.
I have yet to learn more about why it is so. As of now, it seems that whenever I
use NB's heavier effects, my machine struggles.
In heavy NLE's there's very much going on, and there might be a thing or two I've yet to
get the hang of.
In any case, just thought I should pop in regarding the subject.

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry's subject is NewBlue as a plug-in for PD9 or PD in the future and not other software products.

I enjoy a good talk on video editing but here, this forum, is for PD and not for other substitute programs.

Any thread or post can/may be removed, yes.

Moderator.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2011 10:20

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Dafydd... if you are still listening... no reason to pull these posts, as they are not promoting a competitive software to PD.

Barry, I prefer a SLA to Plugin for the same reason I have a scanner, a printer and a fax machine. The more integrated and multi-functional, the more the possibility that things will interact and pull each other down. It is a question of separation of concerns, or divide and conquer.

I would love to be able to pre-process anything I use in PD which is not directly related to the fundamental business of video editing and assembly. Some features, like PiP, Visual effects... are unavoidably part of the LVE.

Complexity and reliability enjoy an inverse relationship !

denbigh i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
A good point.
To each his/her own.
I just have ambitions for PD because I like it again.
Seems we've made our points anyway, I want NB for PD, it would be an excellent selling point and widen the consumer pool.
I guess we're done here, except if anyone cares to take the time, drop a ticket to CL and tell them.
Denbigh, you still fax things?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2011 11:39

ClancM
Senior Member Location: New York Joined: May 26, 2011 22:19 Messages: 175 Offline
[Post New]
When first reading this post i had never heard of NB but I've looked into it and think it'd be a great edition to PD. I've often wished something like Boris FX were available for PD.
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Quote: A good point.
To each his/her own.
I just have ambitions for PD because I like it again.
Seems we've made our points anyway, I want NB for PD, it would be an excellent selling point and widen the consumer pool.
I guess we're done here, except if anyone cares to take the time, drop a ticket to CL and tell them.
Denbigh, you still fax things?

Fax things? Not sure what you mean. Is that fax as in 'My name's Friday, just gimme the fax ma'am, just gimme the fax'? i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Well, that takes the biscuit !

I thought to add my support to The Crab's request and sent the following to CL support:
As I have just tried NEWBLUE stabilizer in 'another similar editor to PD' - and been amazed at the success with some of my clips which I had not been able to use as the shake was too much, can I add my support for a plug-in to enable the use of this magnificent software.

I have just this moment received a response, and for the life of me, I am not sure quite what it means...
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand that you want to use another stabilizer in PowerDirector.

I regret to inform you that, you can use another stabilizer in PowerDirector.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 09. 2011 08:48

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
This entire thread has been sent via ticket to CL Tech support. If there are any further comments, let's get them on record and hope CL can work out something with New Blue, it can only benefit PD to better compete. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
Hello People.

First thanks to BarryTheCrab that guided me to this thread.

I've read roughly the posts and I totally agree with many of you that NOBODY here is trying to promote another soft.

If CL understands that, I think NO post here, should be removed.

Instead, all of us are using PD, so this means that we like it and we want to improve it as much as possible.
Since it is the first 64bit native video editor and it is really faster than many others, everything what we can do is just to expect the most, the best of it.

I want to leave clear that I am NOT saying that it is not good enough, instead It could be better.

About the right time to do that and some comments from "Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko" (whom I respect so much for his time and very usefull help in this forum) well it is understandable that some features cannot be added right now or in current version, there maybe plenty of reasons, not just technical ones.

But It is also true that everything can be done with some effort and after all, everything what we are doing is to SUGESST CL to improve and giving them new ideas as customers and users, who are definitely the most proper ones to do that. We use PD so We really know what we need about video editing.

I started using it this year, I've tried with other software, and I finally decided to get PD9 ultra. so I think It's one of the best, with plenty of possibilities and with plenty to improve or enhance . . .

My idea that I've previously posted and BarryTheCrab answered is not only to support plugins from other companies, but also to leave the end user an open API so that programmers can add their own DLLs with custom video effects to PD9, mayby with a DLL and some config files. they could also be submitted to DirectorZone or CL in order to put them available to others if the author agrees.

I'll look for that suggestion and I'll post to CL if I do not find it alreaady.

Thank you everybody for all of your comments.
Really very usefull. I'll try to keep in touch with threads like this, but since I have little time, it's possible that some time (weeks or months) may pass before.

On the other hand I'm using PD almost once a week to process videos and I'm frequently connected through PD interface, but not sure how to post or see posts from within the program. I think only from web is possible.

Regards, Eze
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
Sometimes things are not what they seem, re my post.

I've just popped in to look and read the thread. I cant share all that I know and I don't want editors wasting effort or bashing a thread more than what is needed for the request etc.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 13. 2011 16:15

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
We've said our peace, here now, and this can probably be locked, with just a note to folks who are interested in proposing new features...drop a line to CL, be polite, be clear about your idea, and why you think it's important.
This is regarding FEATURES, not PERFORMANCE.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13. 2011 19:41